xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Opendash Progress (screenshots!)  (Read 812 times)

d0wnlab

• Archived User
Opendash Progress (screenshots!)
« on: July 15, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »

(IMG:http://th0mas.xbox-scene.com/images/openbox_140705.jpg)
Here's an image of last night's build.

Everything's skinnable - each text entry can be a different font (except the menu; the whole menu is the same font), any ttf font, any color, any position.. I still have to get alpha support working with my menu, bla bla bla.. anyways it's a bit of a progress report.  Menu system is mostly built, I have to fill in some stubs once it's actually interactive, next up is the input subsystem.

This post has been edited by d0wnlab: Aug 31 2005, 06:06 PM

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 02:43:00 AM »

I think OpenBox is coming off to a great start. Good job on what has been completed so far.
 beerchug.gif

friedgold

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »

Lookin good  B) . I like the minimal look :). I hope you continue to post progress reports - it's good it get an insight into what goes into the development something like this. Congratulations on getting a OpenBox forum as well (is that the offical name now?) - hopefully it will provide an enviroment where people can get involved with this project.

wolf202

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 10:59:00 AM »

looks great, it looks like ur're moving toward evox functionality which is great. exactly what the scene needs. update regularly wink.gif I'll be waiting to test. also does it use a cache? the same as the last version? will they conflict?

EDIT: looks like it works with a debug bios and xig2 now?

-wolf

d0wnlab

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 08:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(friedgold @ Jul 16 2005, 08:17 PM)
Lookin good  B) . I like the minimal look :). I hope you continue to post progress reports - it's good it get an insight into what goes into the development something like this. Congratulations on getting a OpenBox forum as well (is that the offical name now?) - hopefully it will provide an enviroment where people can get involved with this project.

thanks :).  I'll try to post progress reports whenever there's something cool finished or to see.

I think openbox is the official name, it's a bit better than "opendash" :).

As things progress (probably after a beta release) there will be a lot of discussion as to what is missing to make it complete, but my plan is to keep it pretty limited in scope: it's a dash, not an everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink app.

QUOTE(wolf202)
looks great, it looks like ur're moving toward evox functionality which is great. exactly what the scene needs. update regularly  I'll be waiting to test. also does it use a cache? the same as the last version? will they conflict?

EDIT: looks like it works with a debug bios and xig2 now?

-wolf

Thanks!  to be honest the WIP name for the dash was "revolution-x" but I don't think it's appropriate :).  It caches filenames on the fly, and it's pretty fast.  You will have a choice if you want the menu's to scan the XBE's for game name (a bit slower), or just use the directory name (like the opendash beta does, which is faster).  The caches won't conflict since they're just used at runtime.

Actually I never tried running it in a debug bios or anything of that sort - I just used my tv capture card.

Tom

d0wnlab

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »

Further update..

Dash is now interactive (both on computer and xbox).  Added the ability to have dialog boxes and yes/no boxes.  Alpha in menu backgrounds.  Grabs XBE title from the certificate.

I need someone to take some time and make a basic skin for the dash.  Let me know if you're interested.. I can provide you with a windows build of the dash so you can see how it will look without loading it onto your xbox.  That's right, this dash also runs on linux and windows (it doesn't do anything, but it runs..)  The skin will require a background wallpaper, backgrounds for the menu entries (it will be obvious what I mean once you have the windows build to play with), background images for a dialog box and a question box (should have a nice border, place to put the title of the message box, and at the bottom of the dialog box have the little green 'A" Continue "B" Cancel appropriately.)

Skinners should also be comfortable with XML.

Here's an example screenshot of a skin I made in ~5 minutes.  Note that the menu doesn't have to be there - it can be wider/larger/without a background image in each entry/etc.. if you want to it could look exactly like evox.

Note also that this is running on a PC in linux, not an xbox.  That's just because I'm at work so I don't have access to my xbox to test the build (however, it's all cross-platform..)

(IMG:http://th0mas.xbox-scene.com/images/screenshot_180805.jpg)
(IMG:http://th0mas.xbox-scene.com/images/screenshot_180805_2.jpg)

skinners will probably want to be in communication with me to tweak some of the menu handling code, but that won't be a problem.

PM or post here if interested..

Lamer123

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »

is the new one downloadable and does it have an ftp client yet??

Edit also the ability to flash a bios would be awesome . It would change the way modded xboxs were sold .

This post has been edited by Lamer123: Aug 23 2005, 12:35 AM

d0wnlab

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 07:06:00 AM »

yes it will be downloadable (it's completely legal)

no it won't have an ftp client internally.  Yes it has one via a mini linux distribution.

I'll see about bios flashing eventually.  For now, you can do so via raincoat in the minilinux distribution.

Lamer123

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »

I whipped this up in about 5 minutes and could do better .

<a href='http://img346.** Pics Spammed From this Source **/img346/8261/skin2nz.jpg' target='_blank'>http://img346.** Pics Spammed From this Source **/img346/8261/skin2nz.jpg</a>

Let me know if it is kinda what you are looking for .

Also some specs on text and icon placement would help me out . Also what format and size the files would have to be would be awesome . Let me know if you like what you see so far .

Edit: I can't post image shack on here I guess so i dunno how to show it to you . I am on a new network at school and cant gain ftp access to any of my sites so i cant host them their . I'll check into alternative means .

d0wnlab

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »

Give me 2-3 days smile.gif.  

I'll have a windows binary released and a scripting guide.  It should clear up pretty much everything.

Also, I'll consider writing up a quick script to accept images from people.

edit: I just checked out the pic.  Cool stuff!  Once the guide is up it won't be hard to integrate the menu and all that into a skin.

Odb718

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 05:18:00 AM »

for those of you who aren't familiar with imageshack and want to check out the pic, replace .** Pics Spammed From this Source **/ with .** Pics Spammed From this Source **/

Also they havent stopped http://tinypic.com/ images from being posted, you might want to use them.

Keep up the good work guys!
 beerchug.gif