xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360 (excluding Rrod Issues)?  (Read 1304 times)

Grim187

• Archived User
Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360 (excluding Rrod Issues)?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Quest @ Aug 1 2007, 11:48 PM) View Post

the limited file system support is the biggest mistake in my opinion.

ya well its not like there trying to compete with xbmc or anything, it would be nice to see some divx support tho.

QUOTE(Quest @ Aug 1 2007, 11:48 PM) View Post

p.s. why are people complaining about the RROD?
with the 3 year warrenty, that's only an issue to people with a broken warrentyseal :-P

everyone hates dealing with M$ customer support and rrod is a problem that occurs in at least %35 of all 360.

FahadSaid

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »

I voted game scratching cause what good is a system that scratches the disc you're playing, and that you paid good money for? It's like excluding the game portion of "game console".

techdon

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »

It wasn't hard to choose Limited Filetype support as the number one issue with the system. Regardless of the fact that I can use my PC on the display to view whatever I want, the integration of all those features in the first Xbox (w/ XBMC ofcourse) and partially in the x360 makes it so convenient and fun to do.  
It is very frustrating to see MSFT giving you the option to 1. connect to your media library on the pc, 2. connect up removable FAT formatted mem stick, and 3. Connect removable USB drives (including USB powered mini drives) and then bring you to a brick wall limiting the media you can access from there, knowing (and no one can convince me that they don't know) the most popular and one of the most efficient in respect to compression / quality media formats out there is the Divx / Xvid format family. WMV is arguably better and miles ahead in HD, but when it comes to video libraries even recorded tv from PVR software, most people, including myself choose Divx or Xvid.

The other issue I have with the system is ridiculously overpriced accessories.  Apart from that, I love the Xbox 360 and all else it has to offer. Paying for Xbox live isnt really an issue because of all what you get for free anyway. If subscription based gold membership is a prob soley because of online gaming for someone, then they should check out the alternative free options available (eg. Xlink Kai).

I really don't see the lack of an internal High Def optical format reader as an issue, because the option is still available to users, who require the comnbination of a gaming and movie machine costing them much less than other options altogether.

The Release of a core system in my opinion also shouldn't be criticized even if some games are later made to run better on systems with storage. The blunder wud be on the person who decided to pay less knowing there is better out there and wished to compromise convenience for price. The option to upgrade still remains, not like it's absolutely not possible once you decide on a system from the get go as is with the HDMI option on the Elite.  It would be like saying car makers should discontinue basic models because some people want navigation systems and temperature control in their cars, when some people just don't care and prefer to manually adjust the temperature and waste more gas while reading a map and going round in circles. Bottom line, the choice is that of the user and it can be added later on.

The issues with the discs were already cleared up earlier by someone and I would agree with them that it was an issue with users not handling the systems properly (in most cases at least).

Cheap and crappy D-pad is not too much of an issue especially when it is placed one of, if not THE best controller developed, for a system where most games only use it for secondary controlling or  as added buttons for selecting options (weapons, play formations etc.)

Funny how no one commented on the lack of a web browser, I don't know if it is even an issue for me, I was just very pleased to see them integrate MSN messenger, a request I am sure was imagined by many users of XBL messaging.

In concluding, I would say it they address the issues with the file type support and reduce the cost of accessories, they would hear much less complaints from the user community. IMHO.        <----my 2cents

Merkaba

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »

i think 99 bucks for wifi is ridiculous especially since wii comes with it out of box.

turk3y

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »

I think people are having their judgement clouded by their personal situation, but I suppose thats why its a vote...

disc scratching, all cd consoles have had this issue to an extent, so thats just the way it is with high speed spinning objects, working at a games store i say plenty of ps1 and ps2 disks that had been scratched like this.

limited media formats, this will not affect the vast majority of consumers, it plays mp3 and dvd. Wmv is nice and DivX would have been great and it still could be, so this to me is not terminal as it can always be fixed with no affect on consumers.

