xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1.6xbox Won't Load Ms Dash  (Read 90 times)

buffalm

• Archived User
1.6xbox Won't Load Ms Dash
« on: March 18, 2005, 11:46:00 PM »

Launching the ms dash causes the xbox to reboot. Its a 1.6 xbox with a 160GB drive installed. I put the MS dashboard on there over FTP from slayers 2.6 (don't have a cdburner) that didn't work so I removed it and then mounted the original HD in xboxhdm and ftp'd everything in the C partion over to the xbox. (Looks like the same files as were on slayers)
xboxdash.xbe, xboxdashdata.185ead00, xbox.xtf, xbox book.xtf,  fonts/, audio/, xodash/
No luck.

With the modchip enabled (M8+1.6 LBA 06/F) it reboots the xbox and loads evox again when I load the dash. With the modchip disabled it just enters a reboot loop. I can play games from the dvd drive with the modchip disabled and with it enabled  evox works fine and games work ok etc.

I've tried loading it through evox, launching it directly through xbmc and letting it load normally with the modchip off.

I would like to be able to set the clock and manage saved games.

I've seen this problem a few times by using google, but never an answer that didn't say, copy the new dashboard over from slayers, which didn't work for me.

I am not getting any error codes on power up with the modchip off (anymore, I had an 05 until I locked the drive when booting with out the modchip on, but thats gone). No error 21 etc.

Before I swapped HDs, it would load the dashboard, so I assumed that copying all those files over to the new drive would fix it. Are there some files elsewhere that could cause this, maybe in E etc that need to get cleaned?

Any help would be appreciated.

Zero_znc

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »

If you look two or three post below yours you will notice that i have experienced very similar problems on my v1.5.  I didn't mention that the xbox was continually rebooting when trying to boot the MS Dash.

Have since managed to get the xbox to boot to the MS Dash by obtaining a version of the MS Dash off a Version 1 xbox.  I have since noticed that if you use boxplorer to move the Bad MS Dash from the C drive to the F drive and try boot it either through boxplorer or avalaunch I get an error 21 rather than the constant reboot. This usually happens when dashboard files have been corrupted or are missing.

My box is finally booting to the MS Dash using the dashboard files that came with a Version 1 xbox but strangely most of the games on the HDD have begun failing to boot past the initial movie....and if they do they will usually freeze.

Try obtaining a new version of the MS dash and see what happens.  Maybe a version off a slayer disk.  good luck.

buffalm

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(Zero_znc @ Mar 19 2005, 03:31 AM)
Try obtaining a new version of the MS dash and see what happens.  Maybe a version off a slayer disk.  good luck.

I tried this with no luck. used slayers 2.6. Also copied the files off the c partition from the original hd, which it was able to boot with when it was attached. That also fails.

QUOTE(Zero_znc @ Mar 19 2005, 03:31 AM)
My box is finally booting to the MS Dash using the dashboard files that came with a Version 1 xbox but strangely most of the games on the HDD have begun failing to boot past the initial movie....and if they do they will usually freeze.

Have you set your clock? That fixed freezes of games for me when I had that problem before.

Thanks, but still looking for an answer.

buffalm

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

I fixed this problem on my own after some hair pulling. I thought I would share for those who find this problem later.

I wiped the xbox's E partition and then copied over the original E partition and now the dash loads fine.
There must have been something the dash found it didn't like from the old saves  or something missing.
Added bonus, I get all my saved games too.

Thanks to all that read this and thought about how to fix it.