xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Broken Xbox After Ava?  (Read 454 times)

skorchir

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« on: February 09, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »

Pin ?

So you had a bad experience with avalaunch.. mostly due to video mode switching

Here is how you can fix it according to your Symptoms

NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH SOFTMODDED XBOX'S. IF YOUR XBOX IS SOFTMODDED THEN YOU GOT OTHER PROBLEMS WHICH ONLY A MODCHIP CAN FIX

Symptom 1:

xbox Turns On and Freezes at the Big X Logo Or/And Error Code Displays

Symptom 2:

Xbox Turns On Video Is Scrambled And Flickering. Or Video is Incorrect.

Symptom 3:

Xbox Turns On NO VIDEO, No Sound And Flashing RED

Symptom 4:

Power On/Off 3x FRAG, No Video, No Sound

SOLUTIONS:

Symptom 1:

Create or Use a Boot Disk And And Repair Your C:, Dashboard, XML. This is Dashboard Related due to an error in configuration, Or is unable to locate dashboard.

Symptom 2:

Your Xbox is Set to a Video Setting That Your TV Does NOT Support. Try booting pressing and holding both thumbsticks. If this does not fix it then Get a Hold of "Enigmah Video Switcher" found in the usual places, make a boot disk with it. When its loaded Press "A" for PAL or Press "B" for NTSC. Then Reboot Your Video should work again

Symptom 3:

Ok So you are sitting In This Corner.. Ouch :( Never Fear It Is Fixable Very Easily with the right stuff. You will require a mod chip and programmer or some way of programming a mod chip to go on.

Case 1> You Have a backup of your eeprom. Excellent you can pat yourself on the back for intelligence :D what your need is Eeprom Recovery Package 1. This contains a Patched Cromwell bios with a program called AddEeprom. Get your eeprom backup and use Addeeprom to insert it into the cromwell binary. Flash this bios to your modchip and boot it up. It will Eject the CD-Tray and Your eeprom will be restored! If it didnt work the first time boot it again, or make sure you did everything correct.

IF YOu ARE USING THE ORIGINAL HARD DRIVE THAT HAS NEVER BEEN UNLOCKED AND DONT HAVE A EEPROM BACKUP. The Hard Drive is pretty much useless now. its probly time for you to upgrade to a bigger drive.
Case 2> You DO Not Have a backup of your eeprom.. SHAME ON YOU! But Never Fear I have supplied a EEProm for your Needs. If you Have a NTSC System get EEprom Recovery Package 2. If you have a PAL System you need EEprom Recovery Package 3. Flash This Version of Cromwell To Your Mod Chip and Boot Your System. Your System should now function Again! Great!.

Other Info>

Now you may have a problem with unable to unlock Hard Drive if your hard drive was locked If this is the Case try the password "TEAMASSEMBLY". Hopefully you wont have this problem and all is good. Package 2 and Package 3 Have the HDD Password preset to TEAMASSEMBLY.

Symptom 4:

Something is preventing your bios from loading. Possibilites: MOD Chip is loose or any other mod chip related problem, Your BIOS is HOSED (Due To Improper Flashing of BIOS) Sorry Avalaunch does not support this or you found a fatal Easter Egg. Either Reflash your mod chip with programmer, or Fix TSOP with Proper Mod Chip depending on your system.

I Hope this has helped you a lot and i hope this hasnt scarred your for life but for the future make sure to keep eeprom backups and it would be good to have a mod chip with programmer this way your arnt stuck in the water.

EEprom Recovery Package 1
http://skorchir.homelinux.org/EEPROM_RECOVERY_PACKAGE_1.rar

EEprom Recovery Package 2
http://skorchir.homelinux.org/EEPROM_RECOVERY_PACKAGE_2.rar

EEprom Recovery Package 3
http://skorchir.homelinux.org/EEPROM_RECOVERY_PACKAGE_3rar

I would also like to add that i did not write these programs/bios i am simply supplying it for the needy. I would like to give great credit to the writter of these tools but i cant remember as of where i obtained them. ;)
Very Handy Though

I Have one bank dedicated to this bios for just these situations.
Also Remember Avalaunch being in Alpha/Beta Stages you are a Tester! If you fuck your xbox it is not entirly the fault of the developers. They do their very best to obtain quality. I like to give great appreciation to the avalaunch team for their hard work and their great dashboard. BTW If you need any more pre-release testers you can count me in :)

Please post any success stories :)

Thx

This post has been edited by skorchir: Feb 10 2004, 04:44 AM

Zappo

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »

Two questions about:

Does Avalaunch - like often statet - save the EEPROM values on every boot, so I may gladly recover my EEPROM from this backup.

And second, does the X2 4977 bios really boot without EEPROM settings?

This could fix the problem much easier:

Flashing X2 4977 on another LPC modded XBOX, transfer the LPC to the broken XBOX, boot with both thumb-buttons pressed to restore old EEPROM settings.

And a third: Am I right?

Itzgizz

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »

small prob with this fix...

It doesn't support 1.4/1.5 boxes due to the fact that it uses 1.24dev.  If anyone has a fix on a newer vserion, would be GREATLY appriciated.

the source for the changes to cromwell are HERE just dunno how to use it to patch up a newer version (if possible).

This post has been edited by Itzgizz: Feb 9 2004, 11:15 PM

daweeze02

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »

Cannot find bootloader cromwell-patched.bin

anyone getting this error i have everything in the same directory too.

skorchir

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 08:48:00 PM »

ok 2 and 3 are up. these are prepatched with a eeprom i think from a 1.0

does the X2 4977 bios really boot without EEPROM settings?

