xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Working Alternative To Qwix  (Read 872 times)

SScorpio

• Archived User
A Working Alternative To Qwix
« on: November 24, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »

While I used and loved both Qwix and XIso Xfer their inablity to FTP an ISO under Windows XP SP2 has made me search for an alternative program.  This was of course after having no success with all of the fixes people have posted, and I don't consider not installing SP2 a fix.

While looking around the usual places I came across a program called C-XBox Tool 2.  The newest version has boost mode which has given me the same speeds I used to get with Qwix when it was working.

The only two features it is missing is the ablity to patch and titles the default.xbe during the ftp process.  You can currently ftp the xbe off the Xbox after the transfer is complete and then patch and retitle is before reuploading it to the Xbox.  And the Manage Titles abilty that Qwix has is also not present.

I will not post a link for download because the archive contains MXM xbes which I believe may be considered illlegal, but just look in the usual places or your favorite web search engine and I'm sure you'll find it.

So if your having problems with Qwix give C-XBox Tool 2 a try.  If you like it email the author the missing features as suggestions and see if they get added in a new version. <

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »

LOL heres another fix you may not like, ditch windows.  My network hasnt been more stable since I wiped all windows OS off my PCs and switched to Linux.   <

SScorpio

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »

Hmm.. except my network doesn't crash only Qwix doesn't want to work.  And switching to Linux wouldn't work since Qwix won't run on it unless your using some type of Windows emulation.

But still I found a working alternative and just wanted others to know about it and if someone finds the application useful.  Then the post wasn't a waste of my time.  <

Devenic

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »

Well, looks like everyone has a decent alternative to Qwix.  I wish I could reproduce the problem with SP2, but I use SP2 and have never seen the problem.  I don't use the XP firewall; I use ZoneAlarm Pro.  Oddly, none of our testers see this problem if they don't use the XP firewall in SP2, although some users have reported problems even after disabling the firewall.

Without the ability to reproduce it, I'm not gonna spend time speculating on the bug.  <

Xmaster99

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »

same here (never seen this sp2 no qwix crap problem) i got sp2 and im using qwix happily ever after  <

Chinese_Guy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »

qwix never worked for me. I think it might be because i have a gigabit nic built in.  And it's prob not a SP2 problem, since i have SP1. I refuse to get SP2 because i have upgraded many machines from SP1 to SP2, and they either didn't come up at all, or slow... and i mean.. slooooooooooowwwwww....  <

Q[TXR]

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

Hi, I can inform you that Qwix worked perfectly for me until I installed SP2 and after that uploading isos just won't work. I can browse the disks and manage content on the xbox but I can't upload anything.  <

BigDog67202

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »

Try opening ftp port 21 on your XP firewall.  Or, open the firewall (Start -> Control Panel -> Security Center -> Firewall) and add the link to the Qwix executable on your computer underneath the Exceptions tab.  That should allow Qwix to bypass the firewall altogether.  <

twkd

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

I've heard people bash WinXP for ages.  It's a good, solid OS, as long as you keep it tuned up.

I've had the unfortunate need to replace two motherboards in the last three years, both due to bad capicitors.  One directly, one indirectly.

Every time you replace a motherboard you need to do a repair install of WinXP.  If you have a non-OEM copy of WinXP you can call MS to reactivate WinXP, no problems.  If you have an OEM copy and your hardware hasn't changed, no problem.

To do a repair install of WinXP, first, make a bootable WinXP with SP2 slipstreamed in.  Google it, you'll find out how to do it.  Boot off of the CD.   If you have any funky hardware that WinXP doesn't recognize, press F6 to specify hardware during install.  You will eventually get to a screen that lets you choose between the Recovery Console _R_ or regular setup (I think it's enter for that).  Do a regular setup.  You will eventually get to a screen that tells you it has found an already installed OS and it asks if you want to Repair _R_.  Select Repair, and it will erase all your hardware data and delete all the MS-supplied files but keep everything else intact.  It will then merge the existing registry information, including user information, into the new install.  Think of it as a spring cleaning.

I have done this every year or year and a half, and I'm on the same basic XP install that I loaded in February of 2002.  Keep in mind I don't use my PC for a lot other than websurfing, email, managing the XBOX, etc., but I used to be an avid PC gamer.  That changed once I got my XBOX and my 50" Sony HD set :)

endless ramblings...

twkd <

BigDog67202

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 05:10:00 PM »

Great info!  I wonder if this would also help with adware/spyware that was already on the computer when somebody upgrades to SP2.  For everyone - in case you didn't already know, installing XP SP2 is a good thing, and will help protect your computer, however any viruses/adware/spyware programs that were on your computer before updgrading to SP2 will still be present afterwards and will still behave as before.  Previously, MS' recommendation in these situations was to remove SP2, remove the viruses/spyware/adware and then re-apply SP2.  That process takes awhile to complete, longer than a repair. <

brandonbr22own

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 02:46:00 AM »

I have also never had any issues with Qwix and SP2.  When I ran into qwix not working was when I got my Athlon 64bit processor.  Now it doesn't work at all.  What is with that?  Why would you make a program that only works with 32bit or lower.  Can I test some updates for you,  so I can start using qwix again?   :huh: <

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »

yay.. this works great..

i even uninstalled SP2 last night and qwix still wouldent work... might be the onboard gigabit ethernet.. or the athlon 64.. but who cares.. i was afraid id have to use flashfxp till qwix was fixed ;)

(IMG:http://sniperkilla.home.comcast.net/C-Xbox.jpg)

some nice speeds there

This post has been edited by SniperKilla: Jan 9 2005, 08:33 PM <

RocafellaSqualie

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »

:lol: LMAO :lol: ............SniperKilla..........before you get all excited about C-Box,you better edit your image........... if you don't know what i'm talking about, look at it closely............I notice 2 things in that pic

This post has been edited by RocafellaSqualie: Jan 9 2005, 09:19 PM <

fraeone

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »

I have this problem too, but I don't think it has anything to do with SP2. I tried it without SP2 and have the same problem. I'm more inclined to agree with sniperkilla, it's A64 or NForce3 related maybe.. I started having these problems when I got this new A64 motherboard.

What works for me:

Don't use AVA! Ironically enough, Qwix uploads just fine to UnleashX

Don't use Qwix! FlashFXP uploads just fine to AVA..

Qwix + Ava will hang at 0% of the upload.

I will also try C-Xbox too though, because I'm not sure that UnleashX supports boost mode. <

sup191

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »

Let me add another raised hand to the upgrade issues.  I just got a A64 3500+ and a MSI NEO2 Nforce3 board last November and Quix hasn't worked since.  Worked flawlessly for months on my old Athlon 2000+.  I think we might have stumbled on where the problem might lie with Quix all of a sudden not working.  How many others have a A64 and Nforce3 combo and can't get Quix to work? <
Pages: [1] 2 3