Over priced addons, yes the wifi adaptor is alot, but thats down to marketing believing they can squeeze that much cash out of you, and again it can be lowered without a problem.

noise,.... well this was close for me, it is alot but then I dont think its really more than other consoles, the only difference is the dvd is always at full speed so it seems louder, if that makes scence, I think as a level its on par with others but as a percentage of time at its maximum its there a hell of alot more than others.

headset... seemed fine to me for an included accessory, mine is a liitle faulty but all my friends work perfect so no real complaints.

gold fee, you get what you pay for, plus ebay is great for cheap scratch cards.

dpad...  it was never going to be a saturn pad, so always inferior wink.gif

second to worst decision, no HD, now this i think was bad, personally I think as hd-dvd is so close to dvd and its selling points are the small cost to move to it, I think its crazy they did not go ahead with this, they aimed the rest of the 360 at HD, I think the 360 was just that fraction too early, there where not HD players I dont think at that time so it would have ment delaying the 360 and they knew they could do an external solution, so the real crux here is no HD in the elite and no hdmi on the original.... it was just to early and hdmi is not 100% needed so its a forgivable sin if the above where better.

But the no.1 main weakness was the lack of HDD. They claimed they dont need the storage because compression techniques will overcome the space limitations, now that is true, but because of memory limits would it not have been better to then have a HDD on all systems so that this highly compressed data could be preloaded / decompressed somewhere to reduce to load on the system..... This I feel is the worst design flaw as because they have sold systems without a hdd developers cannot presume there is one, so no change now will change the fact that a hdd might not be present, and I cant see m$ allowing games that require a hdd to pass certification.

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »

Limited filetype support for media playback
Use your computer
No internal High-Def/Capacity Disc
It's a choice. Choices are nice. I have the external add-on. I plan on getting 300 in HD-DVD soon!
Overpriced accessoires (WiFi Adapter, HDD, ...)
Solution-
Use a wire
Use an alternate wireless adapter
Buy a Premium or Elite
Get a 3rd party accessory
Lack of a webbrowser
Use your computer
Crappy D-pad
Never really noticed this TBH..
Low quality of standard headset
I guess mines a little quiet?
Make HDD optional (Core system)
I voted for this. All SKUs should have an HDD.
Noise produced by the 360
Ehh, it can get a little noisy, but that's what the "Up" volume button is for
Read/Scratch-disc issues with DVD-ROM
Had this happen once (to my GH2 disc).. still works perfectly though.
Live Gold fee for online gaming
Xbox Live has always been worth paying for.

justin56007

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »

HDD - Thats waht sold the xbox tongue.gif

halohack

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(jimbobjim @ Aug 2 2007, 02:00 AM) View Post

Forget about the scratching issues, they are rare, what about the fact that half of the DVD rom drives fail to open when the console is vertical? I've flashed quite a few systems and nearly every one with a Samsung drive has opening issues. How was this not mentioned in the last thread or this one?

Seriously, I feel like i'm the only person to experience this in a huge way.

I know what you mean.  My second console had this issue and the new Samsung drive had the problem to.  Seems to be an issue with Samsung's magnets.  I had the issue on most of the Samsung drives I saw for the Xbox 1 too.  You'd have to beat the console until your hand was sore to get it to open if it didn't have a disc.

Now why isn't this getting as much attention as the RROD?  I'm so sick of hearing about that, having seen six consoles and no RROD...

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »

I vote for the only one that effects me - disc scratching and read errors.  Oddly enough it happens the most with brand new games, the ones the 360 has chewed on already seem to work fine.

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(halohack @ Aug 3 2007, 10:08 PM) View Post

I know what you mean.  My second console had this issue and the new Samsung drive had the problem to.  Seems to be an issue with Samsung's magnets.  I had the issue on most of the Samsung drives I saw for the Xbox 1 too.  You'd have to beat the console until your hand was sore to get it to open if it didn't have a disc.

Now why isn't this getting as much attention as the RROD?  I'm so sick of hearing about that, having seen six consoles and no RROD...

Finally someone agrees with me. Samsung drives are garbage! they may be able to read alot of media but they are mechanically unsound. I seriously feel this should be added to the list. If you don't believe me just orientate your console vertically and try to eject your tray. I have flashed many consoles so I know what i'm talking about.

