xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Recalibrating Screen  (Read 276 times)

sjlee

• Archived User
Recalibrating Screen
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »

I installed Slayers 2.7 on my Xbox a few years ago, and just recently decided to hook it back up.

It works fine for the most part, but I noticed that when I'm trying to play games that I installed to the HDD, some of the video is off the sides of the screen.

Is there a way to recalibrate it?  I looked through the settings, but didn't see an option for video calibration.  The dashboard is the default one, which I believe is EvoX.

When I run XBMC, there is a video calibration, but it seems to only affect XBMC.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1hotjob

• Archived User
Recalibrating Screen
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »

What cables are you using? RWY cables will give you a basic connection. RWRGB will give you HD as will HDMI.

If you are using HD cables you need to go into MS Dash and set the display up for HD. That will probably solve it for you.

sjlee

• Archived User
Recalibrating Screen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Feb 5 2011, 10:03 AM) View Post

What cables are you using? RWY cables will give you a basic connection. RWRGB will give you HD as will HDMI.

If you are using HD cables you need to go into MS Dash and set the display up for HD. That will probably solve it for you.

I'm using component cables (RGB) for the video (full HD).  I changed the settings the dashboard, but didn't try the MS Dash.  I'll check that tonight.

Thanks.

sjlee

• Archived User
Recalibrating Screen
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Feb 5 2011, 10:03 AM) View Post

I checked my MS Dash and it's set up as "Widescreen" with all the resolutions set to "Yes".

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Recalibrating Screen
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »

THe UnleashX dash has screen positioning options under System > Settings.  

What about the games themselves are they off centre as well? If not there isn't much you can do which is just going to affect the FMV. FMVs in console games are often all over the place and can be letter-boxed, window-boxed and positioned left/right/above/below centre.

I know from my own experience with a Sony WS TV that the factory settings for screen centring and geometry in general can be way off ideal. Overscan could be hiding the problem and that might explain why you only notice it with non-full screen FMV.  

Going into the TV's service menu (not recommended for newbies) or employing a TV engineer (expensive) to do the same might solve the problem.

Only a suggestion which may not be acceptable for you but you don't sound too bothered about the dash you're using: I've found that using UnleashX to centre/size the screen seems to apply to anything else you boot from it ie. apps and games. Swap to UnleashX and run EvoX as an app.

The other obvious alternative is to do the same but using XBMC as your main dash.

sjlee

• Archived User
Recalibrating Screen
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Feb 11 2011, 05:59 PM) View Post

THe UnleashX dash has screen positioning options under System > Settings.  

What about the games themselves are they off centre as well? If not there isn't much you can do which is just going to affect the FMV. FMVs in console games are often all over the place and can be letter-boxed, window-boxed and positioned left/right/above/below centre.

I know from my own experience with a Sony WS TV that the factory settings for screen centring and geometry in general can be way off ideal. Overscan could be hiding the problem and that might explain why you only notice it with non-full screen FMV.  

Going into the TV's service menu (not recommended for newbies) or employing a TV engineer (expensive) to do the same might solve the problem.

Only a suggestion which may not be acceptable for you but you don't sound too bothered about the dash you're using: I've found that using UnleashX to centre/size the screen seems to apply to anything else you boot from it ie. apps and games. Swap to UnleashX and run EvoX as an app.

The other obvious alternative is to do the same but using XBMC as your main dash.

I changed the default dashboard from EvoX to UnleashX and used the screen calibration, but it didn't seem to make any difference.  The game I noticed the problem on is Justice League Heroes.  It's not so much that it's off-center, but rather the sides seem to be wider than the TV screen, and it's during gameplay.  I'll try another game that has icons near the edges to see if they're cut-off as well.

Funny you should mention a Sony WS TV, because the TV I'm using is a Sony WS TV (HD CRT).  Unfortunately, the TV only has adjustments for tilt and height adjustment... not width.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Recalibrating Screen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »

It does sound like this is a mix of factory set TV overscan and centring rather than a correctable dashboard/Xbox problem.

But one thing occurs to me to ask is whether the Xbox game supports WS? Surprising numbers don't so no matter what you have set in the dash it could be simply the TV reformatting a non-WS ie. 4:3 game.

It is usually automatic by default. Add this reformatting to overscan and a CRT where you also have the screen surround intruding into the picture area by, typically, 1/2" all sides and you can lose a significant amount of the edges of the image area.  

Using 4:3 will deal with any of that but won't help you with any centring issues. An offset 4:3 picture area on a WS TV is a particular dislike of mine too. But as I said short of risking going into the TV service menu there's no solution I know of.

sjlee

• Archived User
Recalibrating Screen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Feb 14 2011, 07:52 AM) View Post

It does sound like this is a mix of factory set TV overscan and centring rather than a correctable dashboard/Xbox problem.

But one thing occurs to me to ask is whether the Xbox game supports WS? Surprising numbers don't so no matter what you have set in the dash it could be simply the TV reformatting a non-WS ie. 4:3 game.

It is usually automatic by default. Add this reformatting to overscan and a CRT where you also have the screen surround intruding into the picture area by, typically, 1/2" all sides and you can lose a significant amount of the edges of the image area.  

Using 4:3 will deal with any of that but won't help you with any centring issues. An offset 4:3 picture area on a WS TV is a particular dislike of mine too. But as I said short of risking going into the TV service menu there's no solution I know of.

Yes, I believe the game does support WS (16:9) as well as HD (720p).

I did notice that this game is backwards compatible on the 360, so I might try that to see if it looks any different.

Thanks for your replies.