xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do You Want Backwards Compatibility,  (Read 1000 times)

mckenn88

• Recovered User
Do You Want Backwards Compatibility,
« on: September 21, 2004, 02:55:00 PM »

personally id rather just keep my xbox n have the xenon be be awesome.

thepill

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »

Is there any say on whether you can play xbox games on the xenon?

anthonyw692

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »

To me personally it doesn't matter because I already have an Xbox. But to the consumer I think that it is a big selling point if they make the Xbox2 Backwords compatible. Just look at all the people that baught the Ps2 on the basis of it being backword compatible. I think MS would be losing money if they don't do it...

thepill

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »

right on anthonyw692

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »

I dont really care, but i would prefer better graphics, over backwards compatibility. I mean who wants to play PS1 games on a ps2?. and if you still wanna play ur xbox games, then thats why you have an xbox.

tennis_teen

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

To me personally it doesn't matter because I already have an Xbox. But to the consumer I think that it is a big selling point if they make the Xbox2 Backwords compatible. Just look at all the people that baught the Ps2 on the basis of it being backword compatible. I think MS would be losing money if they don't do it...

i agree completely

I dont really care, but i would prefer better graphics, over backwards compatibility. I mean who wants to play PS1 games on a ps2?. and if you still wanna play ur xbox games, then thats why you have an xbox.

i agree completely

:huh: hmmmmm.........

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »

well i think it could have both.... all it would need is a few old instructions or some sort of emulation, or even just be able to lauch the original MS dash right before you start to play... or have a bios selector of some sort (thats just asking for hacking though)

Lightsier

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 01:50:00 AM »

Well, if Xbox2 had backwards compatibility, that would be MS saying "Hey, here's the keys to hacking Xbox2."

Scan-C

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 03:40:00 AM »

QUOTE (Lightsier @ Sep 22 2004, 08:50 AM)
Well, if Xbox2 had backwards compatibility, that would be MS saying "Hey, here's the keys to hacking Xbox2."

why should it? there's a possibility of a bug that allows execution of unsigned code but that could happen with every other software too. it isn't as ms would have to put the xbox parts in the xenon.
another thing is ms has virtual pc... this could easily be addepted to function as an xbox emulator in the xenon.

and to the guy who asked who would play ps1 games on a ps2. i do. i love those rpg's and i don't feel like buying a 3rd ps1 because my other 2 crapped out.

Intensecure

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 03:22:00 AM »

and to the guy who asked who would play ps1 games on a ps2. i do. i love those rpg's and i don't feel like buying a 3rd ps1 because my other 2 crapped out.

My brother has a PS2. He bought a whole load of really cheap original games which were PS1 and PS2 which gave him a great games collection that he is satisfied with. He doesn't have many bucks to chuck around.
If a PS3 came out that could utilise his existing collection there is no doubt that he would choose it over the Xbox2. If Xbox2 was backwards compatible, he might be tempted to buy the MS box and start collecting cheap older Xbox games. He has many friends in the same position. Backwards compatibility sold them PS2s.
I love my Xbox, but as a media computer and secondly as a games machine. If it was hackable as a media centre I would buy one irrespective of backwards compatibility. If it wasn't - no way, I would just buy a new PC wink.gif  dry.gif

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 06:01:00 AM »

a lot of people don't realise that the xbox 2/xenon/whatever will right on a completely different platform (not x86 or whatever) and will be extremely hard to emulate

TheWraith357

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »

for a new xbox to come out in 2005 w/out backwards compatability is a horrible idea from a marketing standpoint.............but that wont stop them, personally i dont care since i have a modded box....but its kind of a slap in the face to those who dont you know?    if they dont make it backwards compatible   it will show in sales........its like this video game companies think that they make a new system and every1 forget about all the games they loved be4.........thats definetly not the case for me...i play more p21 games on my ps2 than new games..........im a very picky gamer smile.gif

t_skraggs

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »

It shouldn't be a slap in the face at all.  People who don't buy an moddable XBox for $150 probably aren't going to buy a non-moddable $400 XBox 2 just because it'll play XBox games that have already been around for 4 years.  If the XBox 2 won't play XBox games, then those that want an XBox can get one.  Just look at how much a PS1 or N64 cost.  PS1s can be bought retail for $50 new.  N64s can be bought on eBay with 20 games for about $20.  I'm guessing the XBox will drop well below $100 (new) once the XBox 2 comes out.  The $150 entry price into the XBox world will no longer hold back those that couldn't afford it previously.

Personally, I'd love to see backward compatibility solely for the sake of not having 2 consoles under the TV.

Trisman

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »

M$ is a lot like the Roman Empire.  They dont that much in the way of innovation, they simply emulate that which their competitors do.  And in a much grander scale than those competitors can do because of M$'s greater resources.  Since the PS2 has backwards compatibility, as does the Gameboy Advance, and it has been shown that this has positivly affected sales.  So M$ will follow suit.  We will have backwards compatibility whether or not we want it.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 05:56:00 AM »

thats actually a good point trisman. nice thinking
Pages: [1] 2