xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Proposed Scripts For New Release Of Mxm  (Read 2083 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Proposed Scripts For New Release Of Mxm
« on: April 29, 2004, 10:32:00 AM »

Install Game (From DVD) (Context)
Delete Game (From HD) (Context)
Fetch Preview Video for game  (Context)
Fetch Thumbnail for game (Context)
File Manager (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)
Fetch Skin (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)
Configure MXM (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)
Newsfeed Selector (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)
Games  (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)
- Tetris
- Lights Out
- Connect 4
- Reversi
- Minesweeper
- Pong
- Xbox (Thumbnail) Concentration
- Arkanoid/Breakout
- Hangman
Skin Scripts (Scripts skinners can use to incorporate functionality)
- Analog Clock
- Newsfeed Detail
- Music Manager Functionality
Music Manager pop-up  (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)
E-Mail (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)
IRC (?) (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)
Telnet (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)

I'm redoing some of the Plugin spec to get a better handle on how these scripts will work internally.

I also have a solution to the potential problem of tampering with games in dealing with high scores (I'll PM KF on that issue).

<

koldfuzion

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »

very nice list smile.gif

I was initially thinking to add the thumbnail to the Games Database xml, but wouldnt it just be easier to send a request for an image and if its returned to use it?  Then we could base the image name on the HexID for the game and dump them in a directory, nothing more needed.

Walmart has some pretty good thumbnails for game covers on thier site.  Would covers be prefered (the small ones) or custom images at what size? the Walmart thumbs arent square, so they would need to be padded (PNG to use transparency) on the sides to minimize distortion.   Or the AXS/Custom Thumbnails could be moved/used for this. (most i made for cpx-menux.)

I also have a solution to the potential problem of tampering with games in dealing with high scores

Sounds like a good way to actually allow high score db's and not worry about the tampering.  To those making games... I think you can plan on this.

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 10:01:00 AM »

Someone let me in on the plan wink.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (geniusalz @ Apr 29 2004, 02:01 PM)
Someone let me in on the plan wink.gif

Well, the scripters would merely include "SendSecurity <InetHandle>" and MXM would do the handshaking. Scripts would get a unique code value based on their content, so any tampering would result in an invalid security handshake.

Quite simple, really.

New updates of scripts would require new high score lists, but that shouldn't be a problem (or the developer could "register" a security handshake to associate it with a game's high score list.

That means the game scripts cannot be modified in any way.... no altering of the script file to add special paths and such.

The handshake part is the secret. wink.gif Since MXM handles it, it's not something that can be spoofed by an ActionScript.

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 11:47:00 AM »

As I've said before, the delete and copy commands don't work 100% . Sometimes it does sometimes it don't. On small files and folder it does, but im talking about the huge one on the case of games.

This post has been edited by flattspott: Apr 29 2004, 06:50 PM <

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (flattspott @ Apr 29 2004, 02:36 PM)
As I've said before, the delete and copy commands don't work 100% . Sometimes it does sometimes it don't.

I will be looking at those shortly.

I have changed the way I close the handles, too.... don't know if that will solve the problem. The code is very straightfoward, I use STL template classes to map handle names to data objects, and similar code is used elsewhere; I really don't know why it doesn't want to remove the correct handle item.  <

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »

Also we really need a way the size the text stuff. At least maybe some preset one like

Text 320 240 Left Small "Small text"
Text 320 240 Left Medium "Medium text"
Text 320 240 Left Large "Large text"

My main concern here is the file manager stuff. With the font size we have now the only decent way to do a FM is to do it like Boxplorer, where you switch pages for the source and destination folders. In my opinion that sucks, I'd rather have both folders on the screen and not have scroll left and right to see what files are there.  <

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 12:06:00 PM »

Music Manager Functionality

Oh yeah on the subject of music. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but LoadSound doesn't seem to like big files. I tried doing one a week or so ago using the MS dash ripped ones on E. MXM froze up even though it pays them fine for the dashboard soundtrack stuff.  <

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 12:16:00 PM »

Newsfeed Selector (Available for menu, accessable from system menu -> Plugins)

I alread did one of these buddy. It comes with over 100 working feeds.
It's dialog based. But it needs some tuning on your part BJ to make it better. By this I mean, it uses a list control and obviously it's filled with over 100 items. Now say you wanted to use item 50. You scroll donw to it and select it, then in order to get out of the list control so you can press the change button, you have to either scroll back up to the start of the list or to the end of it then the focus will leave the list control.  <

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (flattspott @ Apr 29 2004, 02:55 PM)

Oh yeah on the subject of music. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but LoadSound doesn't seem to like big files. I tried doing one a week or so ago using the MS dash ripped ones on E. MXM froze up even though it pays them fine for the dashboard soundtrack stuff.

PlaySound was not intended to be used with music files at all. It loads the sounds up (WAV files) into memory to play them.

Music Manager functions will be added soon.  <

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (flattspott @ Apr 29 2004, 03:05 PM)

I alread did one of these buddy. It comes with over 100 working feeds.
It's dialog based. But it needs some tuning on your part BJ to make it better. By this I mean, it uses a list control and obviously it's filled with over 100 items. Now say you wanted to use item 50. You scroll donw to it and select it, then in order to get out of the list control so you can press the change button, you have to either scroll back up to the start of the list or to the end of it then the focus will leave the list control.

Well, we'll work on that. I realize some of these scripts are mostly done, too... that was just my rough cut of scripts I want to include in the default.xbe as internal scripts.  wink.gif

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »

The loadsound stuff works for wav's only, if I remember right.  It's intended for short sound effects, not streaming music.

I would also like the default font to be changed.  Something smaller, thinner maybe.

To add to the list of scripts, some sort of config utility for PPF-xbox, that generates a command list file.  Useful for halo map mods

Edit: I see those are internal.  This one will probably be downloadable.
Edit: I also vote for the file manager to have a two-list view

This post has been edited by geniusalz: Apr 29 2004, 07:35 PM <

BLazeD

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »

Great list, exciting times ahead...

As always, if any of you need a hand, gimmie a holla :)  <

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »

How this for a rough pass at the clock?
(IMG:http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v157/flattspott/clock.png)

The loadsound stuff works for wav's only, if I remember right. It's intended for short sound effects, not streaming music.

I am aware of that however, how is a Music manager spose to be done other wise?  <

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »

It's cool, but I would recommend getting someone with more artistic experience (kf listening?) to skin it.  (Don't mind, but I'm being frank here)

Or just rip off the longhorn clock laugh.gif .  Looks pretty sweet.

I think Y'z dock has a clock too.
Pages: [1] 2