xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "project 411gb" Is Complete!  (Read 120 times)

ferrell

• Archived User
"project 411gb" Is Complete!
« on: September 14, 2002, 03:29:00 PM »

I have finished my project to extend the storage capacity of my XBOX to 411 Gigabytes!!!

For a detailed walkthrough with pictures, go to...

http://208.34.209.68/411gb/

backup links...

http://411gb.50megs.com
http://www24.brinkster.com/411gb

Ferrell smile.gif

N00bvin

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 04:06:00 PM »

Wow... just... wow!  I can't express how impressed I am.  It looks very clean and is functional, with possibilities of expansion.

If some of you out there are wondering... why would I ever need to use that much space.  Think of the possibilities for the Xbox and the progs that have come out in ONLY a few months.

The xbox may work as a PVR soon for all we know.  Plus, you could back up EVERY SINGLE game for AWHILE without worrying about space.

You did a great job Ferrell, and have probably inspired a couple of us... I will be trying something similar... but I owe the idea to you...

Thanks for your innovation, because this is the kind of thing that continues our progress!!! beerchug.gif

SlaYer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 04:29:00 PM »

Link's dead.  Any chance of posting an overview?

ferrell

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2002, 05:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (1wolf1 @ Sep 14 2002, 10:29 PM)
Link's dead.  Any chance of posting an overview?

Really? Seems to be working now. Perhaps one of the mods here will want to host it locally?

The site goes into great detail, but I've basically created an external enclosure with switchable hard drives.

scyraxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2002, 06:25:00 PM »

The link is dead!!! sad.gif

ferrell

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2002, 07:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (scyraxxx @ Sep 15 2002, 12:25 AM)
The link is dead!!! sad.gif

See new link on first post.

Dark Schneider

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2002, 10:04:00 PM »

Man that is the shit FERREL! However are you not worried about the possibilty of Data loss between the millisecond that the one HDD is powering down, and the other is booting up? Basically cross powering. Not that I ever see it happening honestly, but thought you'd know better than I.

ferrell

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2002, 10:53:00 PM »

QUOTE (Dark Schneider @ Sep 15 2002, 04:04 AM)
Man that is the shit FERREL! However are you not worried about the possibilty of Data loss between the millisecond that the one HDD is powering down, and the other is booting up? Basically cross powering. Not that I ever see it happening honestly, but thought you'd know better than I.

Well, its really only designed to be switched when the power is off. If you wanted to play a game on another drive, you would just power off quickly, select new drive, then power up again.

N00bvin

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2002, 11:23:00 PM »

Could we also get this option to work with the DVD drives as well?

I have a LOT of original games, so I'm always hesitating to make "the switch" to a PC DVD drive...

I guess you would just have to get another switch right?  Or would it be (and I'm SURE it is...) more difficult than that?

If it's a possibility, I'm thinking of replacing my xbox case all together and replace with a normal PC case with MORE room!

Drew826

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2002, 11:27:00 PM »

i've seen a lot of drive selectors, and they all support 3 drives...what makes 3 the magic number? if you could make short enough ide connectors, couldn't you hook up more drives than that? maybe there's an issue with power or signal degradation, but you could even put an extra ide and power connector on the back of your drive box, and build another one! 822 gb! hehehe

SSChevy2001

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2002, 12:13:00 AM »

It's a nice project and all but if that the case I have a Infinite GB Xbox.  I have an xbox with an external removable hard drive.  All I do is turn the key put my next harddrive in an power on.  So as you can see I beat your 411gb hdd with an easy to use removable hard drive kit.  Sorry but better luck next time!!!!! biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

ferrell

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2002, 11:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (SSChevy2001 @ Sep 15 2002, 06:13 AM)
It's a nice project and all but if that the case I have a Infinite GB Xbox.  I have an xbox with an external removable hard drive.  All I do is turn the key put my next harddrive in an power on.  So as you can see I beat your 411gb hdd with an easy to use removable hard drive kit.  Sorry but better luck next time!!!!! biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Hey Chevy,

I'm sure your system is great, but remember that only one out of my five requirements dealt with storage space. The other four dealt with aesthetics and ease of use. The project, as completed, satisfied all of them for me. When I want to change drives, I simply power down and turn the knob to another drive and power on again. I wanted something that was self contained and easy to maintain. Together, the two pieces look nice, and almost appear as they were meant to go together.

By the time I fill up all 411GB, I'm sure I will have thought of something else!   smile.gif

MURDERER

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2002, 02:27:00 PM »

This design is kinda wacky, but hell, it looks great dude! You really did some nice work to get those Hard Drives working and your xbox still looks nice and not all hacked up, I give you props.
iMURDERER

ferrell

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2002, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (SSChevy2001 @ Sep 16 2002, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (ferrell @ Sep 16 2002, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (SSChevy2001 @ Sep 15 2002, 06:13 AM)

Hey Chevy,

I'm sure your system is great, but remember that only one out of my five requirements dealt with storage space. The other four dealt with aesthetics and ease of use. The project, as completed, satisfied all of them for me. When I want to change drives, I simply power down and turn the knob to another drive and power on again. I wanted something that was self contained and easy to maintain. Together, the two pieces look nice, and almost appear as they were meant to go together.

By the time I fill up all 411GB, I'm sure I will have thought of something else!   smile.gif

What are you talking about easy of use?  With my project all you have to do is move the ide and power cable out of the box and attach a mobile rack.  Then when switching the hdd just turn the key pull out put new one in and turn the key.  This design was made for computers for swapping hard drives before trio hdd selector was even design, and it doesn't have a wait period during bootup like trio does.  So my project is smaller and easier because the parts need no modifications, except cuting a hole for the round ide cable and power which come out of the box.  Just think about it.  For anyone else just look at some mobile racks if you really need to swap hard drive it is alot easier smaller and you have not limit to how many hdd you can swap from.  Now if their was a way to hook two harddrives up with a mirror to the xbox??  No data lost would be nice.  Again Ferrell I thought your project was nice I will send some of mine soon!!!!

Hey, I'd be interested to see pictures of yours. Do you keep your xbox in an entertainment center? Where do you keep the external tray? Also where do you keep the extra drive trays?

SSChevy2001

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2002, 10:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (John566 @ Sep 16 2002, 11:56 PM)
ferrell,
Your HD box is very impressive and I would much rather have it that my removable HD bay.  The removable HD bay works well but is no where near as convenient as your setup.

SSChevy2001,
Show some respect and appreciation to ferrell.  The man goes out of his way to share his setup with us through a very detailed web site and you give him shit.  People like you piss me off to no end.  I am blown away by how well ferrell handled your comments.

Respect to ferrell.  Shame to SSChevy.

John I told him his project was nice so F#CK YOU.
Pages: [1] 2