xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Aaarrrhhhh- Yager Too Biiiiigggg-5.37gig  (Read 192 times)

concei

• Archived User
Aaarrrhhhh- Yager Too Biiiiigggg-5.37gig
« on: May 24, 2003, 06:22:00 PM »

Im having the same prob. Want to backup yager but to big anyone have any suggestions?

gainpresence

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 06:26:00 PM »

Stick it on your HD if you want to play it without losing things.

Xbox games are pressed on to dual layered DVDs (DVD9).

A DVDR(W) (DVD5) can only hold 4.7GB (or ~4450MB) of data.

concei

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 07:35:00 PM »

Yeah thought of that but cant afford a new harddrive atm. So is there any way to downsample .bik files I have the tools to do it but not sure how?

Jamison

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »

Dont be discouraged. Not all Xbox games are DV9, most are in fact DV5. Its only the most recent and future games that are being pressed DV9. Since most of the disc size comes from FMV sequences, the only way to trim a disc bigger than 4.7GB is to cut them out. Unfortunately, some games wont work at all if you cut the sequences out. My advice is if the game if too big for a disc, run if from the HDD.

darksteppin

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 09:24:00 PM »

Are you trying to rip the pal version? I don't think its out yet here in america. Btw is it a dope game?

bebbeb

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 10:06:00 PM »

usually you can replace a large bik with a smaller .bik, I have not tried this game yet though, give it a try and post your results

Bearhug

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »

With PAL region releases there are often a lot of foriegn language related files on the disc.  I.e French, German, Italian etc.  As the language is set of the xbox settings you can generally remove any of the language files that you won't be using.  I havn't had a look at yeager yet so don't know the file structure, but have a look through an FTP client to wether there are folders labelled as such.

All the PAL games I have removed foriegn language from continue to work fine.  It various on the game how much smaller you will make it though, I think on average about 700mb. But this does vary, Max Pane could have 1.5GB removed.

Not all the PAL games are so convieniently labelled however, so have a play and let everyone know how you go.

GamezMan

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 01:58:00 PM »

Ok, Thanks for the info Guys,

Cant put on hd as i have old mod chip, cannot flash bios.

For those who asked, yeah, its a pal game, and does it rock ??? well iv only played it a little, so i dont want to judge it yet.

So the "bik" files are the cut-senes, hmm, just had a quick look and thers about 1.7 gig of them.

About the language, there is only 1 folder called "loadscreens" and a load of files. so if theres multi-language on dvd, would it only be in a folder ???

More Questions,,, does any 1 know if theres any tuturials on putting games on 2 dics ???
Also, can u use dvdrw, as i would use them to test games like this, i only have 1 dvdrw disc and i tryed copying on it but it did not work, it is an old 1 speed dics. So can u burn on good quality dvdrw's ???

Peace

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 02:28:00 PM »

A certain group released of this PAL game back in April, and said then it was over 5gb so they ripped/downsampled some movies

this released i don't think had the media check protection on it but that don't mean the retail version will be the same.....

This post has been edited by Pizza Pizz: May 25 2003, 09:31 PM

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2003, 02:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (GamezMan @ May 25 2003, 01:47 PM)
About the language, there is only 1 folder called "loadscreens" and a load of files. so if theres multi-language on dvd, would it only be in a folder ???

More Questions,,, does any 1 know if theres any tuturials on putting games on 2 dics ???
Also, can u use dvdrw, as i would use them to test games like this, i only have 1 dvdrw disc and i tryed copying on it but it did not work, it is an old 1 speed dics. So can u burn on good quality dvdrw's ???

Peace

Every game is different, so what works for one may not work for another.

Often multilingual games will have files that just have an extra character (e for English, j for Japanese, etc.)

Two discs...that won't work.  You can't really break a game into two discs and still have it playable without any missing stuff.  Enter The Matrix would be a "close" example, where you can break it up by character, but each disc is missing functionality.  If you just want to back it up (and not have it playable) then yes, you can put it across two discs.

DVD-RWs should work find in your XBOX.  You may have burned it incorrectly.

GamezMan

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2003, 03:12:00 PM »

Ok cheers,

I'm messing about with it now, downsizing "bik" files.

Does any-1 know What is the maximun size i can have the folder with game in B4 i make an iso ???

Cant wait till 2morrow to get some decent dvdrw to try it, only got 1 nomal balnk left an i anit gonna use that.

Peace

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »

ETM  is still very much playable with just a tiny bit of ripping

I bloomin' watched all 22 movies and removed the ones that were not that important

you can remove/replace the lot and get it down to just over 3.1gb - and it still ran ok on my old 4973 bios - patched of course, from h/d

in the end i made a dvd-r that was slightly ripped on a xiso - this played fine from dvd drive

then you had the option to play it from there or install it just about on ya E drive

or if ya had a big F drive then you used the HDD LOADER to load up the dvd-r to it, then a 2nd disc on a cdr contained the missing movies which went in over the replaced tiny movies i did on the dvd-r so you had the game complete with 4.760gb on there - patched of course

ok this 2nd disc was a cdr but was left in udf format so peeps can easily re-burn onto a cd-rw for older xbox dvd drives or failing that if they had a pc ftp xbox connection then they could fire it over from pc coz the pc can read the udf with no problem

even if they couldn't  ftp the cdr they could still play the slight rip version from dvd or from original 8gb h/d even

thus this was a 3 way option for peeps to use/install how they liked

GamezMan

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »

Again thanks.

So whats the maximum size i after downsizing, u mensioned 3.6 gig, but was that for the game u done???
and how do u wacth the movies ???

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2003, 03:51:00 PM »

I installed the whole lot onto a big F drive - ftp'd the lot to PC

found the first intro movie - then replaced it with another movie renamed to the first intro movie x 21 times - that was how i watched all the movies on there in the D:moviesfmv folder

then i left out the larger movies and replaced them smaller movies to make a dvd-r that was 4.060gb and then the "proper" full length movies went on a 80min cdr that was 697mb

if all movies were left out and replaced then it was then 3.1gb on my h/d

took a while but just did it for a bit of fun for the PAL release