xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Feature Request... (like You Dont Have Enough...)  (Read 760 times)

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
Feature Request... (like You Dont Have Enough...)
« on: September 17, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »

Hey BenJeremy,

Hi All,

I have been working on some scripts for my dad lately... Anyway, I was over at his house this week talking to him about the scripts and he asked me if my MXM scripts could read from/write to the memory card. As I got to thinking about that, I realized that would open up some interesting possbilityes, particularly if you have a good size usb drive that the xbox will regonize as a game save card. I assume that is not already in there. I could not find anything about it... anyway, just thought I would throw that out there... I'm sure even if you liked the idea it would not make it into "o", but perhaps it might show up somewhere down the line?? "p" or "q"... hehe

Thanks as always,
SumDumGuy

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »

I have good news and I have bad news...

Lets see... bad news first... I'm a dip stick and can often be ignored... Doh!!! like now... my last question does not need to be answered...

The good news... yeah... well, I just checked and the memory card just shows up as another drive... "H:\" so I can write some scripts to take advantage of using a game save card... Yeah!!!

Regards,
SumDumGuy

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 09:38:00 PM »

I have been trying to work with the memory card with some scripts lately... I am having some problems with the memory card showing up consistently... If I go to the MS dashboard look at the memory card, then go to evox/mxm, I can see the H:... but then if boot straight to mxm on a dvd i can not see the H: games can access it so its not faulty or anything (I don't think...) anyone else have this problem? No what to do about it?

Thanks
SumDumGuy

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »

ok, after a little more tinkering around... I noticed that the H: is only showing up for me in EvoX... BenJeremy or anyone, was this a problem with n that has been fixed in the WIP or is there any chance I just need to change an XML file or something? Anyone, I am quite anxious to get this to work...

Many Thanks,
SumDumGuy

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (SumDumGuy3 @ Sep 27 2004, 01:05 AM)
ok, after a little more tinkering around... I noticed that the H: is only showing up for me in EvoX... BenJeremy or anyone, was this a problem with n that has been fixed in the WIP or is there any chance I just need to change an XML file or something? Anyone, I am quite anxious to get this to work...

Many Thanks,
SumDumGuy

Sorry about not getting back to you on this... yeah, the WIP starts memory card access at H:, using a patched library (can't control the drive letter beyond that, as it's based on slot). There is a command in the WIP to check the existence of a drive, though...

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (SumDumGuy3 @ Sep 27 2004, 12:34 AM)
I have been trying to work with the memory card with some scripts lately... I am having some problems with the memory card showing up consistently... If I go to the MS dashboard look at the memory card, then go to evox/mxm, I can see the H:... but then if boot straight to mxm on a dvd i can not see the H: games can access it so its not faulty or anything (I don't think...) anyone else have this problem? No what to do about it?

Thanks
SumDumGuy

Maybe the DVD has an older version of MXM (older than n). Or maybe MXM can't detect memory cards plugged in before booting. Play around with it, and post your results here.

This post has been edited by geniusalz: Sep 28 2004, 04:39 AM

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »

BenJeremy,

No problem, I know how it is... I understand completely about the drive lettering, I am not one of the WIP testers yet (more on that in a minute), so I don't have access to the WIP functions but I have been able to successfully test for F and G using the functions in the n6 release. So the only problem now is that as you said "the WIP starts memory card access at H:". I take that to also state, by implication, that n6 (non WIP) does not support Memory Card Access? Is that correct? It's not a big deal, just want to make sure I understand.

Now about that (Not being a WIP Tester). You had mentioned once before maybe considering allowing me to help test. At the time I said thanks but no thanks for various reasons... Fact is that the more I play around with n6 scripts the more I want to be a tester on the WIP. Some of my previous comments still hold true. I am a very very busy person and there will be times when I may have to set it aside for a while and not touch it for quite a spell. That aside, I have a fair amount of experience (from my job) with various types/methods of testing and bug reporting and I think I could be a very good tester. Furthermore, I think I could help with documentation and sample scripts things of that nature. If you are still willing to consider letting me be a WIP tester, I am now very interested in helping. Just drop me a note. oh, btw, in case you notice my rather short history, its not because I am that new to the scene. I have just never been able to recover lost passwords on xbox-scene and I have changed email accounts and rebuilt so much that I have gone through several accounts  :blink: So in addition to SumDumGuy3, I am aka SumDumGuy, SumDumGuy1 and SumDumGuy2. Doh...

Thanks,
SDG

geniusalz,
DVD for sure has n6 on it. And I tried everything I could think of as far as plugging it in before, after, going to ms dash to access memory card then going straight into mxm, cold starts into mxm... you name it and I probably tried it. Anyway, thx for the help but I think I got it figured out now. As recounted in the most recent post and BenJeremy's reply, I think the problem is that I am using n6 and not one of the n* WIP's. I dont think support for memory cards was added until n7. That being said I think that before I was just confused. I new I had seen H: numerous times via FTP, however, after more tinkering I noticed that it only showed up in Evox via FTP. I think all of the previous times that I saw it, I was in Evox and never in MXM.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply and for posting the source code for the Game Save Manager, I have looked at it some. good stuff...

Thanks,
SumDumGuy

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »

unsure.gif , so I'll leave it to BJ.

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 10:41:00 PM »

I'd have to say I'd think it would be alright for SDG3 to be a tester.
I know I've been distant lately cause of work, but I'm trying.

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »

geniusalz & flattspott,

Thanks, BenJeremy has been in touch... and I've gotta tell ya, I am getting a chubby looking over all of the things that have improved in ActionScripting in the WIP. I had looked a little bit before, but now that I can play around with it and kick the tires I decided to go through it again with a little more attention and WOW... Outstanding stuff... Features I kept on wanting to request are all already in there... Gonna start coding some scripts tomorrow and see what I can learn... its going to be interesting thats for sure...

Thanks again all,
SDG