xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Xbox Hd To Vga Tutorial Is Up!  (Read 156 times)

gerzand

• Archived User
New Xbox Hd To Vga Tutorial Is Up!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2003, 02:05:00 PM »

Habs69m- that would mean you have a SYNC ON GREEN monitor! lucky you!  ohmy.gif   This does not apply to people who would be using my mod for their NON sync on green monitor or projector.

April- straight out- VGA pin 10 does not need to be connected to anything! im living proof.

Gerzand

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 09:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (gerzand @ Nov 15 2003, 04:40 AM)
Only probem is that you would have to sacrifice the L & R analog audio so you could use it for a  5 BNC to VGA cable. You CANNOT connect a 3 BNC to VGA cable with RCA couplers and expect to have H & V signals with a Sync Splitter mounted inside the HD Pack because there are 5 seperate signals (R G B H V). The only way would be to wire it INSIDE THE VGA to BNC cable .   Gerzand.

You don't have to sacrifice the L and R analog audio.  It has nothing to do with the cable.  And with the sync seperating, yes a 5BNC to vga cable is necessary.  There are two sperate H & V sync wires that can be used in conjuction with the LM1881N chip.

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

Oh, i think i see what your saying. So you would make 2 more RCA plugs built into the HD pack for H & V functionality with the LM1881 chip?

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2003, 12:27:00 PM »

Has anyone successfully followed and completed the mod in my tutorial?

StreetFighter

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2003, 01:02:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

thnx in adavance ..Street

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2003, 02:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (StreetFighter @ Nov 23 2003, 10:02 PM)

a - the schematic doesn't show how he wires need to be connected to the AVIP connector...so... how?

b - what kind of power source should I use? ..isn't there just a pin that provides that 5 volts that are needed?

I already ordered the parts needed so when i got the answer to there questions i can start building  biggrin.gif

thnx in adavance ..Street

All of the info needed is already in the schematic  tongue.gif

a - you should be using a HD pack, so other than the jumpers shown in my schematic which should be soldered inside the avip connector, what else could someone possibly need?

b - as labeled in the schematic, the middle red wire to the 5.1 toslink is the 5v power.

If you want the pinouts for the AVIP because you arent going to be using a prewired HD pack, then go to other posts which have links to sites that show each pin's specific function.

Gerzand

Lifter

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2003, 11:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (rick125 @ Nov 24 2003, 04:44 AM)
Could someone help me??  I've been reading a lot, maybe too much and I just end up confused.  There's a lot about extras chips and what not but I don't think that applies to me.  How do I make a vga cable??  My monitor supports green on sync.  Thank you.

Then you don't even need a custom cable.  Just a VGA bios and a VGA->BNC breakout cable (plus RCA to BNC adaptors).

rick125

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2003, 12:23:00 AM »

Guess I'm even more confused than I thought.  What are those?  I thought since I had sync on green I wouldn't need anything except a cable.

StreetFighter

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2003, 05:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (gerzand @ Nov 24 2003, 12:25 AM)
If you want the pinouts for the AVIP because you arent going to be using a prewired HD pack, then go to other posts which have links to sites that show each pin's specific function.

Gerzand

Hmm i dont have a Hd pack so i guess i'm just going 2 make the cable from this turorial.
I wouldn't be me if i didn't have any questions about that smile.gif

a - what should i use as the Power source

b - what should i use as ground

http://www.xbox-scen...s/vga-cable.php

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2003, 05:49:00 AM »

a -  pin # 1 on avip is 5v power source.

b -  use any R G or B ground for a ground.

Lifter

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE (rick125 @ Nov 24 2003, 10:23 AM)
Guess I'm even more confused than I thought.  What are those?  I thought since I had sync on green I wouldn't need anything except a cable.