Apparantly it does and so do debug bios's only problem is this wont help you *fix* the problem since you cant flash your eeprom with them. it seems it just doesnt work

It doesn't support 1.4/1.5 boxes due to the fact that it uses 1.24dev. If anyone has a fix on a newer vserion, would be GREATLY appriciated

I guess it doesnt ? i dont have a 1.4/5 here to play with

hmm wierd.. It seems addeeprom cant find that filename ?

Zappo

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 09:28:00 PM »

Try to rename it to a 8.3 filename, e. g. cromwell.bin

Apparantly it does and so do debug bios's only problem is this wont help you *fix* the problem since you cant flash your eeprom with them. it seems it just doesnt work

But Avalaunch can - as often stated here - restore the previous EEPROM, when both thumbsticks are pressed on booting. I just haven't heared, if this is in fact the behavior of Avalaunch... can you confirm this?

And if it doesn't, when the box has booted, is there another possibility to restore the EEPROM via a tool, e. g. FlashFXP?

This post has been edited by Zappo: Feb 10 2004, 05:31 AM

firefli

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »

I lost my eeprom by using ava on a softmodded xbox.  If I get a xbit chip and use this fix should it still work on my 1.1 xbox?

Zappo

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

I have just send Joker an email, if he could give us the EEPROM-writing-routine of Avalaunch as a single mini XBE to reflash an EEPROM.BIN on the XBOXs HDD.

This might help, if the XBOX can boot with a X2 4977 bios. So even the V.1.5 XBOXes can be recovered in a simple way - so I think.

I really do not like to get a 200,- EUR paperweight...

BTW: Can anyone describe, how and with which tool to unlock the XBOX HDD with the TEAMASSEMBLY password via PC?

Zappo

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 10:31:00 PM »

Me again:

I've just tested the X2 4977 bios, but the box wont boot: When pushing and holding the power button to turn on the Aladin Advance chip, the eject-led is getting green for a second, then the box turns off.

Is there a special debug-version of the 4977 available?

MosaX

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 11:19:00 PM »

uhh.gif Just to be sure, did the following event in any way change my original bios? If so, may if affect my ability to run XBOX Live or unlock my harddisc?
--
I autoupdated my Avalaunch to v0.48.55 and looked around, by accident happened to press SELECT in Settings:Hardware Info. A dialog "PAL 60" showed on screen. I wasn't sure but I realized something might have changed but didn't dare press SELECT again since I imagined it could then be changing into NTSC mode. I rebooted, tested with a number of games and programs and all worked except XBMP and XBMC which both just wouldn't load. Eventually I went back to Avalaunch and dared cycle back to "PAL I". Now XMBP and XBMC worked again.  rolleyes.gif

I have a XBOX 1.1 PAL, PC-BioXX w/ X2 4980, 120 GB HD Locked.

(A good theme when designing an application is to always "design for errors", that is a function such as video switching SHOULD have one or even two confirmation dialogs or sort.)  blink.gif

dno

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 11:48:00 PM »

Nice one skorchir, top tutorial...

;)  

Zappo

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »

@MosaX

This post doesn't really concern to this topic, does it?

------

Back to topic: I now tried the cromwell-patched bios on my XBOX, but same as the 4977 happend, XBOX is powerd off after a second.

Now I might understand Itzgizz posting: This bios versions don't run on the V.1.5 machines, I didn't get this before.

So what now? Is there a bios to get which works on the 1.4/1.5 XBOXes and boots with damaged EEPROM?

Maybe Team Avalaunch can connect to the Xecuter Team for a favour?

It's not only me, many other have corrupted their XBOX with Avalaunch, this may really save some money...

Itzgizz

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »

As far as 4977 it isn't compatable either with 1.4/1.5.  I sent off an email to the author of the "patched-cromwell" asking for an updated cromwell.  IF I get response I'll be sure to share.

phily

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 01:21:00 AM »

(works only if you have 1.0-1.3 xbox)
I had the problem with no video and a red flashing screen.
This is what i did.

Got a lend of a xbox with a working modchip.

Used XBTool to edit Xecuter2.Build.4977 to boot with the dashboard of your choice (i booted directly to the old installation of evox, never deleted it)

Flashed it with Xecuter2.Build.4977 which i had edited.

I remembered I played with a backup tool awhile ago and didnt delete the files it made smile.gif so i knew i could go back to the old setting!

Placed the working modchip with the now X2.4977 bios into my dead xbox, kept my fingers crossed and boom! it booted ignoring the fecked eeprom! wahoo!
I got the backup of my eeprom and placed it into the root directory of the C drive on the xbox, named it eeprom.bin

Used an app called eepromagic v0.01, it first backups the existing eeprom and then it allowed me to write the backup i had placed on the C drive on the xbox.

Rebooted after taking out the mod and the machine booted and i updated avalaunch with the latest version which doesnt have the options to mess the system up smile.gif

Mental Note: Dont play with options that might feck up the xbox, just leave alone and only change them if I need too.

GoD][Zvert

• Archived User
Broken Xbox After Ava?
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 02:35:00 AM »

ok i had the #3 problem (and while trying the #4 to wink.gif)

i flashed the patched cromwell !! i had a backup (or so i thought somewhere, or at least i had a file called Eeprom in my xbox backup folder...) but nothing happend when flashing that

so i tried the one u supplied... it did the trick but now i can't get passed the Error 6 !!

i am not a total noob at this but all this is kinda new to me so could u explain how to let my xbox Unlock my drive now ???

oh yea i am using a 1.0 with MAtrix chip,
i got a new 80gb and the original 8gb
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5