xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wine On Ps3 ?  (Read 806 times)

troy2000

• Archived User
Wine On Ps3 ?
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »

You can not run Wine under PS3 YDL.  Wine is not an emulator, but simply an interpreter.  It is designed to run only on an X86 (PC) type processor.

There are many console/PC emulators designed for PS3 YDL.  I recommend you use the "Package Install/Uninstall" application to search for the emulator you need.

fugmenot

• Archived User
Wine On Ps3 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(troy2000 @ Aug 24 2008, 02:31 PM) View Post

You can not run Wine under PS3 YDL.  Wine is not an emulator, but simply an interpreter.  It is designed to run only on an X86 (PC) type processor.

There are many console/PC emulators designed for PS3 YDL.  I recommend you use the "Package Install/Uninstall" application to search for the emulator you need.

Please don't be so sure of yourself when you are wrong. It is possible to use Wine on non-x86(-64) CPUs, including the Cell, where it runs Linux. Using QEMU, you are able to execute Linux binaries compiled for different architecture. So, you can use the PPC build of qemu-i386 (with all the appropriate lib files etc etc) to run Wine and its dependencies on the Cell, which obviously lets you run those Windows executables that Wine will run.

I did this with YDL over a year ago; it is entirely possible. But also entirely impracticable for what you would most likely want to run. You should not even consider doing this for anything other than an exercise in seeing it work, because of the performance hit. Of course, if you are quite desperate, you could use it to run resource light Windows GUI apps, or console apps.