xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360 (excluding Rrod Issues)?  (Read 1306 times)

XanTium

• Archived User

vote, discuss wink.gif

Takieda

• Archived User
Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360 (excluding Rrod Issues)?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »

The lack of a built in hard drive has forced development problems on a number of games, not the least of which is what GTA4's developers have been talking about for ages.

Forgoing that, what *could* have some of our best games have been like if they were designed with the knowledge that everyone *would* have HDD's? Would Oblivion have been a smoother experience? perhaps without having to load to go in and out of cities?

The only real upshot to having a removable hard drive is the fact that you can 'upgrade" the hard drive, with highly overly expensive Microsoft products.

A high definition disc would have been nice, but that might have pushed back the release fo the 360, as well as given developers more room to fill out games, etc. But the fact of the matter is that the high definition media tends to load more slowly, and, in general, all that extra stuff they *would* have put in, is usually given as add-ons (with the sorrowful addition of a price tacked on - but hey, at least it gives the developer's incentive to continuing to support a product LONG after its initial release, as well as give you extras that you might never have gotten with the disc, such as large numbers of extra levels, or tracks, as well as entirely new campaigns, etc. These do happen already, even without the XBL Marketplace, but they would be far less frequent, IMO, without it).

Andrew_Roy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »

Like I said in the first thread, non-standard HDD is the biggest problem in my opinion.

And a really stupid one when you remember we're talking about Xbox here.

This post has been edited by Andrew_Roy: Aug 1 2007, 06:34 AM

GEORGIA0927

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »

well i think its first the overheating , lack of free online and the fact that without cooling mods it wont last a year or so

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »

Yeah but they said excluding 3ROD issues, which to me would include overheating and not lasting a year (resulting in 3ROD).

TattooedBear

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »

I'm just going to stick with anything to do with the rushed hardware.
Disc scratching.  Of course, some people do that for a living. *chuckle*

Koyuki

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »

Same as last limited file support.

TrevCoy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »

To me, all the choices are mistakes are MS' fault,but  the 1st is overpriced accessories,and the 2nd is no internal hi-def/capacity disc!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

This post has been edited by TrevCoy: Aug 1 2007, 05:14 PM

jdsun1

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Aug 1 2007, 07:59 AM) View Post

Yeah but they said excluding 3ROD issues, which to me would include overheating and not lasting a year (resulting in 3ROD).

It has been proven that the 360 does not scratch discs if it is handled properly!!! Get over the fact that you don't know how to take care of your console and games.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »

I chose the optional HDD. The hard drive in the xbox made it a huge hit, and they got rid of it? Eh.

I dont see paying for xbox live as a problem, im a happy customer. Its a great service, heaps of free exclusive downloads, so much fun with friends. Other services may be free, but how good are they? You get what you pay for...

Limited filetype support doesnt matter too much to me, cos my 360 is on the same 40" lcd that my comp is, so thats no problem.

Though lately i've been wondering about the lack of hi def. Would have been good, but then the system would have cost more and taken longer to come out. Also, it would have been forcing the format on consumers, and they didnt want that, thats one of the upsides (to them) for having it external.

This post has been edited by flashfreak: Aug 1 2007, 10:20 PM

ruciz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »

The 360 is overall, a very nice system. the software is versitile and smoothly designed, graphic and gameplay is top knotch, and support for warranty purposes is extended longer than any other console in the market.

Of course all items listed in the list are downfalls of the console, with some huge ones being pay to play online, and shipping drastically variant systems (seems to be resurrected with the elite, big hard drive, HDMI, improved cooling/heatsinks). Can't wait for the Xbox 360 two, thats what? 2 years away now? original xbox lasted for 4 years, 360s been out for nearly 2.

paleNyar

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »

I wanna play xvid, divx, mov, mp4 and whatever formats may come in my gd x360 without having to use my PC for that thing. Definitively the biggest mistake.  dry.gif

cowsn

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »

i would have voted for only a handful of 1/2 decent games... but that wasnt on there.  there are litteraly only 3 or so hits for the system, and MAYBE 5 games even worth owning.

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »

Forget about the scratching issues, they are rare, what about the fact that half of the DVD rom drives fail to open when the console is vertical? I've flashed quite a few systems and nearly every one with a Samsung drive has opening issues. How was this not mentioned in the last thread or this one?

Seriously, I feel like i'm the only person to experience this in a huge way.

derailed

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »

Making additional file formats natively supported would have been a simple thing to do. They just didn't. So now that leaves it up to the homebrewers to come up with a solution that could've been addressed from the get go.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5