xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Defrag + Chkdsk ?  (Read 235 times)

manu_xl

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« on: February 05, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »

dude, they stopped the project along time ago

probably too risky. one bug and many data could be lost

edmoncu

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »

oh i see. may i know what was the last version of avalaunch that supported such feature? tried version 0.48.64 of avalaunch but i don't see such feature.

the reason why im into this is that i think my xbox-hdd has a problem reporting the correct available disk space. it usually goes down to 0mb free at times, sometimes 300mb. but i believe my xbox hd's actual free space is more than that because this only started to happen when i was FTP'ing some files from another XBOX to my XBOX when someone accidentally tripped the power cable on my xbox (producing a partial transfer of files).

the joker

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »

been checking a _LOT_ around these areas lately.

"FATX is autodefragged"
*wrong!  it's in fact designed so poorly, it's actually as fragmented as it's possible to get it. If you delete a 16k file, the next file you put in - will cover that 16k slot quite fast - no matter what sized it is.

sooooooooo.... that means we'll need to make this.  And to make a reliable defragger - one need a chkdsk as well.

We've started on these things, and had to do a LOT of research upfront ( thanks to JJ btw - we wouldn't even gotten started without your help ). The defrag class is already made and it has loaded all the info it needs.  Now we just gotta make sure noone looses all info on their drives   hehehehe

And yea.... don't expect this feature in 0.46, we're wanting 0.46 out now - so new features is pushed a bit back.  But for 0.47 this will be a high priority, now that we see how things are set up.

cheers

TwisTz

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 05:58:00 PM »

can't wait to see it!  laugh.gif

Morglum

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »

I cant wait either, i think once avalaunch gets defrag in, enables the flashing of chips, and from what ive read the formatting is already sorted for the most part, this is my new dash, its official.  biggrin.gif

maxgeek

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 06:27:00 PM »

WOOT!

the joker

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 02:21:00 AM »

heh, easy when someone like JJ helps out.  I just wish JJ programmed xbox smile.gif

TwisTz

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 02:36:00 AM »

who is JJ?

Jenny Jones? j/k  laugh.gif

psibob84

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 04:25:00 AM »

a defrag option would be te definitive utility that makes me move over from evox

c-2

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 07:12:00 AM »

sweet .. i'm in for a defrag util :]   my xbox is starting to crunch away at my mame roms ...

GhostHavoc

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 08:12:00 AM »

This feature will make me switch from evox to avalaunch tongue.gif

LumbraX

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 10:18:00 AM »

Only thing im worried about is,  more and more features = slower and slower to load.... :-(

AvaLaunch has the best features out of any App/Dashboard/Emulator but I think you guys will have to add like a Progress Bar (on the boot screen) when loading or something to get alot of people to use it as Deafault Dashboard.

(Just my concern)

sk8dog

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 12:08:00 PM »

probably been answered somewhere but do u hav to load all the features at start or could some be loaded later?  defrag/chkdisk could be something external from the _actual_ dash, like its a menu option or something and load it up to defrag and then when its done u reboot the box, which i think would make sense.

the joker

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 01:47:00 PM »

Don't see why it should be external. I'd like to be able to background it while doing other stuff. Defragging a 120gb harddisk takes _INSANE_ amount of time, and it's a _really_ small add to the code. The size and loadingtime is intentionally - we won't optimize stuff before everything works 100%  ( well, 95+ at least )

things like this is in the code itself... it's not loaded, it's just resting in program memory until called.   But we are gonna use this code for some other things too that noone has done (nor thought about) before. =)

This post has been edited by the joker: Jun 5 2003, 08:49 PM

Allen626

• Archived User
Defrag + Chkdsk ?
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2003, 08:35:00 PM »

sounds awsome,  Im afraid to leave any system on overnight and if i want to defrag a big hard drive i will have to is leaving it on overnight a bad thing?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5