xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "project 411gb" Is Complete!  (Read 121 times)

SSChevy2001

• Archived User
"project 411gb" Is Complete!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2002, 10:30:00 AM »

I also would like to add that even though the project was nice all it is a 4  way power switch with a 5 head ide cable and you think my project is so simplified.

John566

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2002, 11:33:00 AM »

SSChevy,
You are your own worst enemy.  I'm sure you insecurities and attitude punish you more than I ever could.  I pity you.  You refer to the removable drive bay as your project.  LMAO.  Very original idea.  Too bad tons of other people including myself thought of that a long time ago.  You are breaking no new ground Einstein.  I hope for your sake you are very young because then you may at least have a chance at growing up.

Telling someone their "project was nice" and then insulting them is still an insult and you know it.

Go color something for your mother so she can give you the praise you so desire.

SSChevy2001

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2002, 12:10:00 PM »

For the final time john F#ck you.  You talk about past post.  Well I remember a while back a post about 360gb xbox.  At least they were smart enough not to waste the money on 3 160gb hdd that they could only use 411gb instead of 480gb.  You want me to go further.  At that time they also suggested trio hdd selector.  Also their was a tutorial about how to move the cable outside of the case awhile ago.  So ferrell project was design way before he even came up with the plan.  So break your own news Einstein?  Why don't you go home and do your homework?  If you did then you should know that many people came up the the same ideal as ferrell before he even came with the ideal.

Logansneo

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2002, 02:40:00 PM »

jester.gif  Kid, sit down and SHUT UP!  I have seen your kind quite often on message boards;  egocentric, holyer than thou and no matter how hard we reason with you, you will never admit that someone else's ideas are remotely as good as yours, other than a snide little "nice idea" tossed into your response so that you can "claim" to have given them credit while totally ripping at them in the rest of your post!  It doesn't matter who comes up with an idea FIRST, it is in the execution that counts, and in our collcetive opinion Ferrell has done one hell of a job on his creation!  I truly do pity you Chevy, and your juvinile response to someone else's brilliant execution of a well thought out idea.  And John is dead right, when he said that Ferrell's switchable box is far more modular than a "mobile rack" approach.  Not to mention that a Hard Drive is an extremely fragile piece of hardware and that continually physicaly removing and replacing them over and over again can have detrimental effects on the drives internal components which could easily cause them to crash over time.  But between the thickness of your skull and the shit within it, I don't think logic can penetrate far enough to do any good at all.  And did you happen to read Ferrell's previous posts that state quite clearly that storage space is just a portion of the project's objectives which I quote straight from his site:  

a) I wanted to be able to switch between multiple (3) hard drives without plugging and unplugging.
cool.gif An external case would be necessary. It's physical appearance should compliment the xbox.
c) The enclosure should not take up excessive space. The xbox should sit on top, if possible.
d) The enclosure and xbox should not be hardwired together. Easy separation is a must.
e) Selection of the hard drive should be easy, by means of a button or switch.

To everyone else, I appologize for my brief laps in self control!

Excellent job on your project Ferrell!!     biggrin.gif

cONEction

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2002, 03:17:00 PM »

huh.gif

Dark Schneider

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2002, 08:26:00 PM »

Jesus you people need to stop these pissing contests!
This was Ferrells thread for HIS project that he wanted to share because he thought it was cool and that we would all appreciate it.
For those raining on his thread, make your own fucking thread!

bluespot

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2002, 08:39:00 PM »

Ferrel,

Great work with this project...I especially like the creative approach of using the power to switch between active drives.  I never woulda thought of that!

I do have a small question for you.  Wouldn't it be possible to save a little soldering by using a 3 pole 3 pos switch instead?  I haven't taken a multimeter to my computer, nor do I claim to be an expert on PC power supplies, but I can't see any electrical reason why a common ground would not work.  As a matter of fact, if you take a look inside a power supply, all the ground wires go to the same place and there is no difference between the wires labeled as 5V GND and 12V GND (at least in the ones I've taken apart).

A little off topic (but possibly enlightening), maybe someone could explain why the spec calls for 2 separate ground wires on the molex power connectors when in reality, both of those wires are identical and having only one would suffice.

GTac01

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2002, 08:48:00 PM »

beerchug.gif i read ur tutorial before it was posted here i think. Nice thinking, and that pc case idea rockz, only Q i have for u is that u made the original cases's led lights to work. How?

ferrell

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2002, 11:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (bluespot @ Sep 18 2002, 02:39 AM)
Ferrel,

Great work with this project...I especially like the creative approach of using the power to switch between active drives.  I never woulda thought of that!

I do have a small question for you.  Wouldn't it be possible to save a little soldering by using a 3 pole 3 pos switch instead?  I haven't taken a multimeter to my computer, nor do I claim to be an expert on PC power supplies, but I can't see any electrical reason why a common ground would not work.  As a matter of fact, if you take a look inside a power supply, all the ground wires go to the same place and there is no difference between the wires labeled as 5V GND and 12V GND (at least in the ones I've taken apart).

A little off topic (but possibly enlightening), maybe someone could explain why the spec calls for 2 separate ground wires on the molex power connectors when in reality, both of those wires are identical and having only one would suffice.

Yes, technically, the two ground wires go back to the same common ground. However, I believe the original spec called for two ground wires to make sure there was enough COPPER to carry the AMPERAGE of both positive voltage connections back to ground. The worst offending modern ATA drives (7200rpm) will draw 2.5A during spinup. Internally, I'm running 20 gauge copper which should easily handle 2A. I guess I could have gotten away with 3 conductors instead of 4, but I thought I'd better be safe than sorry.

ferrell

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2002, 11:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (GTac01 @ Sep 18 2002, 02:48 AM)
SHIT! this guy is the creator!!, oh god bless you mister, man ur god itself Congrats!  beerchug.gif i read ur tutorial before it was posted here i think. Nice thinking, and that pc case idea rockz, only Q i have for u is that u made the original cases's led lights to work. How?

Well, I have not connected the LEDs yet. If they look like they are on, this is due to the camera's flash. Doing so is a simple matter of connecting the LED to the 12V source with a 1kohm resistor in series.  I was thinking I could use the lites to display...

1) power

and

2) drive activity

but.................

If you follow the link below, you will see the FIRST PICTURES OF "Project 411GB" Mk.2

Project 411GB Mk.2

The new enclosure is SHORTER (1.5") and has lots o lites! smile.gif There are enough lites to display...

1) power on
2) which drive is currently selected
3) drive activity
Pages: 1 [2]