xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Skinning & Zindex  (Read 119 times)

faze3

• Archived User
Skinning & Zindex
« on: August 22, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »

I'm a n00b. Be gentle!

I looked @ the FAQ and its not clear to me exactly how to implement this.

I downloaded one of neverwill's skins and looked @ the skin.xml file. Prior to this, I used Gimp to create three graphics w/transparent backgrounds.

Using what I know of HTML and the example from the FAQ, I changed this to reflect my graphics. Prior to reading the post in the FAQ, I'd never heard of zIndex.

Now, is there any way to preview this on my PC rather than having to push the files to \skins\ to see how they line up?

I've tried using IE 6 and FireFox, but neither display the graphics in the XML file. Allegedly, both support XML.

A search using google came across some pages that read like the zIndex information was supposed to be in a CSS format, but that didn't quite make much sense.

Thanks.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Skinning & Zindex
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »

There is currently no way to preview it on your PC the best you can do is use a graphics program that uses Layers and make it in there to see what it will look like.   And by reading the FAQ I take ti you mean this post
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=491906

faze3

• Archived User
Skinning & Zindex
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »

Yep. That's the page in the FAQ that I was talking about.

I went and took neverwill's skin.xml file and changed it to show my .png files. I haven't tried moving it to my xbox yet as I don't know what to do if I get it over there and cannot see the option to revert back to another skin.

I suppose there's an option to preview the skin prior to committing the change, but don't know where it is. I've only had the box for a couple of weeks so I've not had a chance to really explore the menus.

I google'd for XML viewers and found a couple. I just need to make sure they have a preview option.

I'll reply in this thread if I do.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Skinning & Zindex
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »

It still wont work for you to get a preview of the skin UnleashX uses its own skinning engine that none of the xml veiwers you download will have the slightest clue about.   The best you will get will be a proper layed out text view of the xml file.

As for previewing the skin when yo select it if you only press A once then back to get out it will keep the skin until next reboot.   If you press A twice it will keep the skin forever.
If you do get a dud skin you can always hold back at boot and the default skin will load

faze3

• Archived User
Skinning & Zindex
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »

Thanks for the help Jezz.

I hooked the box back up, loaded the skin I made and saw that I need some SERIOUS work in order for it to look the way I intended.