xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cant Set Dns With Static Ip  (Read 290 times)

Joseph_Shaw

• Archived User
Cant Set Dns With Static Ip
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »

I can't find any way to set the DNS servers in the network configuration.  when i change it to dhcp, it finds the DNS server no problem.  anyone know how to statically set that as well as the ip address?

Joseph_Shaw

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 02:26:00 AM »

without a dns setting, you can't browse the internet without putting in ip addresses, it has nothing to do with getting your ip address assigned via dhcp.  there is just no place to specify your dns servers when you have a static ip.  when you set it to dhcp, it assignes you an ip address, along with a subnet, default gateway and dns.  when you set it manually, you can only set ip, subnet, and gateway.  there's no place for dns...thats the problem

thaswiftness

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 02:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Joseph_Shaw @ Mar 25 2005, 02:56 AM)
without a dns setting, you can't browse the internet without putting in ip addresses, it has nothing to do with getting your ip address assigned via dhcp.  there is just no place to specify your dns servers when you have a static ip.  when you set it to dhcp, it assignes you an ip address, along with a subnet, default gateway and dns.  when you set it manually, you can only set ip, subnet, and gateway.  there's no place for dns...thats the problem

just curious.. but what are you using the dns for? i didnt know there was anything that used the internet inside the dash  :blink:

drabbit

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(thaswiftness @ Mar 25 2005, 03:02 AM)
just curious.. but what are you using the dns for? i didnt know there was anything that used the internet inside the dash  :blink:

This is an important setting especially for XBMC, if you set XBMC to use the network settings from the dash it can't set the DNS server and you can't get to sites via URLs, only with the IP adress.

Don't ask me how XBMC gets this info from the dash but it does and it works perfectly when using other dashes!

I really hope they add this setting in the next dash also.

SpiderWeb

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »

this dude is right  :blink:
you can't do Anything whit out the DNS
and the box keep sucking up my internet connexion whit out DNS  :grr:  ;)