xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aaaaaaaaaargh, This Is Driving Me Absolutely Nuts.  (Read 180 times)

Dimmuxx

• Archived User
Aaaaaaaaaargh, This Is Driving Me Absolutely Nuts.
« on: October 16, 2004, 09:42:00 AM »

I can't get the video mode switch to work either..   sad.gif

Xbox 1.6 pal
Smartxx v2

corkinator

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 01:07:00 PM »

It definitely does work but just not with all games for some reason.

Example... I have a PAL Xbox and when in PAL mode, ESPN NBA 2K4 (NTSC version) will NOT run.
When I use UnleashX and select the game it automatically uses NTSC (I guess) and the game works.

2K5 (NTSC) also works (although that runs in PAL mode also) but I can't get ESPN College Hoops 2K4 to work.

I haven't played many of my games for a while so I certainly wouldn't have tried them all (mostly PAL) through UnleashX so I'll do that today and reply back.

Dimmuxx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

Most NTSC games works with PAL if PAL60 is enabled because then they will run in pal60 and that's almost the same thing as NTSC. The NTSC games that doesn't work with pal60 runs in 50Hz for some reason. Forcing these ntsc games to run in pal with pal60 forced doesn't work either because they still displays in 50Hz.

How safe is it to switch video mode in the eeprom btw? I mean the eeprom can only be flashed so many times before it stops working. Anybody who knows how many times the xbox eeprom can be flashed?

corkinator

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »

Yeah I've read that before too about a limited number of eeprom changes before it dies or something, but in UnleashX's settings it says 'EEPROM Safe' switching so I'll trust that wink.gif

new2moddin

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »

man, i thought the autoswitch would see that a game is PAL or ntsc and switch the video mode prior to booting the game.  That would be so cool.  Or even under the start menu when you press 'start' on a game, an option to select whether it's an ntsc game or pal (and have it stick for the next time,  not just a manual selector).

in regards to the eeprom flashing,  does that mean i shouldn't use enigmah's switch disc too much.... because that's the only way i can play some of my games properly.

man this sucks big time.

is there a dash that autoswitches properly?

new2moddin

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 09:47:00 PM »

perhaps someone could make up a script, that will bring up an option NTSC - PAL when you start a game.

anything really.

now i'm worried about the eeprom (had it corrupt last weekend, but recovery switch on the xenium=phew).... and losing it.

is there even a game loader that has automatic selection........ i dunno.... just give me something.

thanks again, and for replying too.

unleashx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 07:27:00 AM »

Auto-Switching does exactly that. Changing to NTSC when the game is NTSC, and PAL50/60 when it's PAL. The option on the start menu is sort of a "Force" mode.

I'm not sure if your problem is really about mode switching or something else. There's an intermitent bug when launching an xbox title, related to network stack. Turn of network settings if you don't have a cable plugged in.

It's easy to test what mode it is currently on. Play a game, do an IGR and hit "Y" button. Play another game of different region setting and do it again. Check the mode. Since the dash is configured to be multi-region, it will never switch mode so it will retain the current setting.

Dimmuxx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 07:29:00 AM »

I hope they fix the eeprom safe video mode switcher to the next version of UnleashX because it's the games that doesn't work with PAL60 that doesn't work with the video mode switcher.

The best solution would be to make the ntsc games that select pal50 even though pal60 is enabled to be forced to run in pal60. This would solve all problems for pal xboxs at least. Some PAL games doesn't care if pal60 is enabled either so there must be something in the ntsc games that makes them run in pal50.

Dimmuxx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 07:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Oct 17 2004, 03:30 PM)
Auto-Switching does exactly that. Changing to NTSC when the game is NTSC, and PAL50/60 when it's PAL. The option on the start menu is sort of a "Force" mode.

I'm not sure if your problem is really about mode switching or something else. There's an intermitent bug when launching an xbox title, related to network stack. Turn of network settings if you don't have a cable plugged in.

It's easy to test what mode it is currently on. Play a game, do an IGR and hit "Y" button. Play another game of different region setting and do it again. Check the mode. Since the dash is configured to be multi-region, it will never switch mode so it will retain the current setting.

The auto-switching doesn't work for me at least and forcing them doesn't work either.  The games run in pal50 either way and that makes the sound in movies to stutter. Switching PAL->NTSC in the eeprom fixes this and the games run perfectly.

Most NTSC games works with pal if pal60 is enabled because then they run in pal60 which is NTSC more or less so the problem is NTSC games that doesn't care about the pal60 switch and run in pal50 mode. Forcing these games to run in pal60 would be the best solution for pal users if this can be implemented in some way.

unleashx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

If PAL60 works for you, then force it to PAL60. You can also play with the multi-region setting. You can even override the game settings by modifying items.xml or config.xml. Look for the "Region" attribute and set it to : 1-NTSC M, 2 -NTSC J, 4 -PAL, 7 -Multi-region. Try setting it to 7 and force PAL60 in the dash. As for games in NTSC not loading in PAL, or vice-versa, there's really only so much you can do about it.

Dimmuxx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Oct 17 2004, 04:00 PM)
If PAL60 works for you, then force it to PAL60. You can also play with the multi-region setting. You can even override the game settings by modifying items.xml or config.xml. Look for the "Region" attribute and set it to : 1-NTSC M, 2 -NTSC J, 4 -PAL, 7 -Multi-region. Try setting it to 7 and force PAL60 in the dash. As for games in NTSC not loading in PAL, or vice-versa, there's really only so much you can do about it.

PAL60 works for most games. It's the NTSC games that doesn't work with pal60 enabled and instead defaults to pal50 that is the problem. I can't get them to switch video mode with unleashX. Forcing ntsc or pal60 doesn't work with these games. The only thing that works is to change the eeprom to ntsc. So unleashx is obviously not changing the video mode. I even tried to switch the eeprom to ntsc and then force a pal game to run in pal and that doesn't work either because it still runs in ntsc. sad.gif  

Items.xml only include games that are on the HD or am I wrong because then that won't help me.

new2moddin

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 07:43:00 AM »

still having the same problem.....  can't force PAL, can't force NTSC.

sad.gif sad.gif

anyone having any luck yet?  with a definitive fix.

StormyEmotions

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »

My auto switching works fine i dont know what the hell your doing wrong with it its one of the main reasons i use UnleashX...

I can tell you though that the US version of GTA 3 and VC isnt signed so UnleashX doesnt know if its a PAL game or NTSC (press start on the title and go to information it will tell you the region it thinks it is which for those 2 will be 0) thus keeps it booted in mode your currently in to change this you have to go into the items list (items.xml) and manually input a region which is what somebody has said already in this topic.

this is what your looking for:

<Item TStamp="?????" Action="F:\Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\default.xbe" Region="0" Icon="E:\UDATA\?????\TitleImage.xbx" ID="?????" Preview="F:\Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\preview.wmv">Grand Theft Auto: Vice City</Item>

Change Region="0" to Region="1" and Unleash will boot it up in NTSC everytime you can also check to see if other games also are set to 0 also incase your worried this wont effect your eeprom in the slightest since it doesnt write to it i assume it just changes it "on the fly".

If this doesnt work for you might aswell quit the chances are your not going to get it to work and there isnt anything it could be apart from that (sorry to be blunt)

Also i wouldnt use Force PAL 60hz since i find it breaks a few games which work normally but do enable PAL 60.

Dimmuxx

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »

Must the games be on the harddrive for the video mode switching to work? huh.gif

That would explain why it's not working for me because I run them all from dvds. I've made a menu item  to d:\default.xbe so that I can force them to run in the video mode I want.

new2moddin

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 02:09:00 AM »

smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2