xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Strange Problem With Skins...  (Read 86 times)

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
Strange Problem With Skins...
« on: March 26, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

Have you unzipped/unrared the skins and made sure that the path names were correct?

basically you want to make sure your folder structure looks something like this:

C:\mxmskins\BlackBox\skin.xml

and not like

C:\mxmskins\BlackBox\BlackBox\skin.xml

koldfuzion

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »

well if i read it right,   the skins work,  MXM is just not saving the state (saving which skin was last being used).

How did you put MXM on the box? from FTP from PC,  Ftp Xbox to xbox, or from DVD?

copy any saves to the E drive from any other location?

hehe lots of questions.

Anyway,  you could always try to remove the preferences file (on the E drive.) and boot up, change skin and see if it saves it.  that might fix the problem.

just ftp to the box, or use an xbox file manager and delete /E/UDATA/00004321/pref.xml

hope it works for you.. let us know something back.

CreziB

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »

I believe this is not an mxm problem.  I have posted many times on this topic to no avail.  This happened to me with UnleashX, I talked with others on the forums with the same problem in EvoX, Avalaunch, and XBMP(as dash).  I switched to MXM and haven't had the problem, but I did format the entire drive for a fresh start.  I'd try what koldfuzion said with the prefrences file.  It's something I haven't heard and anything helps...well, sometimes.

There are several threads about this with no answers...perhaps you could search for my name in post search cause I posted in all those topics.  Maybe it'll help answer something for you.

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »

So you mean to say... No app/game launches if a custom skin is selected?  But they all launch if the default skin is selected?  Very strange, I've never heard of that problem.  Can you give more details (bios version, specifically)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »

Agred, very strange problem - I've never heard of this, and there's no reason for this to happen (the launch code has nothing to do with the skins)

ZeroBlade

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 06:57:00 AM »

wink.gif

koldfuzion: ftp's it on pal, was previously using evox so had no probs there. also removing the pref's file didnt work.

also with regards to MxM not saving the skin...
If i enabled the internal skins option then it wouldnt save which skin i'd chosen, however if i disabled internal skins then it would work.

Okay heres the solution.
Basically i think the problem is to do with memory access...
the way i had it set up was that the PBL boots up the evox d6 bios.
No problems if i left the internal skins on in MxM. However if i switched skins nothing would launch...
Out of curiosity i changed to the X2 4977 Bios, and guess what?... Yep, it worked fine.

What makes it strange is that the evoX D6 Bios only fails if i use external skins. So i reckon the external skins cause some confusion in the memory address they reside in?...unsure.gif

but i'm a baka fool so i'll leave it up 2 BJ for the technical stuff  rolleyes.gif

Cheers for the help fellas.

-Z