xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Which Next-gen Disc Will Win?  (Read 1491 times)

XanTium

• Archived User
Which Next-gen Disc Will Win?
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »

Feel free to vote/discuss.

darkhunter121589

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »

I say Blue-Ray it seems to have a future

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »

I saw both at CES they both seemed promising but I think blueray will win

whoadae

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »

hddvd is cheaper players and media. Although bluray is "better" but that extra storage isnt necessarily needed for most media.

Psilocybe

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »

i think both will fail in terms of movie usage, but one of the 2 could possibly take over for pc storage/backup eventually

the first strike against both is that many houses either just bought dvd players within the last 2 years or dont even have dvd yet and would therefore not see a need to 'upgrade' again already

next, blue-ray will be digital connection only, this outs all people without newer tvs supporting dvi or hdmi

many of the old classics just recently were "remastered" for dvd and added extras that their vhs counterparts didn't have, are companies really going to want to try and upgrade even further?
you aren't going to see movies from the 50's in 1080p and 7.1 surround sound

the one thing that could help either of the formats is that the ps3 will come with blueray, if the support is good from the start, it may have a similar effect as the ps2 did with dvd player support, many of the first ps2's were bought as a cheap dvd player that just happened to beable to play games, something similar could happen with the ps3 as blueray players will be >$500 for awhile and the ps3 at launch will probably be in the 350-500 range due to the blue ray, or $300 at lowest.  this would make a significant reason to buy a ps3 when you compare the costs to a stand alone player

hd-dvd stands a decent chance in the computer market, but probably not the movie market.
for people that want to be on top of all hightech gadgetry, hd-dvd doesn't provide enough of an upgrade over standard dvds

*edit*
forgot to mention, probably for awhile, the most you'll see of blue-ray will be similar to the sales of the psp video, possibly less as it wont be a 'portable' video type for several years when the technology is good enough to make smaller devices

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »

For me, it's either HD-DVD or neither.  Look.  Now, why would I buy a $20 movie that I can't copy to my HDD, or stream over a network?  We need managed copy, which Blu-Ray doesn't include (at least at last count).
I think it's also likely that both wil fail as the pale in comparison to Holographics Disks.

VOlition

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »

I think, both will win. Something is fishy that MS wants blue ray support for 360 too.

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 01:45:00 AM »

exactly true... hd dvd will come out on top, cause sony ALWAYS loves to make new formats for everything they make, and they never take off... haha, sony tv's? 1366x768 (768p???), minidisc, betamax.... all are technically superior formats to the competetor, but they never work out... blu-ray will always be in the shadow of hd dvd

blubberpud

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »

I'm with FallsInc, isn't this VHS..Beta all over again.  I realize if these formats go into consoles they will get more exposure but is Sony in anyones 'good books' now?

Brendan27

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 04:08:00 AM »

People can't still be that jaded by Sony's empty promises that most of what is said about Blu-ray will happen?  HD-DVD all the way.

Plus, who cares if a Ps3 has a blu-ray player in it, this format war will be decided by the Adult Industry and what medium they choose to put their movies out on will win.

stezo2k

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 05:45:00 AM »

HD-DVD

it's cheaper in all ways and because of that I think the public will take to it more

I can see the blueray disc being like the betamax format

vulgardaclown

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 06:39:00 AM »

i personally think that they will both succeed, at least for awhil i mean the vhs/beta max war both were around for a bit and japan STILL uses both, DVD/ Laserdisc war, samething and again japan still uses both, the big floppy vs. small floppy both were in use for a while, and even though dvd is dominate right now they still make vhs movies. so my thought is M$ says they will not be second again and to make that happen since sony 9is already going to use bluray m$ is gonna use hd-dvd and use all of its money and influence to get it dominate but i think both will be widley availible for at least awhile

alexhedran

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »

It's been awhile since I've gave a damn abou this.  My opinion is I like the blu-ray because it's looks like the better device and 50gb disk is a crap load of storage.  Besides look at it this way if m$ makes a cheap hd dvd that scratches dvds or does the read disk error like the xbox are you going to be look to buy hddvd. The same can hold true for blu-ray.  I will mostlikely go with the drive that produces the best vid and audio quailty.  If neither side can get an edge cost may influence choice.  Hey, this also my come down to which disk is the easiest to crack.

xXSanjuroXx

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »

I can see them both failing in the future.. moreso the blu-ray than the HD-Dvd sicne blr-ray is still so new its loading tiems on consoels will be a bitch  and i jsut really dont think the world needs that much storage space on media yet.. i mean its like what 50+GB? thats jsut waaay too much if you ask me maybe in 2010-2015.. sony needs to wait till the cost of the technology drops before releasing it sicnethe rumored price for ps3 games are like $100 which is crazy. but i suppose if i had to choose 1 i'd say HD-dvd but i still think they will both fail just because HD-dvd is an unfamilier format and is still miore exopensive to make than regular dvdwhich still seems to work fine for the PS2

quarky42

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »

Microshaft won't do HD-DVD right.  I highly doubt they will release games on that format unless they get some incredible pressure from the gaming community for some spectacular HD games that require massive amounts of storage.

9GB is a lot of room for growth as far as games go, for now.  In a few years once they start pushing that space they'll use more compression.  Once they out-pace the capabilities of compression (yes even video and game data can be compressed without much loss depending on the methods used)  they may already be considering the next generation of console at that point.

I highly doubt you'll see HD-DVD games which is very unfortunate.  I agree that we need a format that lets us copy our data.  If I buy a movie, I want to be able to copy it to my computer, resize it, and compress it for my handheld so I can watch it while I'm flying or elsewhere.  I won't support a HD format that does not allow this.  Some people may, however someone brought up a good point:  HD-DVD is a lot catchier than bluray.  That kind of naming isn't too hard to overcome, but does provide instant product recognition.

I have no faith that MS will actually provide a full featured HD-DVD player for the 360.  They will screw it up just like they screwed up the supposed multimedia capabilities of the 360.  MS claimed they listened to modders that were modding their boxes for multimedia capabilities... that's BS!   XBMC is 50 times better than the crap the 360 came with.  The 360 can barely play mp3s and some windows formats...where is my mpg support?  Where is my abilities to load up this 20gb harddrive with videos and music of my choice of what ever format I want?  Where is the streaming audio from the net?  Shoutcast is free.  Where is my Shoutcast support?  Stupid MS paying lipservice and then doing something else.  f**k3rs !!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6