xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DVD Player ?  (Read 807 times)

the joker

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« on: November 28, 2004, 06:28:00 AM »

I have had many people complain that the DVD player either stinks or doesn't belong in there. Some people even want to prove that it is illegal release....of course it is a illegal release, -all- xbe's are illegally spread as well as all free MPG2 players are. MPEG2 is a copyrighted format where you pay a licence royalty per player, and even tho I have in my company payed over 200k USD for mpeg2 sources and licences, not even I could release a free DVD player that is in software only.

Now, making such a player work on xbox is not an easy task - but somehow JBone made it compile, work and also made it possible to inject into avalaunch.  In many ways even the good old dvd-x2 is better, in others XBMC is far better. XBMC is not replacable, that's not our intentions...but DVDx2 doesn't use a dvd players full potential, so we want to create something for the xbox users.

mingwingming

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »

Personally I think its a great feature, more so for my customers with young kids, they dont have to start pressing applications etc to get going, so please think about leaving it be.  Its never gonna replace XBMC obviously,  I use xbmc all the time mainly for its networking capabilitys but for the odd occasion where i just want to watch a dvd being able to turn box on and put disc in using the Ava dash is also very helpful and time saving. It works fine for me , so let it stay.

Good Work.

Sir Auros

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »

I haven't actually used the feature yet since my 616t is crap at playing DVDs, but I don't see why it should be taken out or how people could be bitching about it. Unless it can somehow screw up your Xbox, why complain about another useful feature?

I finally switched to Avalaunch as soon as I got a network set up and I love it.

pancakelizard

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »

keep it keep it keep it!
cuz i've already removed dvd2x and this one i like

racer2c

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 06:00:00 PM »

Keep it in. I love it.  Thank you!

derson

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

Definitely KEEP!  Menu support it great... I haven't tired VCD or SVCD yet, but can't wait... would be completely awesome to play DVD / VCD / SVCD from the hard drive as well.  Yes, yes... XBMC does this with flying colors, but menu support is something missing from apps that can play movies from the hard drive!

Better yet - a contribution to the XBMC menu support project, maybe get some of the donation money for the effort :-)

Still lov'n it! - after 18 months as my primary dashboard.

Trevante

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »

I say keep it. There's no benefit to removing it, except maybe less people whining, but that's not a dashboard issue  wink.gif

robg

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 04:56:00 AM »

Definitely keep it!!!!

obietitch

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 07:33:00 AM »

i just use dvdx2 myself because i havnt updated my dashboard, However most poeple will use something to play there original or copied DVD's. the point is, why bother messing around booting up applications, if you can ljust put the dvd in and play away.....

c'mon, stop winging about such a fantastic feature, that takes up next to no space and is a god-send for the younger users.

instead spend your time on XBC.....check out TBD ph34r.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (Trevante @ Nov 29 2004, 07:54 AM)
except maybe less people whining, but that's not a dashboard issue  wink.gif

Well said.  More people at XBS need to keep in mind that they are enjoying the intense labor of others who have freely donated their time and expertise without any type of compensation in mind.  More thank you's and less whining.

As for the DVD player.  Why not.  If you can get the upscaling down and menu support you'll have something that no one else does as XBMC is flukey in 1080i when playing DVDs from the drive.

jtrip

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

I like it. biggrin.gif
Don't really see the fuss.
If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

irajames1176

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 09:04:00 AM »

720p dvd movies on xbox with menu support...yes please keep it!

rob1309

• Recovered User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »

please keep as it's a very nice feature smile.gif

CrayZEE

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 05:45:00 AM »

all posts that were against this, and explaining why, been removed.....

oh well who cares lets drink!  beerchug.gif

the joker

• Archived User
DVD Player ?
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 06:10:00 AM »

said last night I was gonna delete it =)

Lemme just add a disclaimer, which I never could guess would be neccesary.

No - we're too dimwitted to actually write a mpeg-2 core, just like 99% of all dvdplayers in the world (software or hardware) ; someone else wrote the core. Even a brand new phillips DVD player uses a mpeg-2 core from ESS. If it works - why fix it ?

Still, we're giving out the result that comes out, and we're tired of the "great - but not good enough" players that is out so far, and we don't think we have the right to complain before we've at least tried to make something better.

Ofcourse, due to legal reasons we can't credit the authors of the core, we might be dimwitted, but not stupid smile.gif

-TJ
Pages: [1] 2 3