xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Who Do You Think Will Turn Out Ahead With This Next Generation Of Cons  (Read 1486 times)

Burgleflickle

• Archived User
Who Do You Think Will Turn Out Ahead With This Next Generation Of Cons
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »

worldwide: sony, ms, nintendo. US: ms, sony, nintendo

To those who are getting suckered by the hd-dvd addon, $400 + $200 = $600 (not including a bigger hd that will come out soon) Technically, sony is cheaper for what you get.

Burgleflickle

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Sep 10 2006, 11:46 PM) View Post

I don't think the 400 + 200 is a big deal for almost everybody, seeing as a whole, like 8 people will buy the addon (which is rumored to be $370...).

As for "sony is cheaper for what you get" - I think most of us could live without the Blu-Ray drive too...(because if it didn't have one, it would've been launched 6 months ago for the same price as the 360!  And the games would be cheaper!  And I might actually have considered buying one!)

It would be ignorant to think that ms won't be making hd-dvd games in the near future, and what happens to those who don't have that technology in the 360? This is a great time to see where gaming technology goes, but ask yourself what the safer long term route is. Almost every media format has gone down in price since its' creation--I'll bet on the one without the media bottleneck.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »

The idea of Microsoft going HD-DVD for games is a joke. DVD9 is plenty, even if they spanned 2 discs. The point is you'll not be able to convince people to upgrade to play new games.

Secondly any larger hard drive will most likely be an aftermarket add-on, not a bundled in a new console deal. More money to be made from the aftermarket.

shotgunsteve

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »

I really think microsoft has it going for them with the 1 year head start from everyone else and fantastic xbox live.

I could see how it could be hard for relaxed gamers to enjoy the console though with out an hd tv and xbox live.

The xbox would be complete with some more killer fps's and better games. I can't wait for the new rainbow six and the new splinter cell and of corse when halo 3 comes out that's what everyone's going to play. Some killer games is what the xbox 360 really needs.

Ps3 is just too expensive for a video game console and is probably going to get lots of older gamers while the wii is going to have more kids on it. Also it's going to be hard to beat sony's fan base.

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »

xbox 360: year ahead of the others, landing good gaming deals, xbox live, hd

wii: very low price, all classic nintendo games, small/compact

ps3: good hardware (especially for the price), skeptical about gaming titles, skeptical launch (not even ready/delays/etc)

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

Hmm... .  .
Tough choice, I think only time will tell because it's too close to call.  I'd say the 360 may continue to go from strength to strength in countries outside of japan.  The Japanese culture though will not allow for "the invaders" to win no matter how much microsoft lose money on it over there by dropping prices.  I think most Japanese would rather perform harikari with a wii contwoller then buy a 360.  Wii on the other hand is home soil material, Japanese people will probably buy two wiis before they buy one PS3 or 360.
Microsoft might have won (in Japan) if they were able to get some quality japanese launch titles out, but as it was they were burnt badly buy the jap developers.  Square shortchanged them badly, and they launch with nothing of interest for the japs to play.
So yeah in summary, 360 and wii for the rest of the world (or maybe wii and 360).  For Japan it will be Wii and PS3, though I doubt the PS3 will win against the wii.
The wii is a bitchin little box of tricks, reminds me of the first xbox all the potential it has, the m$ are starting to see the light with their XNA express thing.
I think M$ are starting to go well if Japs don't want us, who cares, we'll have the rest of the world, Sony and Nintendo they're all yours (and they are too).

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »

I don't think people are quite grasping the "worldwide" aspect of this.

How many Xbox 360s have been sold in Japan?  No matter how well the Xbox does in N. America (I think it will be #1) , it doesn't matter to the worldwide market when you consider Japan.  I'm saying Sony - MS - Nintendo , just like last gen.

Novahux

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »

Xbox live is M$'s trumpcard, if Sony can't counter it effectively they will be lucky to compete with nintendo Wii and it's retrocade system.

The blueray benifit will be lost on the mainstream (urban rednecks) customer base they need to
appeal to, to sell lots of profitable game titles.

Do a poll of your extended family and see how many have genuine 720p/1080p HD televisions, not just a cross my fingers HD compatible big screen. Unlike what sony are saying DVD format was well entrenched before the PS2 release, going by their version of history it was the driving force of the DVD movie industry.

This obsession with forcing blueray could pontential kill off Sony or at the very least the current managment.

thehittmann

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 04:25:00 AM »

I have chosen MS-Sony-Nintendo.

xbox 360 will have hundreds of titles before the sony even gets launched who wants a system with a choice of 5 games when you can have a system with a choice of a hundred. the Wii looks like a cheap piece of trash IMO and I would never own one and everyone I know that has seen it says the same thing. Seriously their methods of control is hopeless a remote control that looks like a tv remote and a 1 hands controller. I do see these selling huge in the asian market though. Sony will sell big as always but i think with MS head start they should keep ahead. I know a lot of people who have pre ordered the ps3 but are having 2nd thoughts about wether having money tied up on a promise that keeps getting further away was ever worth it in the first place.

smartygre1

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »

MS, Nintendo, Sony.

I think that Sony prices themselves out of 1st place.  Sure the hardcore gamers will pay for it.  But If I am a soccer mom who knows nothing, I'd pick-up a 360 (which has been out for a year for name recognition), or a Wii (based on price point).

Maybe I'm wrong, but at $200-300, a poor person (USA poor), could afford a PS2, but at $500-600 they will go somewhere else.

I think that the Wii is going to be huge.  Look how well the DS has done.  It has wide appeal, is easy to use, and casual gamers can afford it.  Talk about backwards compatibility, the Wii is going to be like a MAME machine.

On the downside, if I am wrong and people are willing to shell out $500-600 for a PS3, we are likely never to see a new generation maching under that price again.

manu_xl

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 11:07:00 AM »

360 > WII > PS3

and i really hope for sony that they wont die in final stage of the immersion case ... (sony's futur doesnt look too bright ;-)

finally, i also think that amost each 360 owner will buy a wii at a certain point. so when microsoft will win this round. and each 360 owner has a wii, then wii will be 2nd!

Xboxer

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

As much as we all like to see  Sony go down in flames its just not going to happen.Their fan base is so big that even if it costs 1000$ Sony will still win this war.The good thing is that this generation the Xbox360 will actualy be much closer to PS3 than Xbox ever was to PS2.TGW(third generation war) XBOX 720 FTW!!!!

DCarnage

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »

I think for the majority of the next gen era, 360 will dominate, wii will take second for a while till PS3 drops in price and real good games start coming out.

But I will not buy a PS3 for at least a couple of years because of 1) Price  2) Sony couldn't get the DVD drive to work that well in the PS2 and now they're playing around with "new technology"  I predict that their bluray drive will break just as fast as my PS2 DVD drive broke.

just my 2 cents.

stezo2k

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »

I hope and its quite likely:

Ms/Nintendo/Sony

Due to the price of the PS3 most of the market i'm sure will be Wii or x360 unitil the PS3 price drops to a decent price. Most of the gaming market in the UK is taken up by teenagers and I dont know how they'll be able to afford one unless their parents are rich anyway

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Burgleflickle @ Sep 10 2006, 01:54 PM) View Post

It would be ignorant to think that ms won't be making hd-dvd games in the near future, and what happens to those who don't have that technology in the 360

YOU are the ignorant one for thinking M$ is gunna waste it's time with an HD-DVD game. No company in their right mind would develope a game for HD-DVD on the 360. The user base will be WAY too small. There is also no need for the extra capacity yet. Now go back to bending over and taking everything Sony has been stickin' to ya.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7