xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Do You Have A Hd Dvd Player?  (Read 1058 times)

jimk72

• Archived User
Do You Have A Hd Dvd Player?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »

To everyone worried about a failed format you are not thinking it through. The backing is there and their may be NO winner in the business but we will win. If you have a HDTV look at the companys that you usualy watch movies from and buy that format. Soon players will drop in price and if they do not play both formats they will not sell. You will always have the player you buy so you can always watch the movies you buy. If you have kids the choice is easy(HD DVD).

As for quality they are both the same encoding so it is the hardware NOT the format that determins the picture.

For those that have went with HD be carefull of buying dvds that are older releases new to the format. I have found some that seem to be upscaled to HD and not actualy filmed with the intention of HD format. If you have it on regular DVD and have an upscale capable dvd player, do not rebuy it in HD thinking there is a huge difference because there is not always a worthy improvement for the money.

ma71

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »

I have the Xbox HD DVD addon, and a PS3... smile.gif
But i must say i like watching movies on the PS3 better as it is much more quiet, the fan in the HD DVD addon and Xbox SUX... sad.gif

fmg420

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »

blu ray all the way!

The Prankster

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »

Frankly... I'm just not wealthy enough to pay for HD.

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »

wow, currently 64% NO - which is where i voted - interesting to see how slow this "new" technology has spread...actually it is not that surprising since the cost is prohibitive for not much improvement in quality, although probably in the next 1-2 years when i redesign my home theater i may move towards one of the optical hi-def formats...

sxmxmx

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 03:41:00 AM »

are they going to be coming out with a black dvd add on soon?  cause that's all i'm waiting for.  i'd never seen a movie in hd-dvd or blu-ray till this weekend and wasn't really interested.  i was at a friends house and i was watching ghost rider and it looked so good not grainy like on my t.v. (normal dvd's on Olevia 747i) turned out it was a blue-ray on ps3 so i'm all about getting one now. (dvd add on that is...)

Helios

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »

I don't see the point of getting HD DVD or Bluray right now. One reason being the fact that we do not know which format will lose this generations format war so if I spent my money on a Bluray drive I would not want to find out in a years time that HD DVD was the standard and Bluray was obsolete.

I think I will wait for technology to improve on both formats, price drops on both and finally a confirmed standard on which format the world will choose

Maverick0984

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »

For those of you that think there isn't much difference between DVD and HDDVD/Bluray, you are completely, out of this world wrong.  My guess is you have never actually seen it and just say that to help justify your inability to switch currently.  Which there isn't anything wrong with, just don't make up things.  The difference is extremely obvious and any regular Joe off the street can tell.  The only other explanation is that whatever you are comparing it to is an extremely low quality HDTV.

Darientuxmask

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »

to the people that dont know the real difference between hd dvd and blu ray disc, size is the true difference.
theoretically you could put an hd dvd on a blue ray disc, twice, and play it in your blu ray player if you had the technology

boyaa

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

Ok, I just wanted to add my 5 cents to why this poll is inacurate/wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

My choice:
* no, but I have a Blu-ray player

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
The error returned was:

You cannot vote in this poll
You are not logged in, you may log in below

I asume 90% of the visitors are Xbox360 users, or people considering to buy Xbox360 (The "no votes").

Now I would never vote here, except that I browsed the comments, and noone mentioned that only Xbox360 users can vote ... (well or if you're bothered enough to register just to vote)... so the obvious thing is HD DVD will win here.

If you had the same poll on a PS3 forum/scene page, about 60-95% of the people would answer they have a Blueray player. And I guess like 0-5% that they have a HD DVD player (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This is just a post pointing out the "obvious"... not a flame or anything (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »

I have just entered the 'HD-Gaming' era as of about a year ago when i bought my first 360. Thats a big step for me personally because im not a rich man. So in terms of High Defintion - Gaming is as far as I will go with it at this point.

Standard DVD's on my HDTV look good enough for my blood, as long as my games are looking their best im happy. This of course will change over time and I'll open the door to HD movies/players when theres a format standard and the price drops considerably.

