xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Got Windows On Ps3 .no Emulator  (Read 963 times)

bloodyboy

• Archived User
Got Windows On Ps3 .no Emulator
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

give credit to those that oringinally posted this
tell me ur thoughts cause i am bout to try it

earlier today i was talking with these two guys. one was from sierra and the other worked for sony and they told me about a ton of shit that they probably shouldn't have told me. but one of the things that i can talk to everybody about (since it's no secret) is that you can run PC games on your ps3.

firstly, you have to have yellowdog linux installed on your ps3. if you have a 60 gig you should do a half and half partition on your hard drive because otherwise you won't have enough storage on your hard drive. i have a 120 gig so there was no problem with that.

secondly, you have to have an installation disc for windows XP. using linux, you can install windows onto your ps3.

thirdly, you have to have a pc game. that's it, all you have to do is put the disc in and install it and you can play it.

i was playing halo on it (ironic don't you think? playing halo on a ps3 that is), the game ran perfectly. i turned the visuals, sound, resolution and everything else all the way up and i didn't run into a single problem. i was amazed to see it run so well. i then put battlefront 2 in and i turned everything up, once again, the ps3 ran the whole thing so perfectly that i nearly shit myself. my ps3 runs games better than my pc.

i think this will help all those people that say that they can't keep up with the price of maintaining a good gaming pc. i can't wait for gears to come out for the pc so that i can royally pimp slap all of those 360 owners by playing gears on a ps3. i'll start playing all my pc games on it from now on. i won't get bio shock though until it comes out to the ps3. i would rather get the ps3 version than the pc version because they are going to upgrade the ps3 version a lot over the pc and 360 version.

This post has been edited by bloodyboy: Feb 29 2008, 05:03 AM

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »

Sounds like BS. The forum you linked to are also calling the OP BS.
Windows designed for x86 archetecture running on a CELL processor? Show me proof! (Don't use the streaming thing to run games; I want to see you natively running windows on a PS3).

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »

With no 3D graphic acceleration, and only 256K of RAM?

dry.gif doubtful.

bloodyboy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »

PS3 CPU:

- Cell Processor
- PowerPC-base Core @ 3.2GHz
- 1 VMX vector unit per core
- 512KB L2 cache
- 7 x SPE @ 3.2GHz
- 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
- 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
- 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
- total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

PS3 GPU (Graphics Processing Unit):

- RSX @ 550MHz
- 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
- Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
- Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Bandwidth:

- Main RAM 25.6GB per second
- VRAM 22.4GB per second
- RSX 20GB per second (write) +15GB per second (read)
- SB< 2.5GB per second (write) + 2.5GB per second (read)

PS3 Sound:

- Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPC. All is cell based processing allow for unique sounds.

PS3 Memory:

- 256MB XDR Main RAM @ 3.2GHz
- 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @ 700MHz

Audio Video Output:

- Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p
- HDMI: HDMI out x 2
- Analog: AV multi out
- Digital audio: Digital Out (OPTICAL)

Disc Media (CD) Specs:

- PlayStation CD-ROM PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
- CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
- SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
- DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

Disc Media (DVD) Specs:

- PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
- PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
- DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R
- DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Disc Media (Blu-ray) Specs:

- PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
- BD-Video
- BD-ROM
- BD-R
- BD-RE

Other Info of PS3:

- Product name: PlayStation 3
- Nickname: PS3
- System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS
- Storage: Detachable 2.5" HDD slot

I/O:

- USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
- Memory Stick standard/Duo or PRO
- SD standard and mini
- CompactFlash (Type I, II)1

Communications:

- Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
- Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
- Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controls:

- Bluetooth, allowing up to 7 players at once
- USB 2.0, which is wired
- Wi-Fi allowing connectivety between PS3 and PSP.
- Network and networking over IP.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

What is the point of that post? Are you assuming that the PS3 isn't crippled while in Linux?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_Pla..._3#RSX_Homebrew

There is no access to the RSX nor the 256MB of RAM behind it. WinXP would barely chug along with the only 256MB of RAM left even if Linux weren't taking a large portion of it. With this setup there is no way you can support Linux, WinXP and Halo all at the same time.

Halo needs 128MB of system RAM. That leaves 128MB for Linux and Windows virtualization.
Plus, Halo needs a 32MB video card.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829479

Not happening.

Also, did you see how I made claims and used links to back them up? It makes for an easier read than a blank copy and paste with little context or formatting.

This post has been edited by throwingks: Mar 1 2008, 02:46 AM

bloodyboy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »

i'm just calling it how i see it go to the link i posted above to see for yallselves and dont come at me with the crap i just want to here what yall think bout the idea this person had

again this is not me!

This post has been edited by bloodyboy: Mar 1 2008, 03:32 PM

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »

he did tell you about the idea that guy had, and thats its total BS.

first of all, the PS3 uses a PPC architecture, where as windows will only run on a x86. PPC uses a completly different set of instructions to run.

Secondly, Linux cannot run .exe files (unless using WINE, but thats emulation)

thirdly, how is the CPU, GPU, I/O device, or anything able to be used without the correct drivers?

fourthly, the Windows install relies heavily on the PC's BIOS, how is the PS3 able to do that with a BIOS that it has never seen before?

fifthly, have you ever run WinXP with only 256mb of RAM? thats slow in itself without running halo with requires even more RAM running at full settings which he claimed to do.

also notice how the topic is over 6 months old with no new replies. and neither of them could provide any full proof, a screenshot of the system tab would of been enough

derf

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »

You can do it, and it works. The PS3 version of Linux only displays what’s running on the PC, so it’s a gamming version of remote desktop, nothing more than that.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Mar 1 2008, 08:51 PM) View Post

he did tell you about the idea that guy had, and thats its total BS.

first of all, the PS3 uses a PPC architecture, where as windows will only run on a x86. PPC uses a completly different set of instructions to run.

Secondly, Linux cannot run .exe files (unless using WINE, but thats emulation)

thirdly, how is the CPU, GPU, I/O device, or anything able to be used without the correct drivers?

fourthly, the Windows install relies heavily on the PC's BIOS, how is the PS3 able to do that with a BIOS that it has never seen before?

fifthly, have you ever run WinXP with only 256mb of RAM? thats slow in itself without running halo with requires even more RAM running at full settings which he claimed to do.

also notice how the topic is over 6 months old with no new replies. and neither of them could provide any full proof, a screenshot of the system tab would of been enough

I agree, but I just ressurected a friend's box that's 750MHz Duron + 192MB of RAM; actually runs XP quite nice.

Again, his processor is x86 wink.gif

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »

it will run quite nice for the first month or so, even longer if you have optimized it. but once a few programs get installed, the registry gets bigger and more startup services/programs, it will slow down considerably.

i useto run winXP on a P2 333mhz and 192mb of RAM (128mb + 64mb) and it would run fine at first, but i would find myself having to reformat and reinstall winXP quite a bit. it was also a problem to play any games in and there wasnt enough free RAM, so i ended up dual-booting to Win98 SE