xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: A New Feature In Avalaunch  (Read 2975 times)

mxlegend99

• Archived User
A New Feature In Avalaunch
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2003, 08:11:00 PM »

On top of being able to play *.iso files, i would also like a feature, tha allows the Xbox to read CDRs, that are hooked up to a USB device. Its a big ask,a dn probably something that is very difficult, to be worth the time, but if it where to be done, man that would be awesome biggrin.gif

>lys<

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2003, 12:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (CraiZEAH @ Jun 27 2003, 02:03 AM)

No, it's not possible. The Xbox is built to run a single application at a time. It loads and allocates resources exclusively for that application, and also all XBEs are loaded into the same memory region.

So what does make it allocate the resources exclusively?
Isn't that the BIOS/Kernel?
That's what i thought out of my findings, so you would require to modify the bios, and enhance it, alot of work for that matter, but then it would be possible, no?

The kernel/BIOS is what loads the XBE into memory. Relocating them wouldn't work, because the XBEs could be using absolute addressing in some parts, hell, the XDK may even use absolute addressing. The xbox directx also only supports *one* rendering device instance. The xbox architecture is simply not multitasking. Face it!

krazyshane

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2003, 11:55:00 PM »

My xbox reads CDR's  biggrin.gif   I was fortionate enough to get one with the samsung drive in it... The samsung will read CDR's.  But i dont know how fortunite i really was because this was a REPLACEMENT xbox...  rolleyes.gif  Had a little accident with a soldering iron.  ANYWAYS... yeah, if you want it that bad, try to find someone who will sell you there Samsung.

krazyshane

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2003, 11:56:00 PM »

ignore my retard spelling of fortunite...  dry.gif

bombzhome

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2003, 09:41:00 AM »

TRU-DAT!

mxlegend99

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2003, 03:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (krazyshane @ Jun 27 2003, 08:56 AM)
ignore my retard spelling of fortunite...  dry.gif

biggrin.gif assuming its the same spelling across the world, then its fortunate biggrin.gif

and to sryan2k1:
WinRar = The point is, a feature of IRC could be to download files from other people, and they can be in zip or rar format. Being able to do it from the xbox, is just a cool feature. And even if this IRC feature never comes into play, its still nice to have.
ISOs = WTF? Are you kidding,tReading files from ISO format wouldnt be any slower, it may even be faster. IF you mount the ISO as a virtual CDRom drive, it will be as fast as the hard disc. Although, why people need ISO's is beyond me, there the same size, so it would be a rare necissity IMO. If it fits in ISO, why not just have it there normally? Unless its not for games or apps, then its jsut the odd persons who would need it.
Better FTP Support = Whats wrong with it now? Well in the current release, you cant upload, so thats whats wrong. But it has already been fixed, so its not a worry
Emulators = I agree here, why put them in the dash, it makes no difference clicking on an alternate emulator, or one in hte dash, there gonna boot up seperately, else the built in emus would be slower.

You just tried to discredit all the ideas, when some where not bad. Yes, multi tasking was ridiculous, but other than that, they where reasonable. Its more preference than anything on the rest. YOu may see it as being perfect already, which is cool, if RAR/Emus etc are added, its jsut a bonus for you, whether you use em or not. BUt i cant see emus being added, it would take up too much time, and then make it slower.

bombzhome

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (sryan2k1 @ Jul 5 2003, 11:18 PM)
hmm lets start seing why none of this shit would work
WinRaR: whats the point, are you really too lazy to unrar something before you ftp it
Program to play .iso: it would be slow and useless since it would have to extract the whole iso the run whatever was in it
FTP Client (FlashFXP): it has one
Better FTP Support: whats wrong with it now
Built-In Emulators: idiot, this is a dashboard, not a emulator
Ability to do more than one task at a time: the xbox runs things in ring 0, kernel mode, one fucking aplication at a time, whenever a xbe is launched the xbox basically reboots and starts doing the new task, it just isnt possible

spencer ryan... i know u... well since ur sooo smart.. how about a nail u back into ur coffin...

Avalaunch has IRC built into it, say u download a file from someone.. (i.e an xbox game) u dont wanna hafta transfer it to ur PC and then transfer it back... also i wanna change it up a bit... NOT WinRaR support but how about like something that can unrar things and have compatibility for .tar .zip .gz etc..

btw i didnt even read what mxlegend99 posted until AFTER i posted this... o well... but wouldnt it be kool if u could mutil task emulators.... and the dashboard comes WITH them instead of downloading them ALL SEPERATELY... cuz thats a feature that CHIHIROX is kick @$$ for!

sryan2k1

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2003, 04:07:00 PM »

exactly deltop, think about it, if the xbox can only run one program at a time, you would mount the "virtual drive" and as soon as the xbe launched it would reboot the xbox, thus loosing the virtual drive, to play a iso it would have to compleatly extract it first

Andre555

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2003, 01:58:00 AM »

huh.gif

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2003, 04:28:00 AM »

-launching through iso would require bios support due to the fact that xbox reboots when it launches and kills all running software.

-ftp client we already have

-rar is in there - but not veeery working.

-built in emulators wont be happening. No the "chichi" dash does not have all emus buildt in. They simply launch the emulator with the filename as a "parameter". Emus takes a SHITLOADS of resources.

-multiple xbe's is "impossible". DLL's is the only way to go for this one - that's gonna be possible.

bombzhome

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2003, 12:10:00 PM »

muhaha.gif flame muhaha.gif  war here!

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2003, 02:53:00 AM »

ftp in 0.47 is quite improved.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]