Samsung really need to look at designing a new opening mechanism.

bncrusher

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(paleNyar @ Aug 1 2007, 05:23 PM) View Post

I wanna play xvid, divx, mov, mp4 and whatever formats may come in my gd x360 without having to use my PC for that thing. Definitively the biggest mistake.  dry.gif

Exactly (well hdmov's anyway...I can play .mov's and some hd). And this is something which wouldn't cost M$ hardly anything to correct. I know they can be greedy.. but why not include this? Are they that afraid someone might play an illegal movie/TVshow? Are they that worried that it may be as good as the Xbox1's XBMC??!! 8)   Come On MSoft! Give it a break...give us a new mpg4 profile (XviD/DivX). Lawsuits? You get them all the time anyway...

We payed for your box.. now make it work with the Internet.

Not including a browser is my second choice BTW. I guess you just can't trust IE7????
hahah

bC

DeMoN_DARREN

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

Errr... Crappy D-Pad.  Its just plain WRONG

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »

i voted for "Make HDD optional (Core system)" ... cause like someone said it is causing issues for games like GTA4.

all-in-all though i just think it was a mistake to sell a system without a hard drive.... cause it's just handicapping the system.

metalgear1

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »

Limited filetype support for media playback was my vote
ADD to that "OTHER" file support (unsigned code) and I'm done

but in the cussrent state who the wants to convert thier .avi files to a crappy wmv format to watch on the 360?

My 360 gets turned on for GAMES ONLY I could really care less about the MEDIA CENTER wich BLOWS (reason above^^^.avi files)
and as such I use good o'l Xbox1 and XBMC for ANY/ALL medai server tasks

TreyTable

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(jimbobjim @ Aug 1 2007, 09:00 PM) View Post

Forget about the scratching issues, they are rare, what about the fact that half of the DVD rom drives fail to open when the console is vertical? I've flashed quite a few systems and nearly every one with a Samsung drive has opening issues. How was this not mentioned in the last thread or this one?

Seriously, I feel like i'm the only person to experience this in a huge way.

why would one put their console vertical?

QUOTE(Archonwolf @ Aug 5 2007, 12:21 PM) View Post

I choose lack of media type support, but thats not exactly accurate to what I wanted.

MS hype up the 360 with its XBLA/Video/Music/Game services, But I live in Australia, and the XBL Video Marketplace is well, crap, really. Right now, if I go to "All TV Shows" I get, "Artist of the Month" (Which has 3 songs, all of which are terrible), "Digital Entertainment" (containing ONLY the HD-DVD Player Promos), "Robbie Williams-Concert (ick.)" and "Viva Pinata, The Animated Series"  blink.gif

Yet, I see on the US XBL, I see 199 TV shows, movie hire, episode purchases, tons of stuff we can't get on DVD  here, demos for games we never even see. In all, I see what the Marketplace is SUPPOSED to be about.

Because Australia isn't deemed a "major" market, we miss out on 99% of that kinda stuff.

*goes to watch his Robbie Williams "All TV Shows"  >..>;*

What did Australia ever do to deserve such treatment? Actually Australia did get all that content but your government has banned most of it.  jester.gif

QUOTE(Grim187 @ Aug 2 2007, 04:25 AM) View Post

Al tho i think developers would love the chance to go wild with 18 or even 32gb of space per game (internal hd) and prices for accessories are way to high (come on $100 for a 20gb hdd i can find them for under $20)

i went with poor quality headsets because I'm on my 7th wired headset now and my rfboard has been named incorrectly and needs to be replaced so i cant use wireless. sad.gif
ya well its not like there trying to compete with xbmc or anything, it would be nice to see some divx support tho.
everyone hates dealing with M$ customer support and rrod is a problem that occurs in at least %35 of all 360.

What do you do with your headsets that cause them to break?

I for one have no idea what you are talking about with Microsoft customer support. Sony customer support is awful, it's like calling Australia.

QUOTE(turk3y @ Aug 3 2007, 04:58 AM) View Post
I cant see m$ allowing games that require a hdd to pass certification.

Final Fantasy XI
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5