xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: "unknown" Disc Error  (Read 172 times)

trpltongue

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« on: March 22, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »

Hello all,

I posted in an earlier thread but it had some incorrect information and was getting a bit long winded so I'll try to summarize here.

None of my backups are working.  I'll tell you how I made them and what is happening.

1) rip game files from xbox using ftp software
2) patch all xbe's using Qwix
3) create ISO and then optimize using Qwix
4) burn using dvddecrypter (or nero, tried both) at 1x on TY 8X dvd-r (made in japan)
5) boot to evox dash with executer bios
6) insert backup game disc and I get "unknown" for disc type
7) every once and a while, the disc will show up as "game" but when I try to launch it, it returns to the evox menu

My box has a Philips drive in it and my DVD burner is a Pioneer 106 with the latest firmware.  I have burned 1 successful backup ~6 months ago using the EXACT same process.  It still works fine today.  However, I cannot backup any of my new games.  My burner still burns movies and data 100% no problems and I've never had a coaster when burning movies or data.  Yet I've burned 10 different ISO's for xbox and not a single one has worked.  I was able to get the game to launch once, but it froze on me and gave me a DDE and I haven't been able to get it to launch since then.

I have verified that the ISO is a valid ISO by extracting it using Craxtion and ftp'ing it back to the xbox and it plays fine from the hard drive.  Is there anyway to verify the burn so that I can narrow the problem down to my box or my computer?

Thanks all,

Russell <

TDCatcher

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »

That is a lot of information.  I cannot guarantee that this will work, but try a different media.  I have a 1.0 box with an Xecuter 3ce chip and am running Evox.  I think I have a thompson drive, but I am not certain.  Anyway, I tried some DVD+rw's and I burned about 6 and I got ONE to work.  So I thought it must be my burning process, right?  Well After trying many more, still got the unknown error message and the one that did work I got a dirty disc error after a while.  So I decided to try some DVD-r.  Well every one of them worked.  I used FujiFilm discs.  Not sure who actually makes them but the bottom looks purple.  I also tried some DVD+r and those worked also.  It sounds like you are having the same problem that I did, so go out and buy a 5 pack of some different media and see if that solves your problem. <

trpltongue

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 10:13:00 AM »

Actually, that's one bit of info I left out  :D   I tried using 3 different media types.  A ritek G04, a TDK (made in china) and last a Tayo Yuden (made in japan), all DVD-R.  I don't know anyone around here that has a modded box so that I can check to see if the discs will work on another box.

Is there anyway to verify that a disc is burned properly?  Conversely, is there any way to burn a data disc and then just transfer the files to the box from the disc?

Thanks,

Russell <

Chancer

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »

The only thing you can do is burn a copy of slayers or Autoinstaller deluxe (any pre-assembled Xiso) on the same discs you have been using. If that disc boots up then the media and the drive is ruled out. (Don't install anything from it its just to test) If it doesn't start looking from problems with yuor burner/media.
If it boots ok then try using something like simpleXiso to make the iso and burn using RNm  or alcohol

This post has been edited by Chancer: Mar 22 2005, 07:15 PM <

TDCatcher

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(trpltongue @ Mar 22 2005, 09:08 AM)
Actually, that's one bit of info I left out  :D   I tried using 3 different media types.  A ritek G04, a TDK (made in china) and last a Tayo Yuden (made in japan), all DVD-R.  I don't know anyone around here that has a modded box so that I can check to see if the discs will work on another box.

Is there anyway to verify that a disc is burned properly?  Conversely, is there any way to burn a data disc and then just transfer the files to the box from the disc?

Thanks,

Russell

I just noticed something that I didn't realize earlier.  Why are you using Qwix?  Are you also running Avalaunch?  You said that you are running evox.  I would recommend using craxtion over qwix if you are running evox.  Either use disc ripper or you can also just ftp the files over.   I have done both.  If you use ftp, then ftp the files over, then use craxtion to create iso, then create an mds by using dvd decrypter then burn the iso by using dvd decrypter.  See if that works.  I have never had a coaster using this method and the correct media.  I have lots of RW's that don't work, but who cares, they are RW's so I just erase them and use them for something else. <

trpltongue

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »

I also left out (for sake of brevity) the fact that I had also done the same process using Craxtion and WSftp.  FTP'd the files directly, then patched the xbe's and created the ISO with Craxtion, finally burning with DVDDecrypter.  

What did you mean by "create an mds"?  I thought you just created the iso, then burned the iso using DVDDecrypter?

I will try downloading Slayers and burning it.  Hopefully that will help me rule out the media or Xbox drive, if it plays.

