xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Burning Problems  (Read 136 times)

BKemp1984

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« on: May 22, 2003, 04:27:00 PM »

In the past, using Windows 2000 and Princo 1x DVD-Rs, I had no problems ripping and burning XBox games. I didn't burn any for a long time, now I've got XP and I use these.  I have tried burning three games (The Thing, Red Faction II, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein). I have tried 2x and 1x using Nero, PrimoDVD, and Stomp NOW. The only one that worked was The Thing using Stomp NOW at 1x. It also happens to be the only game that is small enough for a CD, but I don't see how that could affect it. I've had random problems with the burning software. Nero will let me burn a data DVD but not an image DVD, Prassi took 5 hours to burn RFII, and Stomp thinks it can burn faster than it can. It tells me a 4 gig game is gonna take 7 minutes at 2x, and then the burn meter messes up too. Since The Thing worked, I guess it's not my DVDs, but what could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx, -Mathew

ChadH

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 06:02:00 PM »

Have you put on all the latest patches from Windows update (I think there were some issues with XP and CD/DVD burners). What are you using to create your ISO files?

BKemp1984

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 12:18:00 PM »

I'm fairly sure I'm ok with the updates. I have the thing that tells you when new ones come out, and it hasn't told me in a few weeks. I used xISO to make the ISO files. I never had a problem with it in the past. It worked fine for files to put on CD-RW and it worked for The Thing when I put it on DVD-R. Thanx, -Mathew

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 12:43:00 PM »

Red Faction II & wolfenstein have media check protection on them

the thing hasn't

but this aside it seems like a xp burning problem...

King

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 02:37:00 PM »

The common thing is media protection on those two - not an issue if you have updated to the latest BIOS on your XBOX.

Also, XISO is not recommended.  See the sticky thread at the top of the topic to see why.

BKemp1984

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »

I've never updated the BIOS, so that might be a problem. I also tried Run Like Hell, it didn't work. What strikes me as odd (and I forgot to report on my first post, apologies) is that when you boot with a game it say "MS" under the XBox logo. If not, since I'm using EvoX, it says "Matrix Inside."  As long as I boot a game, original or burned, it says MS. Well it does for these burned copies also. Which leads me to believe it tries to boot it but can't. I could be wrong. I guess I'm gonna have to make my machine a dual boot (Never had problems under 2000) and see if that helps. Sound good? Thanx for the help so far guys, -Mathew

BKemp1984

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 09:41:00 PM »

I tried using GDFImage for Red Faction II, still no luck. I patched it with XBEMIDP2 (rated as being able to patch RF2), still no luck. I've stayed at burning 1x until I get them working, so that isn't it. My brain is wracked

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 01:28:00 AM »

QUOTE (BKemp1984 @ May 30 2003, 02:30 AM)
I've never updated the BIOS, so that might be a problem. I also tried Run Like Hell, it didn't work. What strikes me as odd (and I forgot to report on my first post, apologies) is that when you boot with a game it say "MS" under the XBox logo. If not, since I'm using EvoX, it says "Matrix Inside."  As long as I boot a game, original or burned, it says MS. Well it does for these burned copies also. Which leads me to believe it tries to boot it but can't. I could be wrong. I guess I'm gonna have to make my machine a dual boot (Never had problems under 2000) and see if that helps. Sound good? Thanx for the help so far guys, -Mathew

Some of the newer games have extra copy protection measures in them so you will either need to patch each game that requires one or you can simply upgrade to the newest Xecutor 4976.02 Bios which circumvents the new protection measures (no need to patch with this Bios). I agree that you definitely need to ditch XISO for Simple X or Craxton. I would recommend Simple X since it produces/extracts ISOs perfectly and it lives up to it's name as it is the easiest ISO extraction/creation program out there. You can find in the "TOOLS" section on the opening page of XBOX-SCENE.

This post has been edited by jesterrace777: May 30 2003, 08:32 AM

xander173

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 09:03:00 AM »

Just a thought, and I may be way off track here, but are all your PC HDD partitions using NTFS? FAT32 can't deal with files over 4Gb.

Also, you might be well advised to uninstall all of your burning software and then re-install one at a time testing as you go until you get the desired result.  And make sure you have the latest versions.

Good luck

BKemp1984

• Archived User
Dvd Burning Problems
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 12:04:00 AM »

File systems, that's certainly something I didn't think about. No such luck, I've got NTFS.  :(  Patching and changing ISO creation programs didn't help. I guess I will try to uninstalling the programs. Couldn't hurt and it's better than anything I can think of. I really don't want to have to boot 2000 everytime I want to burn something, but 2000 worked perfectly for burns. Come to think of it, I had a lot less problems in general with 2000. Win2k, I'm coming back!!!!   :beer:   Thanx, -Mathew