xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Did You Buy The Xbox360 Hd-dvd Addon?  (Read 1506 times)

penguin318

• Archived User
Did You Buy The Xbox360 Hd-dvd Addon?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 06:23:00 AM »

i got one, but i can't open it till christmas  dry.gif

my girlfirend managed to get it for $180 CDN with tax  biggrin.gif now i gotta get a collention of HD-dvd's started

moddingswede

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

plan on getting one, just as soon as i can afford an hdtv. tongue.gif

Suspend

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »

I'd love to see an "internal" version so I wouldn't have to have a separate box beside the 360.  Then they could sell it for $50.   rolleyes.gif

bobbyblaze

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

No HDMI or 5.1 analogue outs for sound = no hi-def sound formats (DD TRUE HD or DTS equivalent ie. 24bit 96khz sound) = no sale.

simple as that.

this device gives you a high def picture but no high-def sound. Really wanted one before I knew this but I'll get a proper stand alone. Anyone with a decent sound system with either HDMI or (more likely) 5.1 analogue sound inputs should do the same.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »

No HDTV or 360 so no need for HD DVD addon  tongue.gif . Not really taken in by all the HD hype so just saving my money.

brispet1

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »

for $200 with the full sized media remote (which I wanted) and king kong on hd-dvd (which I hadn't seen yet)
I couldn't pass this thing up... must say no regrets at all, only problem is you can see some of the actress' bad
skin problems a little too well smile.gif

highbomber

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(masterxbox1000 @ Nov 23 2006, 05:05 AM) View Post

I love the HD-DVD player.  Even as I type this my dad is watching MI3.  The detail you get is just amazing.  You could never buy a more quality product.

You could never buy a more quality product AND for under $300.

signal2noise

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »

Waiting to see how the DRM situation works out. Right now I love that I have my 40-50 DVDs ripped to my HDD and streamed to my 360 (although wish I didn't have to convert them to WMV). Also, how many movies do I own that don't even take advantage of all that 480p has to offer? Do I need the Princess Bride in HD?

Until I can rip the new formats this incremental upgrade in quality ain't worth the price.

Monkey106

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »

Well I would get one but I don't think it would look that good on my 31cm standard definition television.

shadowfire36

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 07:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(ThaCrip @ Nov 23 2006, 12:49 PM) View Post

i voted "NO (other reasons)" ... cause as of now they just aint worth buying cause the differances will be minimal to none (in image quality) unless u got a super fancy HDTV... plus i think the biggest competition of hd-dvd/blu-ray is the standard dvd format itself since there aint no major leaps forward from standard dvd to say hd-dvd/blu-ray like there was from VHS to DVD... this is main reason i dont think the public will adapt to hd-dvd/blu-ray anytime soon... plus i think it will be many years (atleast 2-3years+) before the "average joe" will actually get a HDTV cause of prices are still overall to high ... so until that happens i dont think bluray or hddvd is even worth bothering with.... plus not to mention we dont even have a clear winner between the two format either.. and prices are still to high for them.

one of these must appy to you
1- your blind
2-your broke
3-your not very smart
4-your old

cause i went to best buy and look at all 3 next to each other on dispaly
hddvd and blue ray are both amazing compared to dry ass dvd
i laughed at my dad cause when dvd 1st came out, he said -theres no difference between vhs and dvd until he came to my house and i showed him the difference .

blue ray is has a very small advantage to its counterpart hddvd but its so unnoticeible to the nacked eye we cant tell the difference unless your trained to noticed it..

as for me i learned my lesson with laserdisc & dvd +r/-r burners - i will never spend the money until it is consider the standard .

the only thing saving sony is that blue-ray is  the ps3 standard medium
but i think really hddvd will win if microsoft truly acquires capcom inc.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »

it would have either been a wii or a HD-DVD player.

im not ready to restart my collection when there hasnt been a really good movie in years.

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »

My god, you guys are right, the HDDVD playback downscales the audio to DD5.1 no matter what.  WTF???? So this now means standard def DVDs are going to have better audio on the 360 then their HD equivalent Microsoft are you F@&$ING STUPID!!?!?  What so those three PPC cores aren't capable of not touching the audio signal and just parsing it through to the fibre optic output.

Quote from Teamxbox:
=====================================================================
 However, rather than producing a Dolby TRUE HD or Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, the audio is mixed down to Dolby Digital 5.1 with the Xbox 360 HD-DVD.
=====================================================================
Read the whole review here: http://hardware.team...-DVD-Player/p4/

THDVL

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »

Yep.. bought it, love it. The king kong hddvd that came with it looks amazing. You can see all the little details on kong and the sound is fantastic!! Really glad I bought it. Exellent deal too!! 213 shipped with next day shipping and I got the Remote, king kong and the player. Cant beat it! Anyway, I love it and I'm gonna end up spending an arse load on hd dvd's. Now I need to find some Hd-dvd pr0n with some hot lesbian action lol!!

To all you who cant find one. Just order it off amazon.. Thats where I got mine as all retail stores around my area are sold out and will be for awhile.

aross6

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »

Yes I did.... and I returned it and purchased a Zune instead!  The movie selection for HD DVDs (and blu-rays alike) is ridiculous... not to mention that new releases cost $37.99!  I'll just stick to buying regular DVDs (which will definately go down in cost), and then rip them to my Zune to watch on the go!  Either way, Bill still has my lunch money....

WildMonkeys

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(shadowfire36 @ Nov 24 2006, 09:59 AM) View Post

one of these must appy to you
1- your blind
2-your broke
3-your not very smart
4-your old
cause i went to best buy and look at all 3 next to each other on dispaly
hddvd and blue ray are both amazing compared to dry ass dvd
i laughed at my dad cause when dvd 1st came out, he said -theres no difference between vhs and dvd until he came to my house and i showed him the difference .

blue ray is has a very small advantage to its counterpart hddvd but its so unnoticeible to the nacked eye we cant tell the difference unless your trained to noticed it..

as for me i learned my lesson with laserdisc & dvd +r/-r burners - i will never spend the money until it is consider the standard .

the only thing saving sony is that blue-ray is  the ps3 standard medium
but i think really hddvd will win if microsoft truly acquires capcom inc.

As a matter affect I heard from one of Major Nelson's podcast some time ago that MS's codecs allowed for better quality, and maybe it's just that I want to agree with them, but my own personal experience tells me that HD-DVD produces slightly better quality (a little brighter, more lifely) and I'm pretty sure they were close to the same tv (they were both sony lcds)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7