xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is The Scroll Delay Improved?  (Read 693 times)

KAC

• Archived User
Is The Scroll Delay Improved?
« on: August 04, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »

With the current "n" MXM release, when scrolling through games, the scrolling slows down big time when going from game to game if they all have videos.  

If you notice in UnleashX, there is kinda a delay in there for when the video displays after scrolling to a game.  This delay (or whatever it is) allows you to scroll through the games real fast even though they all have videos.

Will the new "o" release have something like that to speed up the scrolling?  <

pelago

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 04:34:00 AM »

Actually, my experience of the latest WIP (with cover art images rather than videos) is that scrolling was worse than 0.9n6 ;-( This was because in 0.9n6 the system seemed to load the images into memory, so that once you had scrolled down the list once, it was quicker scrolling up and down (until you rebooted).

In the latest WIP, it seemed to load the image from disc every time you went up and down the menu, even if it had already loaded the image before, so it seems it no longer keeps the images in memory. This made scrolling up and down slower than 0.9n6.

I've reduced the problem a bit by reducing the size of the images, but the WIP still seems a little less responsive than 0.9n6, which is a shame. I'm hoping there is a configurable option in the WIP to optionally make it behave the same as 0.9n6 in this manner, but I haven't heard back from BJ (I posted this in the thread of WIP problems).

I realise that you're talking about videos rather than images, which I wouldn't expect to be kept in memory anyway, so I'm probably describing a different issue than you are. I just thought it worth me repeating my above observations in a thread specifically about WIP scrolling.  <

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 06:37:00 AM »

Image cacheing will get a bit more attention soon. Some things got cleaned up, and I also plan on enforcing some resource-saving measures (reducing the size of images as they are loaded).

There may be a few other things I'll do as well.  <

Wormz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 05:58:00 PM »

From what I can tell, UnleashX loads the videos after the scroll, while MXM loads it before.  I'm not sure which way is better, as UnleashX does scroll faster but MXM looks better when it scrolls and the video appears right away.  A trade-off we'll have to accept unless there's some way to speed the loading itself up.  <

Yuyu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »

Well .xmv support may help out with the loading, as UnleashX says he noticed faster loading times with .xmv videos compared to .wmv... Whether or not this is true, and/or if it affects MXM will has yet to be seen.   <

pelago

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »

.xmv support would be nice, but I worry it would mean users would have to download XDK utilities (illegally) to convert their movies. It's already hard enough finding compiled binaries for newbies, but having to find the XDK tools too would make it even worse for them!  <

Yuyu

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »

QUOTE (pelago @ Aug 11 2004, 07:14 AM)
.xmv support would be nice, but I worry it would mean users would have to download XDK utilities (illegally) to convert their movies. It's already hard enough finding compiled binaries for newbies, but having to find the XDK tools too would make it even worse for them!

.xmv converted videos are freely available in the games you backup onto your hard drive and through xbox-skins.net, that others have already converted...

Plus, the .xmv converter tool is available in the same place mxm is available...   <