xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Skin.ini Turns Blank When Uploaded To Xbox  (Read 737 times)

dan_plus_o

• Archived User
Skin.ini Turns Blank When Uploaded To Xbox
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »

Hello recently all the skins I have uploaded to my xbox result in a blank skin.ini file. when I open the skin.ini file with notepad it shows it as completely blank. Also when I go to the option menu to change the skin there are a bunch of blank spots for how ever many blank skin.ini files I have.

I have tried to transfer the skin.ini file over and over again and it always turns blank.

Any ideas why?

EDIT:

I just tried FTPing the skin.ini file to a different folder on my F partition and it still makes the skin.ini files blank. So no matter where I upload a skin.ini file it turns blank. I also tried renaming the file to dhks.ini and it still ends up blank.. I have been editing my evox.ini file and thankfully that hasnt turned blank yet.

OOPS, forgot to mention that I am using FlashFXP to FTP the skin.ini file.
I am going to try with windows explorer right now and see if it works to FTP with that instead of FlashFXP.

EDIT:

Okay just did some more testing... I tried saving the skin.ini as a skin.txt file but it still ended up turning blank. I decided to try some random .txt file I had laying around and when I FTPed that all went well and it stayed the same way... So I decided to take that same .txt file and copy over all the stuff that the skin.ini file had in it.. I saved it as the same name as before, FTPed it to the xbox, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) it turned blank... So it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the name of the file but what text it contains inside it. This is messed up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This post has been edited by dan_plus_o: Aug 8 2007, 05:38 AM

dan_plus_o

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »

I tried FTPing the skin.ini file using Windows explorer and they still end up turning blank.

dan_plus_o

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »

I found a way to get around it but it really really sucks..

What I have to do is copy a working skin.ini file to another folder (Through a xbox file browser) then I have to use the text editor in UnleashedX to change the skin.ini file so it works with the new images.

So I am not FTPing andything but makeing a new skin.ini file using just the xbox.

If anyone knows a way to open up a text file through ftp and then edit it that would be a lot better cause then I could edit it on my computer. I tried doing that with windows explorer but I can't figure out how to save over the original one.

apocalypsegene

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that you're transferring the txt files as binary.  Some ftp software just defaults to that xfer format.  That wouldn't explain Windows Explorer doing it also.  *shrugs*  I'm not sure.  First, try another ftp program.  Start with something simple like wsftp and see if that works.

dan_plus_o

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the wsftp trial and the skin.ini files still turn blank when FTPed to the xbox.

It's really annoying cause I have about 40 skins that I want to transfer over.

I forgot to mention... The other day I was FTPing the skin.ini file to my xbox over and over again and this one time the skin.ini file did not turn blank.. This only happens like 1 out of 30 times though.

This post has been edited by dan_plus_o: Aug 15 2007, 05:22 AM

dan_plus_o

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I figured it out..

I feel like a moron for not trying this earlier.

The problem is with evox. I loaded up XBMC and then tried FTPing the skin.ini file over and it FTPed over just fine. So all is good now biggrin.gif I just have to boot up XBMC from now on whenever I FTP over skins.