xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: File Copy Not Always Getting All Files  (Read 362 times)

Minotaur

• Archived User
File Copy Not Always Getting All Files
« on: December 26, 2005, 07:57:00 PM »

Howdy
I am usinh UnleashX as an installer to copy programs on to modded xboxes. Here's the code in question from D:\config.xml:

<list text="NDURE Files Install" Sort="off" Batch="True">
   <item action="askuser" Arg1="NDURE" Arg2="Preparing to copy files for the NDURE Mod to hard drive. Proceed?"></item>
   <item action="delete" Arg1="E:\Dashboard"></item>
   <item action="copy" Arg1="D:\NDURE_C\" Arg2="C:\"></item>
   <item action="copy" Arg1="D:\E\Apps\" Arg2="E:\Apps\"></item>
   <item action="copy" Arg1="D:\E\Games\" Arg2="D:\Games\"></item>
   <item action="copy" Arg1="D:\E\UDATA\" Arg2="E:\UDATA\"></item>
   <item action="copy" Arg1="D:\E\TDATA\" Arg2="E:\TDATA\"></item>
   <item action="copy" Arg1="D:\E\Dashboard\" Arg2="E:\Dashboard\"></item>
   <item action="messagebox" Arg1="Completed">NDURE File copy complete.</item>
   </list>

The Apps folder contains dvd2xbox, DVDX2 and XBMC-2005-12-23-pimped.
For some reason, not all the files in the xbmc folder get copied on to the E drive. It seems to be a different amount each time I attempt the copy. Sometimes all files copy okay, some times not enough copy across for xbmc to even start correctly.
When all files are copied, it typically takes approx. 5 minutes to execute all the code above, however when it doesn't copy it will usually reach the end messagebox in under 2 minutes (and miss copying most of the files)

Occasionally the code seems to even skip the copy of the UDATA and TDATA folders too.

If I use a file manager like dvd2xbox or boxplorer to do the copy, it is 100% successful every time.

Anyone got any suggestions? It's driving me batty because it does something different every time I run it.
Thanks.

This post has been edited by Minotaur: Dec 27 2005, 04:19 AM

smashly

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 07:05:00 AM »

Could try adding the contents of your folders to a zip file and use unleashx to extract the folders with  their contents to the destination directory instead of copying the folder with their contents, it's sometimes more reliable when using unleashx scripts (for me anyways).

Don't know if it it'll improve reliability for you , but worth a try.

good luck

Minotaur

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(smashly @ Dec 27 2005, 03:05 PM) *

Could try adding the contents of your folders to a zip file and use unleashx to extract the folders with  their contents to the destination directory instead of copying the folder with their contents, it's sometimes more reliable when using unleashx scripts (for me anyways).

Don't know if it it'll improve reliability for you , but worth a try.

good luck

Thanks - sounds like it will be a feasible option - i'm debating whether to have the script copy the zip file over on to the E drive first before unzipping it... do you think this would help reliability?
Cheers.

Musashi

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »

Copying the zip file first, would add speed to the extraction. As extracting from the DVD\CD itself would be very slow and some errors could arise.

TIP: Try copying the zip file to a cache partition before extracting. After extracting just format the partition.