xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Which Next-gen Disc Will Win?  (Read 1492 times)

phenoptix

• Archived User
Which Next-gen Disc Will Win?
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »

IMHO - The way to win the format war.

The format that allows you to skip all the FBI crap at the beginning would win hands down. That annoying that operation is not allowed at this time thing drives me to dispair. The studios are also using to make you sit through trailers on DVDs you've paid good money for! grr.gif

Hack_Bird

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

smile.gif i know a litle bit about the difrnts, and hope X360 comes with both external drives...

On my school people ask me, WHat is that bleu thing ? like bleutooth? blink.gif

SO, HD-DVD for me. Bleu for al PS3 Fans

-MaTiCkzZ

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »

i would personally buy bluray for its storage. i mean think about it games look and play real nice now on 4,3or 7 gigs of space. an extra 96 gigs (i believe testing has begun on 100gig discs) would add vastness beyond imagination to game levels.  i side with bluray

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alex Atkin UK @ Jan 19 2006, 01:33 AM) View Post

Considering you can fit 1080i content onto a single-layer DVD its fairly obvious its all about DRM with the extra space as an excuse.

i agree. DRM is the worst idea ever

Fi12e

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »

It looks like the PS3 might be delayed further which means we might not see a US release until possibly 2007. That might be too long a wait for the PS3 to really make a significant impact for the BR/HDDVD war.

I remember reading while back that whichever format is easier to rip will become format of choice and I think HDDVD is supposed to have a lot stricter DRM abilities, which is why M$ went with it.

Who knows, it could be BR in Asia and Europe and HDDVD in the US.

whosyodaddy1019

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »

I think blu-ray is going to win. It has the capabilities to expand with the market. Blu-ray has the abillity to add more layers to a disk. HD-DVD only can have 3 layers max. High Def movies are just going to get bigger and bigger in size as TV continue to support Higher resolutions. Me personally if I had to choose between 2 players and one has alot more potential to last longer, I would go with that. You cant go with MS just cuz they have more money. DVD formate really took off with the PS2 launch. Before that, not many people had DVD players. That was accually my first DVD player I ever owned. PS3 is going to blow M$ out of the water with console sells once the PS3 comes out and them backing HDDVD will account for nothing with there is double the ps3 systems out there then 360s.

On another note, this isnt the same as the VHS/Beta wars. The reason VHS won out was because BETA would not let the adult indestry use there formate. They will not make the same mistake this time. And to all those who are saying that 100 gigs is too much. NOT ALL BLU-RAY DISK MADE ARE GOING TO BE 100GIG disks. Just like with DVD's, they can choose how many layers they want. Also remember that perticually gaming, you need alot of space as grafics get better. Remember with PS1 where 800megs was enough space for a good game. Now its nothing. And that was only like 10 years ago. As for only supporting digital, even local TV networks are due to switch completely over to digital here in the comming years. Im sure they will make a converter to conver DMI/HDMI to coposite HD signals.

NeoCarnifex

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »

Blu is probably going to win, in the livingroom.

Digital Playground Chooses Blu-ray Format (40% of US Pron market) http://www.xbiz.com/...ce.php?id=12735

More hollywood companies are supporting Blu over HDDVD. Columbia/Tristar/MGM are part of Sony Pictures, thus will be pushed to Blu, over HDDVD.

Blu has better copy protection. If you were a hollywood studio, and  would see all your released DVD's on the Internet right now. Would you be in favour of Blu or HDDVD?

PS3, with free Blu Ray playback (1080p). The HDDVD is an (expensive?) add-on for the 360.

If there is really a big price difference, HDDVD might still win, at least in the PC world...

red_xi

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »

hd-dvd- may only store 15 gigs, but far less changes must be made to aqcuire this

clickerX

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2006, 03:58:00 AM »

i think they will both fail because they will cost way too much

tennisman

• Archived User
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »

I think they will both do well, but blue ray sounds more promising

PDG1

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »

ARG!
it's driving me insane!
why do people call it Blue-ray?
It's Blu-Ray
without the e so that Sony and friends can get their big fat money grabbing hands onto the name and register it or trademark it or w/e

Ya... I like HD-DVD
but people are inherently stupid... so any number of things could happen with the two formats
like ti says on the matrix...
"You can't see past the choices you don't understand."

I don't understand why people like Blu-Ray
A.Sony is partially evil... they are entirely money hungry... but they aren't afraid of getting their hands a lil dirty to get that money (Root Kit scandal)
Where as M$... I don't think they really need to be evil to get the money... they just charge us through the rectum to get to our pockets
which is funny... cuz I didn't think people had pockets there.

Then again, It's not just Sony behind Blu-Ray... but I'm sure anyone who is willing to side with Sony is evil, lol.

B.Copy protected...
sure... that's prolly not gunna stop it
but I have found that when a company makes an effort to see the consumers needs and try to fill it in
Isn't that business?
not trying to police TV...
lol... let alone using it as a selling feature

I could think of some more... but I'm tired...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]