xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Qwix No Longer Works...  (Read 298 times)

spike0ne

• Archived User
Qwix No Longer Works...
« on: May 18, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »

Hey -

Similar thread I know but I've tried everything listed in all other threads posted here regarding this topic and, so far, nothing works.

Here's the basics:
Qwix worked perfectly and, after a X3 BIOS update (don't remember which and it might be a coincidence), it has stopped working. I can't even manage the games on the Xbox (Qwix sees nothing). But, Qwix can auto-detect the connection to the Xbox, test the connection successfully and extract ISOs (to the PC). And SmartFTP still works fine. Also worked fine with SP2 installed and stopped long after SP2 was installed. To the best of my knowledge, I've done everything possible (using another computer, adjusting settings on both computers, reinstalling Avalaunch v0.4.2 then 0.4.3, etc) and still Qwix doesn't work. The only thing I haven't done is roll-back the X3 BIOS to an earlier version.

The Xbox works and plays everything fine (RSS feeds, games, videos, etc). Except, it won't get the weather or play DVDs in XBMC. But DVDs play fine in the MS dashboard. Weird. But that's another "less important" issue, I think.

NIC settings I've modified (every possible combo of all settings below):
Flow Control
Generate & Respond (default)
Off
Hardware Default

Offload Receive IP Checksum
On (default)
Off

Offload Transmit IP Checksum
On (default)
Off

Here's the Xbox specs:
Xbox v1.0
Thompson DVD
X3 ProSwitch
Xecuter 3 with X3 BIOS v3108
Avalaunch v0.4.3
Static IP address (192.168.1.xxx), default passwords

Here's the computers' specs:
Computer #1
ASUS (P4C800-E Deluxe) mobo / AMI BIOS v1021.007 (latest)
On-board Intel® PRO/1000 CT NIC (latest)
Intel P4-2.8GHz
1GB RAM
XP Pro w/ SP2 (firewall disabled, no AntiVirus, no AntiSpy)
Static IP address (192.168.1.x)

Computer #2
Dell Dimension 2100
On-board CNET PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Intel P3-1.1GHz Celeron
256MB RAM
XP Home w/ SP2 (firewall disabled, no AntiSpy)
Static IP address (192.168.1.x)

Here's the network specs:
PC --> Linksys DSL router --> Netgear switch --> Xbox

Sure, I can extract the ISOs to the PC desktop and then transfer them to my Xbox via SmartFTP. Not a really big problem. Except it would be nice to do everything from one program, like Qwix is supposed to do. I'd love to help finally solve this, so everyone can enjoy Qwix (or at least as much as they did when it worked) but I'm not a programmer. So I'm giving as much info as possible.

If you can help, I'd be damn grateful. Please ask any questions necessary. Thanks.

spike0ne

• Archived User
Qwix No Longer Works...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »

UPDATE

Hey -

Another complete format of the C drive and reinstall of Avalaunch (this makes it the third time) seems to have cleared up the problem. I have no explaination. I had not touched ANY of Avalaunch's files (XML or otherwise) since it's initial install and configuration. Mainly to avoid screwing up how well it was working. I had ONLY uploaded a few dumb little Avalaunch skins that I made myself. Nothing else was touched on the C drive. Oh well, it works now.

Long live Avalaunch!!! Long live Qwix!!!

spike0ne

• Archived User
Qwix No Longer Works...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 09:35:00 PM »

smile.gif

I updated to X3 BIOS v3294 as soon as it came out and haven't had any really problems since then... until today.

I was uploading some files using Qwix (with Avalaunch running) and Qwix froze. The "Average Speed" was slowly going down, no files were being transferred and no progress bars were moving. I've had this happen before so I simply aborted the transfer and rebooted the XBox.

However, at this point, XBMC (which is now my primary dashboard) would not boot properly. It couldn't find the "F" drive, were the XBMC directory lives. So I moved XBMC to the "C" drive and it rebooted fine. I then booted into Avalaunch to continue the file transfer with Qwix. The files transferred fine but it stopped after the last file. 100% ISO Progress, 100% Total Progress and the Progress window is still open. The "Average Speed" has been slowly going down for the last 10 minutes.

It's a little disconcerting to "finish" an upload and not be 100% certain that the upload was successful and non-corrupted.

Sorry to dump so much. Thanks for the willingness to pursue this further.

spike0ne

• Archived User
Qwix No Longer Works...
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »

UPDATE

Hey -

I just learned (shame on me) that if you have a large hard drive that results in an F drive over 256GB, it is possible (and likely) for that drive to become corrupt. Such appears to have happened to me. However, I only converted to an "F only" setup a few days ago (May 28th) and I was having trouble with Qwix long before that. Oh well.