xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3d Acceleration Idea  (Read 874 times)

SEATHER

• Archived User
3d Acceleration Idea
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »

I have an idea for 3D acceleration. We currently have the ability to "downgrade" the PS3 GameOS. You would think its possible to edit the OS/Bios to enable communicating directly to the hardware. Maybe even a bios similar to an original PCC. Make it boot like a regular computer. Apparently theres a SDK out? possibly a source code for the graphics drivers? Also theres the possibility that the video card is built off of an already released chip. Reflect your ideas, please. If I have a working system that allows direct rendering and have the source code for the video drivers, it shouldn't be too difficult for me to write a driver. - Tanks

Edit: the idea is: write a new bios/os, use the downgrade technique to install the new system... drivers, blah blah blah
Edit: For 3d on the AlternateOS btw

This post has been edited by SEATHER: Sep 22 2007, 11:53 PM

cohan

• Archived User
3d Acceleration Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:51:00 AM »

Without saying to much I don't know, but I doubt it will work.

But if it does work, I dont think writing a new BIOS is the way to go. You should rather port an open source linux BIOS instead, saves you alot of time.

SEATHER

• Archived User
3d Acceleration Idea
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »

Wow.. good idea. Ill try that out today and post back my findings. :-D

bucko

• Recovered User
3d Acceleration Idea
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

You might wanna look at this.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...view=getnewpost

Also you can't just port a bios, the PS3 has it's own Unique hardware, far from x86.

And writing a 3D Driver is very difficult if you don't know the Graphics specs from Nvidia..

SEATHER

• Archived User
3d Acceleration Idea
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

yea, after endless hours of pathetic attempts, ive seemed to get nowhere. The easier effort would be to change FIFO. A firmware can be written and flashed though. Possibly disabling the activation of hypervisor when Other Os is started.

bucko

• Recovered User
3d Acceleration Idea
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(SEATHER @ Oct 11 2007, 04:59 AM) View Post

yea, after endless hours of pathetic attempts, ive seemed to get nowhere. The easier effort would be to change FIFO. A firmware can be written and flashed though. Possibly disabling the activation of hypervisor when Other Os is started.

True and that is beginning to happen with the 360, but very slowly I believe.

You really need to know your hardware/stuff, have the technical experience (look at Hacking the Xbox book by Bunnie, it's a great read) and plenty of time, don't forget these hackers/technical people do have families, jobs etc,

It's not something you can turn around in 24 hours, thats all I'm saying...