xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New Samsung Lens  (Read 98 times)

shaolin101

• Archived User
New Samsung Lens
« on: April 06, 2005, 05:42:00 AM »

i am looking at getting a new samsung lens from ebay as mine wil only play audio cds but no games or films. (I have an original drive - not a converted pc one).

The lens is £9.99 on ebay and it says they can remove the 2 anti static points befopre they send it if i want - do i want them to remove these?

What type of tools do i need to actually get the lens out - i am ok taking the case off.

Many thanks <

custard

• Archived User
New Samsung Lens
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 06:26:00 AM »

from memory its just philips screws inside the DVD assembly.
the 2 desoldered points must be desoldered to make it work so its up to you if you feel you can do the desoldering(its 2 little blobs,so no biggie)or get them to do it <

shaolin101

• Archived User
New Samsung Lens
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 07:26:00 AM »

Cheers, I will take the plunge and get the lens instead of a new drive - will get them to de-solder the anti static points though!

Why are they there then if they need to be removed anyway? <

custard

• Archived User
New Samsung Lens
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »

guessing its to absob/stop static build up in transit <

MrOnline

• Archived User
New Samsung Lens
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 08:23:00 AM »

It's just two solderpoints... If you just gone buy the lense i would keep them on, you see them on the "wiretape"... it has to blobs of solder on that has to be removed with desolder braid... would take you aprox 5 sec..

And since u gone change the lense yourself you already have it opend, so keep them on... they are there for a reason while in transit <

Dick Fitzwell

• Archived User
New Samsung Lens
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »

Almost all OEM laser pickups have these solder (anti-static) pads and are shipped with them shorted from the factory, as was stated already. The little blob of solder is easy to remove. Heat a small (<25watt) iron, hold the unit upside down, touch the iron to the blob and it'll flow right off onto the tip. All done!! <