Do a search on Google with the words "VGA" "BNC" "breakout" and you'll see what it is and where to buy them.  It's a VGA connector on one end, five BNC connectors on the other- but you only need three of them, the red, blue and green ones.  Buy three BNC to RCA adapters at Radio Shack and attach them to these three BNC connectors.  Plug them into you're component video output of your HD AV Pack.  Plug the other end into your monitor.  That's it.  As long as you have the bios running, you're set.

EDIT:  If your sync-on-green monitor has BNC connectors, then you don't need a VGA breakout cable, just three BNC cables (coax cables w/ BNC connectors).

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2003, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (gerzand @ Nov 17 2003, 07:38 PM)
Oh, i think i see what your saying. So you would make 2 more RCA plugs built into the HD pack for H & V functionality with the LM1881 chip?

Yes, you could do it that way.  Like i was saying, with the 5 BNC cable the 2 other wires are the H and V syncs.  You could, like you said, rig it up to just plug into another set of rca plugs, or just splice the two H and V wires on the BNC cable and wire them directly, like you would in your diagram, to the other appropriate H and V sync in conjuction with the LM1881 chip (or any other sync seperator chip) inside the HD pack.

NATLOZ

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2003, 05:44:00 AM »

Thank you gerzand for an excellent tutorial and discussion. A few questions if I may?

Vcc is ranged from 5 to 12 V for this chip do you have any coments on an "ideal" voltage in that range based on your experience, or simply connect to pin #1 for 5V?

I note the pins 20 | 7 | 4 (LM1881) connections. Do you recomend an additional ground at pin 4 of the LM1881.

A last question if I may? I am confused as to what the Burst/back porch output to pin 5 on the LM1881 IS and were it originates FROM.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience with these trivial questions
Kindest regards
N

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2003, 06:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (NATLOZ @ Dec 17 2003, 02:44 PM)
Vcc is ranged from 5 to 12 V for this chip do you have any coments on an "ideal" voltage in that range based on your experience, or simply connect to pin #1 for 5V?

I note the pins 20 | 7 | 4 (LM1881) connections. Do you recomend an additional ground at pin 4 of the LM1881.

A last question if I may? I am confused as to what the Burst/back porch output to pin 5 on the LM1881 IS and were it originates FROM.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience with these trivial questions
Kindest regards
N

I believe the chip is meant to run at 5v, but it can accept an overhead of up to 7 additional volts (12v max), - so either way it doesnt affect "optimum" operation of the LM1881. Use AVIP pin #1 which is 5v.

for pin # 4 on the LM1881, it is possible to use any ground from R G or B (aka the smaller dotted lines). They are all grounds so it doesnt matter.

The Burst/ back porch has no use in this mod, and im not really sure of a practical use. To tell you the truth, ive never even seen it used anywhere. Just leave it disconnected.

Gerzand

Let me know if you have any other questions, ill be glad to answer them. Cheers!  beerchug.gif

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2003, 01:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (Bean Bandit @ Dec 17 2003, 07:37 PM)
Hello. Quick question about monitors if I may....

So then, standard CRT monitors are either VGA or SVGA, yes? And the Xbox likes Sync-on-green ones the best?

What if I want to run a LinuXbox to a nice flat screen monitor? What standard are these - SVGA, or some other standard? And there is a difference between LCD and Plasma monitors?

Sorry, but these seem like real simple questions........ Just there's no room for a big ass monitor, and I want a 14/15" flat panel now they're getting cheap...

Bean Bandit:

All CRT monitors made today are SVGA, which use VGA connectors.

If you bought a flat screen TUBE monitor it is the same (VGA connector)

If you bought a LCD display it could be either VGA, DVI, or both.

Plasma TV sets usually use strictly DVI.

As long as any monitor you buy (whether LCD or CRT) has a VGA connector, it will work.

The xbox sends out a sync on green signal by default which most monitors dont understand. Thats why with the use of my tutorial with Pixel8 or TATX's bios, you can have a full color picture without a sync-on-green capable monitor.

Gerzand
Pages: 1 [2] 3