xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Avalaunch Video Settings - Can't Get Signal/see Dash Now  (Read 1114 times)

coldengrey

• Archived User
Avalaunch Video Settings - Can't Get Signal/see Dash Now
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »

Greetings Earth Clan,

Forgive me as this is very difficult as I've not used my modded xbox for years (but recently have wanted to start using again for xbmc) and I've forgotten much about everything!!!!

Do remember running some version of avalaunch. Changed a resolution setting, or similar, as I had a better connection option become available (if I remember correctly)...

Anyways, end result is I now cannot see anything despite the xbox being on.
Cannot even see dash settings to change obviously incorrect setting back to the way it should be...

Any advice how I can correct video display settings, to get a picture again, without being able to see anything???

Thanks guys/gals

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »

What cable connection type and display device are you using?

coldengrey

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 30 2013, 07:41 AM) View Post

What cable connection type and display device are you using?

Was using component and a 4:3 crt tv w 1080i res.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:14:00 AM »

I was hoping it was a monitor that didn't support whatever resolution your Xbox is set to display. I've had that problem myself when try to use the new Dell monitor I bought which supports Component through VGA. I made the mistake of region swapping the Xbox to PAL ie. all interlaced resolutions.

Result: blank screen and no way easy to get it back without having a TV that supports Component too because whilst you can get it to work with a SD type cable on a TV the ED/HD resolution options are unavailable because of the SD cable.

But in your case, assuming the TV supports SD via Component the Xbox should be displaying something.

If you're using an independent make dual purpose Component cable particularly one with Composite and/or S-Video connectors it could/should have a switch to select between SD and HD. Check any switch is set correctly.  

Can you check the Xbox with a SD cable type ie. Composite, S-Video or SCART to that or another TV? If you're still getting nothing on screen then that should at least identify that the problem is with the Xbox and not the connection/display.  

coldengrey

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Sep 2 2013, 06:14 AM) View Post

I was hoping it was a monitor that didn't support whatever resolution your Xbox is set to display. I've had that problem myself when try to use the new Dell monitor I bought which supports Component through VGA. I made the mistake of region swapping the Xbox to PAL ie. all interlaced resolutions.

Result: blank screen and no way easy to get it back without having a TV that supports Component too because whilst you can get it to work with a SD type cable on a TV the ED/HD resolution options are unavailable because of the SD cable.

But in your case, assuming the TV supports SD via Component the Xbox should be displaying something.

If you're using an independent make dual purpose Component cable particularly one with Composite and/or S-Video connectors it could/should have a switch to select between SD and HD. Check any switch is set correctly.  

Can you check the Xbox with a SD cable type ie. Composite, S-Video or SCART to that or another TV? If you're still getting nothing on screen then that should at least identify that the problem is with the Xbox and not the connection/display.

Ok, will check w various types of connections. Will advise if further problem.
Thanks...

BTW: What's the CURRENT Consensus latest and Greatest Dash nowadays????

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:48:00 AM »

I can only recommend a main dash based on my own experience and requirements. Having said that nobody worth listening to could argue against XBMC as it is the most sophisticated by a country mile. If you're wanting to use the Xbox for any multi-media stuff, TV, pictures, video, music etc then there's no other dash like it.

However just for gaming UnleashX (v.572*) is still the dash of choice for many people. Think of it being like an enhanced version of the MS dash with almost all the things you could possibly require to customise it. The File Explorer in particular has a GUI second to none in function and design, featuring an inbuilt text editor and virtual keyboard which can be very helpful. XBMC's File Manager won't, at least none of the versions I've used, even display text documents.

UnleashX's music player is crude in comparison to XBMC and has more than a few flaws but it works OK.  

Avalaunch and Evox etc are considered a bit old and under featured now but have certain capabilities which can still be useful.

Whatever main dash you go for always install another or indeed all the others as Apps.

* I suggest UnleashX v.572, if you can find it, rather than the last released version v.584. The latter is otherwise fine but has a fault in the Games Saves Manager. For some reason it won't dsplay the individual save files on any attached memory card/memory device.