xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question About Digital Optical Audio Cables  (Read 24 times)

RDC

• Archived User
Question About Digital Optical Audio Cables
« on: January 31, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »

As long as it's a Toslink cable you'll be alright.  The brand really doesn't make much difference, except in price.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »

You're welcome

liv2ride

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 06:48:00 AM »

Ok , i didn't want to start another thread, but i was wondering (newb ques) is i could use the toslink audio digital output off an old dvd player i got laying around..coult i use it for my xbox ?..or does it have to be one of the specific ones mentioned in the Xbox Audio/video output guide ?...cuz if i could that would make it soo much easier then trying to find one...thanks..i appreciate.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »

No reason it shouldn't work, I've done it before. It may even be a TOTX17x in the DVD player you tear apart.

Just make SURE you get the connections right. If you can't find a part number on the one in the DVD player to track down the pinouts, a little poking around with a Multi Meter in the DVD player to figure out what is what may be necessary. GND is easy enough, and if you can still turn it on, finding the 5v pin is all done. If it only has 3 pins the obvious tells you the one left is the Input. Let me know if you need any more assistance with it.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »

Look up 6 posts from this one, I told you already. The connector on both the the Reciever and The A/V Pack will get connected through a Toslink cable, same connector on both ends of the cable. Same type of socket on both A/V Pack and Reciever. Only difference is the A/V Pack has the transmitter, the Reciever has the, well reciever. There's no wrong way to hook it up, the light will go through the cable either way.

liv2ride

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

Thanks Alot RDC... I'll pop it open tonight and check it out...I'm having second thoughts about using the dvd case itself for the xbox..i might just open the dvd and punk the Toslink out of it..don't think it should matter, might take the s-video out at the same time, because i already spent a great deal soldering all the outputs on the back and drilling and buying all the connectors for the xbox..(after i thought about using the dvd-player for the outputs) but ahwell...i'll check it out...

I know nothing about toslink, but hopefully with your advise i'll be able to complete this..so like the guide about the output says, i can connect a spdif out to the toslink too right, cuz i got the vga working without the SOG sync seperator, so that was a bit fo a confusion out of the way, but can i still do spdif and toslink connected with the same wires coming out ?....just a thought, but i'll keep you informed on what i do..

I'll def need your help for sure...thanks again..
i'll let you know tonight.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »

You're welcome, and you sure can.

Need to straighten up some of the "lingo" involved first though.

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) Then there are 2 main types of connectors,

RCA which is called a "Coax" Digital connector (looks the same as an other RCA jack, but is usually Orange or Black)

Toslink which is the "Optical" Digital connector.

The Input (signal) for both is the same, the difference being the Toslink needs the 5v to "light up" so it can pass that signal along the cable.

liv2ride

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 06:51:00 AM »

Alright i Got yah now with the S/PDif, I will put a Coax, and the Toslink, Just needed to clarify if they both outputted the same signal  laugh.gif , So now i know that...

I took apart the dvd-player last night, and is it a three-pronged toslink, I dunno how to aproach connecting it, mayb I should pick up a cheap multimeter (always putting the buying part aside ) lol, but yeh, I think i'm ganna go with the dvd case, because on the xbox, i wasn't able to fit all the connectors, no room haha..its so slick tho, but no room..and the dvd player already has most outputs already in holes and everything, the only thing ill have to cut out is the new power cord hole, and use the existing one on the other side for the vga, then it's done..simple as that..

So if you help me out on which way i should approach this, and for the s-video, i'll just look at some diagrams telling me which side emits which colors..and that should pretty much finish it off..Gawd i love XBMC lol...anyways let me know..wanna PM this shit so we don't keep updating this post ?..lol tongue.gif

Thanks again
LIV

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 07:53:00 AM »

I'd say there's more than enough room in the back of the XBOX for just about any set of outputs you'd want to use. Switching it all over to a DVD player case would be a lot bigger hassle, depending on the size of the old DVD player.

The spot right above the A/V and Ethernet jack is an excellent place to add several other types of connectors I believe. Just Dremel out the 3 middle plastic "fins" there and you'll have plenty of room to setup every output connector the XBOX is capable of. That's just how I'd do it.

On a typical 3 pin Toslink, looking at the BACK of it with the pins facing DOWN from LEFT to Right

1 - GND
2 - VCC (5v)
3 - Input

But do NOT take that as how yours is setup, just a "best guess", I'd have to know the part number of the actual Toslink in that DVD player or see the surrounding board top and bottom to see what actually goes where and is what.