xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unleashx, Why Not Open Source?  (Read 238 times)

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Unleashx, Why Not Open Source?
« on: June 07, 2004, 11:44:00 PM »

This has been gone over before; I don't know if the stance has changed since I was last around, but the usual answer is no.

PaCMaYNE

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 11:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (Nuak @ Jun 8 2004, 06:27 AM)
I'm wondering why UnleashX is not Open Source. It's indiscutible that Unleash it's the best dash, but every version, it comes with a lot of bugs. I'm not complaining because the dash is great, but all the work is made by unleashx, and this is good and bad.
Is good because he takes control over all the code, and he knows what has changed and what doesn't.
Is bad because:
The development of the dashboard is very slow.
UnleashX cannot control all mistakes in the code.
New addons to the dash cannot be made from the community.
It stops compatibility with other systems like Kai.

So, if this dashboard were Open Source:
A controlled group of developers from all over the world could distribute the work toghether.
There could be specialiced mantainers who deal to some especific modules like the savegame manager.
There could be a bug tracker, making easier to find and correct those bugs with priorities.
Of course there could be a donations system for the coders, I think a lot of people would want to make a donation.
People could take a look at the code and understand how the dashboard works. Also people could contribute with code to help fixing bugs and adding new features.

That's my opinion. I don't say that UnleashX should be offered under the GPL, but there are other more restrictive licenses that would fit to the author. Take a look at www.sourceforge.net

That's my opinion, and the decision is yours unleashx.

Word of a programmer.

word

love_tropicana

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »

QUOTE (Nuak @ Jun 8 2004, 08:27 AM)
I'm wondering why UnleashX is not Open Source. It's indiscutible that Unleash it's the best dash, but every version, it comes with a lot of bugs. I'm not complaining because the dash is great, but all the work is made by unleashx, and this is good and bad.
Is good because he takes control over all the code, and he knows what has changed and what doesn't.
Is bad because:

A controlled group of developers from all over the world could distribute the work toghether.
There could be specialiced mantainers who deal to some especific modules like the savegame manager.
There could be a bug tracker, making easier to find and correct those bugs with priorities.
Of course there could be a donations system for the coders, I think a lot of people would want to make a donation.
People could take a look at the code and understand how the dashboard works. Also people could contribute with code to help fixing bugs and adding new features.

That's my opinion. I don't say that UnleashX should be offered under the GPL, but there are other more restrictive licenses that would fit to the author. Take a look at www.sourceforge.net

Word of a programmer.

"The development of the dashboard is very slow."
How long has the dashboard existed? A half year and what you see today is the result, how the hell can you consider that being slowly developed?

"It stops compatibility with other systems like Kai."
As far as i can remember there were another Dashboard group wich started helping out with development of Kai, and therefore also would be the first ones to implement it.. But i could be wrong about this, but this doesn't make it not happening on UnleashX, i'm sure it will.. You'll just have to wait smile.gif

No man or woman can control all mistakes in the code, as long
as there is software there will be bugs, just learn to love it.

There are so many opinions as there are people, somehow i feel it's kind of rude
to keep on bringing up this issue since he's clearly said no before.. Just my view on it.

The thoughts from an end-user smile.gif keke

PaCMaYNE

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 01:00:00 AM »

i dont think its rude at all if this guy is trying to give his view and didnt know that he HAD said NO before....

grebulon

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 06:17:00 AM »

Well, it's not our decision, so what's there to talk about?

Nuak

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 07:27:00 AM »

Ok. UnleashX is great. But closed. I don't like closed code. I don't want to execute something in my console that nobody except the author knows how it works, and what does it do. (For all of you wondering, yes i'm a GNU/Linux user).

About if it is our decision, i'm sure that if everybody claims for an open sourced UnleashX, the author will free it.

And what do you think? Do you think UnleashX should be Open Source software? (Please don't attack me saying that unleashx is marvellous and we have nothing to do with it blah blah blah, this is another topic)

lotw

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 07:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (Nuak @ Jun 8 2004, 08:27 AM)
Is bad because:

Word of a programmer.

So what you are saying is open source has no bugs eh?  Hmm...   That is why XBMC has soooooo many more bugs in it.  Open source does not cut down on the amount of bugs.  Most of the bugs reported so far are user errors, not deleting the UnleashX temp files (save info and items.xml).

Open source wouldn't do anything for this dashboard, except give all the features in it to all the other dashboard makers.

I would rather see it stay closed source.  That way we have more competition, MXM, Avalaunch, tHC and other will add new features to get users to use their dash, Unleashx will add features, we all win.

The reason there is no Kai support is the Kai team.  They are not releasing the code to talk to their engine, except with the Avalaunch team.  The XBMC somehow got it and put it in before the Avalauch team did.

rdeal

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 07:34:00 AM »

i dont think it should go open source...coz like xbmc you get someone fixing something but he also breaks something else which someone else has to fix and it's neverending daily builds like xbmc

Nuak

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 08:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (lotw @ Jun 8 2004, 04:29 PM)
So what you are saying is open source has no bugs eh?  Hmm...   That is why XBMC has soooooo many more bugs in it.  Open source does not cut down on the amount of bugs.  Most of the bugs reported so far are user errors, not deleting the UnleashX temp files (save info and items.xml).

Open source wouldn't do anything for this dashboard, except give all the features in it to all the other dashboard makers.

I would rather see it stay closed source.  That way we have more competition, MXM, Avalaunch, tHC and other will add new features to get users to use their dash, Unleashx will add features, we all win.

The reason there is no Kai support is the Kai team.  They are not releasing the code to talk to their engine, except with the Avalaunch team.  The XBMC somehow got it and put it in before the Avalauch team did.

I didn't know that was a competition.

Code is not magic. XBMP has several bugs because evereday the developers are adding new things. If XBMP were stopped in adding features, you would say something else.

And I know that Open Source doesn't mean free of bugs. Of course not. But in small projects like that (don't compare UnleashX code to Linux, Windows, or Apache code for example), a good project analisis and design, and then a good coding (not all is coding) by developers would make it easier and funnier to code. For now I don't see why Open Source doesn't fit UnleashX.

futbol4kee

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 09:11:00 AM »

if u think about would open source have a positive or negitave affect...

i think it would have a positive one.

PaCMaYNE

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (Nuak @ Jun 8 2004, 03:05 PM)

Code is not magic. XBMP has several bugs because evereday the developers are adding new things. If XBMP were stopped in adding features, you would say something else.

XBMP or XBMC ?

And I know that Open Source doesn't mean free of bugs. Of course not. But in small projects like that (don't compare UnleashX code to Linux, Windows, or Apache code for example), a good project analisis and design, and then a good coding (not all is coding) by developers would make it easier and funnier to code. For now I don't see why Open Source doesn't fit UnleashX.

Funnier or Funner=as in more fun?

PaCMaYNE

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »

haha,, major lagg

red12

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 08:48:00 PM »

of course xbmc has many bugs, but look at the app/dash.. what doesnt it do? but they are still fixing them daily.. i think an open source dash wouldnt be a bad idea..

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 09:19:00 PM »

wink.gif

This has been discussed before and UX stated his reasons as to why the dash isn't open source. Your opinion has been noted before by UX.  biggrin.gif

DaveHShapiro

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 05:11:00 AM »

I think I want UX to b open source only if UH himself wants it to be. I don't know him personaly but from his posts he seems to be a reasonable person that takes pride in his work so I think if he ever determind that he couldn't put the time into it that the project deserves then he would make it open source OR he would recruit a small team to help him.
Pages: [1] 2