xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Burned Games And Thomson  (Read 77 times)

Largowinch

• Archived User
Burned Games And Thomson
« on: May 27, 2003, 08:11:00 AM »

Hey
I burned a couple games. First I made a good ISO image file (not with XISO!) but with simplex ISO. Then I burned them with my sony DRU-500A on 2x speed in Nero. They all work good on my philips drive. But my Thomson seem to have problems playing them. On the Thomson, The Sims take a long time to load and hitman wont load the second level. Is there a way to make better backups (perhaps with another burning program?). Or maybe there is a way to make the discs UDF instead of ISO (However, Nero doesent let me choose UDF. It just sais ISO)

This post has been edited by Largowinch: May 27 2003, 03:31 PM

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Burned Games And Thomson
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 08:27:00 AM »

:::SIGH:::

How many times do we have to say that Thomson drives are CRAP?

There's info on tweaking, but please don't even bother asking about the quality - it's a long standing issue (spoken as a Thomson Xbox and Samsung Xbox owner).

Nothing you do will "fix" the problem, with regards to the file system of your discs. It is strictly a media issue.

minimoebius

• Archived User
Burned Games And Thomson
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 09:59:00 AM »

I have not backed up any games on disk...yet, but I have backed up several expensive kids movies so they dont get damaged.  I have discovered that burn speed, media type and firmware version makes a big difference with some dvd players.  Make sure you have the latest firmware and then try burning again, if that does not work, try burning at 1x, if that still does not work then get better media.  Since you are using a sony drive, I recommend getting sony meda since they probably tested the heck out of their own media.

deadspider

• Archived User
Burned Games And Thomson
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 04:29:00 PM »

get better brand and stick to the one that works for you....

Xeero

• Archived User
Burned Games And Thomson
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 04:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ May 27 2003, 11:16 AM)
:::SIGH:::

How many times do we have to say that Thomson drives are CRAP?

There's info on tweaking, but please don't even bother asking about the quality - it's a long standing issue (spoken as a Thomson Xbox and Samsung Xbox owner).

Nothing you do will "fix" the problem, with regards to the file system of your discs. It is strictly a media issue.

For the record, my Thomson has taken every DVD-R I've thrown at it; it is supposed to read DVD+R fairly well also.  Some people say Philips are much worse at DVD+R, but better at reading CD-RW.

As you said, it has more to do with the media than the file system (already using GDFS).

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Burned Games And Thomson
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 04:41:00 PM »

I have a Thomson.  It has done well reading DVD-Rs.  It won't read CD-Rs.  It's pretty good at DVD-RWs and CD-RWs.

In fact, it can read DVD-R media that my PC at work cannot and it can read DVDs that my two home DVD players cannot read (without stuttering).

So I'd say it's pretty good.

Glex25

• Archived User
Burned Games And Thomson
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 04:59:00 PM »

I have to say i personally like the thompson better i have 2 xbox's one with a thompson the other with a phillips. I choose the thompson over the phillips anytime not only can the thompson boot dvd-rw 100% i have had no problems booting up cheap Leda dvd-r. I use gfimage to make an iso and burn with nero. I also love making multi game dvd-r with evo and have had no issues. now the phillips is a whole diff it takes me about 10 tries to make the phillips boot up a dvdrw