Until then, the buck stops here.  happy.gif

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(boyaa @ Oct 2 2007, 05:09 PM) View Post

Ok, I just wanted to add my 5 cents to why this poll is inacurate/wrong wink.gif
My choice:
* no, but I have a Blu-ray player
I asume 90% of the visitors are Xbox360 users, or people considering to buy Xbox360 (The "no votes").

Now I would never vote here, except that I browsed the comments, and noone mentioned that only Xbox360 users can vote ... (well or if you're bothered enough to register just to vote)... so the obvious thing is HD DVD will win here.

If you had the same poll on a PS3 forum/scene page, about 60-95% of the people would answer they have a Blueray player. And I guess like 0-5% that they have a HD DVD player smile.gif
This is just a post pointing out the "obvious"... not a flame or anything smile.gif

the xbox-scene user membership is linked to the ps3-scene user membership. (if you go to the ps3 section of the forums here, you will notice it changes to ps3-scene). so while i agree with you that there might be a bit of a bias, there is ps3 representation in that poll.

voodoo7869

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Darientuxmask @ Oct 2 2007, 12:49 PM) *

to the people that dont know the real difference between hd dvd and blu ray disc, size is the true difference.
theoretically you could put an hd dvd on a blue ray disc, twice, and play it in your blu ray player if you had the technology

Look please get your facts correct you could not fit 2 hd-dvds on a blu ray here are the actual tech specs. this should help you see the advantages of bolth formats
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray...ion-s-division/
you can see a full write up on bolth.
there is one big factor that sony kinda screwed themselves on manufacturing cost!!!!
Hd-dvd might be smaller in storage but it is cheaper to manufacture.
blu-ray has excelent storage capacity but once you scratch the disk its done 100% because the data is so close to the optical side even a small scratch is unfixable the coating they use is the same as what they use on eyeglasses to prevent scratches on plastic lenses. anyone who has glasses with this coating can tell you it does scratch and it does not take much.
Hd-dvd on the other hand is smaller in capacity but the disks will witstand scratches much better. otherwise the laser that reads the disk is identical between blu-ray and hd-dvd the only difference is the apature this is what makes them incompatable. read for yourself and make a educated choice
Honestly I believe  HD-DVD just because of durability and cost of manufacture will win

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »

For me it was a no-brainer to purchase the 360 HD-DVD Player add-on.  At $180, even if the format tanks in the next year or two I will have gotten my money's worth out of it.  Add this to the fact that I have had almost $300 of in-store credit at ebgames for the better part of a year with nothing that I really wanted to spend it on and it was a VERY logical choice.  The picture is sharp as a tack on my 37" Westinghouse with true 1080p resolution.  Even over the air HDTV doesn't quite match up with HD-DVD.  As for the HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray debate I believe that the real answer is that neither is the clear winner or superior and neither is going to quit soon, so it is all a matter of preference.  Here were my reasons with going with HD-DVD:

1. Make full use of my 1080P Westinghouse set

2. Cost of the hardware.  As was pointed out above the HD-DVD Players definitely have the advantage in price (unless you were planning on buying a PS3 anyways).

3. The titles that I have seen thus far on blu-ray looked more grainy than the HD-DVD titles that I have seen.  Granted I haven't compared the same titles side-by-side on my set, but thus far that is my initial impression.  

4. Not sure what sort of offers blu-ray players have but with the HD-DVD add-on for the 360, you get King Kong right out of the box and if you purchase from ebgames, gamestop, ect. you can get an additional 5 titles right now for free with proof of purchase.  Granted your title selection is limited, but if nothing else you can turn around and sell them thereby making your overall costs on the purchase even less when all is said and done.  The same 5 free offer holds true for a couple of Toshiba stand-alone players that are out there.  

5. I don't know about you guys but I certainly wouldn't trust an all-in-one Sony disc drive.  While I enjoy the PS2, the hardware durability certainly left something to be desired I just don't feel comfortable using one drive that may or may not be solidly built for playing games AND watching movies.  Just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.  At least with the 360 if one of the drives goes out, you can still have some functionality while you save up for a replacement.

Oh yeah and of course:

6.  I already had a 360 console.  

hellbinder

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »

Have HD-DVD addition and it has worked great.
I have 42' Vizio LCD. Can clearly see the difference in picture. Can't wait to get Transofrmers HD-DVD.
Should look and sound amazing!!! Arrrrg!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4