Thanks,

Russell

<

TDCatcher

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(trpltongue @ Mar 22 2005, 02:16 PM)
I also left out (for sake of brevity) the fact that I had also done the same process using Craxtion and WSftp.  FTP'd the files directly, then patched the xbe's and created the ISO with Craxtion, finally burning with DVDDecrypter. 

What did you mean by "create an mds"?  I thought you just created the iso, then burned the iso using DVDDecrypter?

I will try downloading Slayers and burning it.  Hopefully that will help me rule out the media or Xbox drive, if it plays.

Thanks,

Russell

When I use DVD Decrypter, it looks for an MDS file.  So I first create an MDS by selecting the ISO that I want to burn.  Then I go and burn the ISO by selecting the MDS that points to the ISO.  I have no idea what an MDS file is, I just know that I have always needed to create one to sucessfully burn a disc using dvddecrypter. <

jesterrace777

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 04:49:00 PM »

an MDS file is one that is specifically read by the program Alcohol 120%.  Don't ask me why they went out of their way to do this.  Anyways, you don't have to select the MDS file each time.  You can manually delete the MDS file and then burn the ISO file as normal.  I do this all of the time since I never use alcohol 120% for DVD Burns.  Anyways, my understanding is that the newest version of DVD Decrypter doesn't force MDS unless you have a FAT32 partitioned harddrive.  I haven't tested this yet though so I can't confirm.  Make sure you have the most up to date version of DVD Decrypter V3.5.4.  http://www.dvddecrypter.com. <

trpltongue

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »

I have never needed an MDS file when burning my movies with DVDDecrypter?

I do have the newest version of DVDdecrypter that I downloaded last night.

I'm going to try cleaning the lens, then if that doesn't work, try burning a Slayers disc from xbins.  If that doesn't work, something is seriously wrong.

Russell <

trpltongue

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »

Okay,

I burned a copy of Slayers on both Tayo Yuden DVD-R (8X burned at 1X) and Ritek G04, as well as a CD-r that I had laying around.  None worked.  My box will occasionally show my burned games as "game" in evox but if I try to load it, the evox dash changes as if it were loading a game, then immediately comes back to the dash.

Through Avalaunch if I try to launch the game, AVA launches the game but it goes straight to the MS "disc is dirty" error in the MS dashboard.

This is all really confusing because my backup of counterstrike works fine.  I'm really thinking it's the burner going bad.  I've been burning 6-8 DVD's a week since my daughter was born 18 months ago (mom is DV happy :)), perhaps the laser is just getting bad?  My DVD backups work fine though.  I just backed up my daughters new favorite movie (Finding Nemo) and didn't have any hitches.  Of course, the Xbox drive is much less fault tolerant than my PC drives and DVD players so perhaps that is part of the problem.

Anyhow, still searching for any help on this.

Thanks,

Russell <

noneed

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »

I doubt the burner should go bad after that little bit of stress you put on it, hell I know people burning @15+ discs a day with 2 year old burners.  I offer one last suggestion, try MOOGUI and/or download the latest gdfimage.  I replaced the gdfimage file in craxtion with a version I got from the usual places, and I got games running that were giving me DDE's randomly (like Halo2, which I own :rolleyes: ). <

jesterrace777

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »

Have you tried burning the discs at maximum speed?  Sometimes Ritek and TY don't perform well unless they are burned at max speed.  The deal with burning at 1x or 2x is reserved for those people who use crappy quality media. ;) <

trpltongue

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »

noneed,

Should I just replace the gdfimage in Craxtion or should I just go ahead and use MooGui?  

Jesterrace777,

That's a good point.  I haven't tried burning at 4X (fastest speed for my burner).  I should probably give that a try and see what happens.

Russell <

noneed

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Mar 29 2005, 02:18 PM)
Have you tried burning the discs at maximum speed?  Sometimes Ritek and TY don't perform well unless they are burned at max speed.  The deal with burning at 1x or 2x is reserved for those people who use crappy quality media. ;)

Very good point, some media is best at its rated max speed.  

Trpltongue,
I don't see the harm in trying both.  I use MooGUI almost exclusively so I give it a glowing recommendation. <

trpltongue

• Archived User
"unknown" Disc Error
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »

Well,

Last night I tried creating the ISO with MooGui and had mixed results.  Now the game reads occasionally as a game, but freezes as soon as it starts up; with the DVD drive constantly spinning up then down.

It seems to me that there is a problem with either my burner, or my xbox drive.  I am using the highest quality media so I think it's safe to rule out the media.  Is there any software to check the quality of a burn?  

I wish there were someone in the area with a modded box so I could see if my burns work in their DVD drive.

Russell <