xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PS3OS v2.10 'fixed' OtherOS RSX Access  (Read 331 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
PS3OS v2.10 'fixed' OtherOS RSX Access
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 18-12-2007 23:11 EST

From eurasia.nu

Unfortunately it seems Sony have plugged the RSX access according to members over at ps2dev.org, bad news for those of us who want to access 3D graphics from Linux. Check this topic in the ps3 tech forum for hacking related info and download links.

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »

OK choice is simple now.

If you want DivX playback on PS3 through XBM and you are not a coder, go for 2.10 (a one way trip, unless you have infectus installed inside the PS3).

If you are a coder, do not upgrade to 2.10.
That way you have RSX under control in your programs and you will get DivX players sources that will be able to use RSX (PS3's GPU).

The day PS3's will get out from factory with fw>=2.10, you can be sure the motivation will be so high to downgrade PS3's that hacking pressure will be hign enough again to get PS3 security down.
It's as usual... most intelligent hackers will help homebrew and a bad side effect will be piracy. Sony has clearly let a safety belt go...
(i.e let homebrewers play with unhacked hardware)

Greedy greedy Sony...

Strong advise : Download QUICKLY fw 2.01 (won't remain online for long...)

This post has been edited by openxdkman: Dec 19 2007, 10:45 AM

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »

Of course, if you are not a coder but want to play with what coders will do with RSX, don't upgrade as well.

EDIT: Geoff's kernel seems dead too with this firmware (i.e half linux installations, even those not modified for RSX access, according to iron peter)
Conclusion : Catastrophe in Linux world on PS3... if you upgrade to 2.10...

This post has been edited by openxdkman: Dec 19 2007, 01:48 PM

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »

Not sure about geoff's kernel finally... Maybe a problem with latest version of kboot

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »

I'd be willing to pay a small amount for RSX access in Yellow Dog Linux. Terrosoft said they were working on a solution but it's all about money, the wireless adapter wasn't accessible under the hypervisor and they allowed access in later version in Linux.

So I don't think it would be bad if Sony encoureged game development, if they want more Arcade style games they need to create an XNA style system but if they gave full access for a small price then some awesome games would appear and Sony could make a channel for them via Home or PSStore then it would be really cool.

As long as they don't cripple it like XNA they could have a really good system, like paying £50 or whatever it is to play XNA games on your 360 and you don't even get full hardware access then it is really turning of basement developers, on the Commodore 64 you just start it up and start coding, even we payed about £10 I would be happy to get full RSX access officeally.