xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Have You Modified Your Xbox 360's Dvd Firmware?  (Read 2239 times)

esdubu

• Archived User
Have You Modified Your Xbox 360's Dvd Firmware?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »

I've flashed my firmware, just to see if i could do it when i was bored. I do a lot of modchips and softmods on xbox 1 for people and it was getting boring doing the same thing over and over again. Now i've done it i'm flashing it back to original as there's no point for me till XBMC 360!

nortnil

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »

I thought it was possible to back up games and still use XBL so long as you use a modchip that you can disable like on the original xbox?  Or do you mean that you cannot play backups on live?

Ozy

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(JustDanMI @ Oct 9 2006, 06:38 PM) View Post

I really don't see a need to mod my box until we can install our own HDD to the size of our choice and then install some homebrew on it.  20 gig is just not enough to do ANYTHING on.  And the faster load times with games on the HDD is a HUGE bonus.

And on a side note to the comment above, just because it's easier to back up a CD or DVD doesn't mean it's any more right or justified.  It's just as wrong as doing a console game as doing a cd, no matter how rare it is.

But CDs, if you own them, I can see an advantage. Are you going to buy the same CD so many times, one for your living room, one for your car, one for your kitchen, one for your garage etc.

DVDs the same but not as important, perhaps in a big house, one for upstairs one for downstairs or perhaps for a portable DVD play in the Car.

But console games, seriously, what do people need back ups for, how many x360s do they have? And for those apart from the ones who have small children (or dogs, cats or other hazards) in their house should know how to look after their discs unless they are retarded (in which case backups maybe of use).

gli7ch

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »

DVD Firmware works great for me only with Xbox one backups, haven't got a 360 backup to work due to lack of Dual Layers.

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »

Personally I hate what xbox-scene has become, 90% of the news articles posted now are about firmware hacking.  I hate what image this paints the xbox-scene subscribers as, this site used to be about homebrew now it seems to be about how to pirate games.  I work in government and naturally my employer takes a very dim view to sites advocating piracy, I wonder how long it will be before my employer blocks the xbox-scene site all together.  I really think there needs to be a new site set up for this firmware hacking cr@p.
From such lofty heights xbox-scene has come down to nothing but an underground piracy site...
 mad.gif

henmill

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »

not interested in the "backup" scene.  still holding out for homebrew, and if you just HAVE to mod your 360 somehow, cut a window and toss in some leds and you got yourself a modded 360.

jabski

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(gli7ch @ Oct 9 2006, 09:42 PM) View Post

DVD Firmware works great for me only with Xbox one backups, haven't got a 360 backup to work due to lack of Dual Layers.

I thought xbox1 back-ups need to be on dual layer aswell to work on xbox360 ??? huh.gif

Ninja Sniper X

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »

Once 360's drop in price or a nice LE version comes out i'll be buying a second one and modding the one I have now with whatever's out at the time. Untill then I dont want to risk loosing XBL

shotgunsteve

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »

Yeah they should have a category for people like me who will do the firmware hack for the hitachi when full firmware and media stealth have been released. XBL is amazing and i don't want to risk doing the hack until i can be sure microsoft can't detect it. Or a category should be made for people planing on doing the hack in the furure.   biggrin.gif

madjackal

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

There should be an option "No, because I'm a n00b and don't know how."

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »

I'd mod mine even if it just meant I could play a game off the HD and get better load times and not have to listen to the turbo helicopter noise of the 360 DVD drive.

C'mon MS and game devs, give people the option to cache a game to the HD, especially a game like Dead Rising that has lots of loading all the time.

prplehz

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »

Do realize that not all people that did this are pirating scum.  I know I thought about doing it. Just because it was a mod to do. And that simple fact alone.  But I haven't because I have a pre launch 360 and I don't want to blow the 2 year extended warranty on it just to mod it. A perfect example is I put a pc dvd drive in both my original Xboxs. But I never even play backups. I just did it, to do it.. And it reads cdr with ease now too.  I do believe though there are alot of people out there using it just for what you stated. And that is really too bad.

quarky42

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2006, 05:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ozy @ Oct 9 2006, 04:02 AM) View Post

Exactly. The pole has supprised me. I thought people here wanted to mod the consoles for fun and make homebrew apps, but it seems they are a bunch of pirating scum.

I can understand music 'back-ups' (and I mean backups not copies) and I can understand DVD backup especially when they are rare DVDs, but game backups, come on?

It's not like you can't get hold of another game disc from a store. Unless you are all super-nerds that want to protect your discs in a blue folder, you are just a bunch of theives.

The only backup of games I could believe are aceptable would be backing up to the HD for ease of use and reduced loading times.

That's kind of narrow minded!   Perhaps you have money flying out of your ass.   I can't afford to replace a disc that I've already bought.   No one touches my game discs except me so that if it is scratched or ruined it is my fault and no one elses.  On the other hand if there is a simple way I can avoid having to worry about ruining hundreds of dollars worth of discs then I'm all for it.

Besides:  Cracking the security on the DVD drive is a possible avenue of attack for homebrew.  Just because they don't have homebrew running on it yet doesn't mean they aren't learning a lot by working with it.

Jrgong420

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

Where is the choice for "not yet".  I'm waiting it out as the firmware hacks are getting better and easier everyday.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(SteveNZ @ Oct 9 2006, 10:35 AM) View Post
L.O.S.E. not L.O.O.S.E.

It's the british people who spell it with two o's. cheery-o!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12