xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga Woes  (Read 989 times)

alysher

• Archived User
Vga Woes
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »

Hi all, i have an original xbox 1.6 soft-modded with ndure 3.1. What i want to do is convert my output cable in such a way that i can use a VGA monitor or the original composite cable.

i saw the THIS thread, and read threw it completely several times, and am having issues understanding something.....will it or wont it work on a 1.6 xbox?

This post has been edited by alysher: Feb 27 2013, 05:18 AM

ttsgeb

• Archived User
Vga Woes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »

With this and this, you can make a cable that at least outputs to VGA.  It's not a true VGA mod, but it does the job quite nicely.  The great thing about it is that you don't have to mod your xbox for it to work.  I do recommend using an external 5v supply. I just run it through old cell phone chargers.

As far as making it switch between vga and composite, I believe that has a monochrome composite output on it, but that's no fun.  For something like the 360's standard cables, you'd need to wire in a switch or three to change the video select pins appropriately.

I could make one for you, but for a home system and the price I'd want, there are probably better options *Note: I can't speak personally on the effectiveness of that device.  If you want a good one, probably look for more than 2 minutes in google.*

This post has been edited by ttsgeb: Feb 27 2013, 08:05 AM

alysher

• Archived User
Vga Woes
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »

ttsgeb, thanks for the links! the only one that helps it this one since it shows me all the different pin outs and such that i would need to turn my current cable into a combo one.

since im doing this on a really small budget (less then 15 bucks) it seems its my best option.

im still not sure if the cable will work on a 1.6 xbox tho....from every thing i understood, since the 1.6 xbox has the xcaliber chip, and we cant find out how it works exactly, a hard modded xbox wouldnt put out vga with that cable design.

But since my xbox is SOFT modded the question remains on if this cable will work with it....

Heimdall

• Archived User
Vga Woes
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »

That cable schematic won't help you with VGA at all. The 1.6 doesn't support VGA, nomatter what you do.

To get VGA on a 1.6 you have to use a component cable and an external component (YPbPr) to VGA converter.

You can use that schematic to make a component (the drawing calls it High Def A/V) cable.

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Mar 2 2013, 10:03 PM

alysher

• Archived User
Vga Woes
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:03:00 PM »

Thank you Heimdall for answering my biggest question. now to find schematics for a component to VGA converter.......

Heimdall

• Archived User
Vga Woes
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »

I meant to say "On its own that cable schematic won't help you with VGA."

All I was doing was restating ttsgeb's post to stop you from running down a rabbit hole. We are both saying the same thing - use the cable schematic to get Component from the Xbox, then use an external Component to VGA converter to get your VGA output.

alysher

• Archived User
Vga Woes
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »

actually i understood that from your first post here heimdall. since i wont be able to anything but component with the cable the way it is, ive gone hunting for a schematic to convert the YPbPr to VGA(you know, like the x2vga)

edit...clarified myself, removed stupid question

This post has been edited by alysher: Yesterday, 03:41 AM

alysher

• Archived User
Vga Woes
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »

i found something in my random searches that....im pretty sure will work for transcoding YPbPr to RGB, but i had a thought or 2 on it and was wondering if any one here would know any thing about.

This is what i found....im a complete noob when it comes to electrical equations, so 60% of this site went almost over my head, but what really caught my eye was that its about a xbox transcoder.....one that had been tested successfully.

so, my two thoughts are......when you look at the picture of his prototype, you can tell he used something as a base, question is:did he use a M$ pack to create this?

and why does this look so much like a x2vga? Could this be *gasp* the precursor for the x2vga?