xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Linux On Ps3  (Read 276 times)

AliasCT

• Archived User
Linux On Ps3
« on: December 13, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »

Hi, I'm more familiar with the xbox modding scene, but my friend recently got a PS3 with an 80GB hard drive, and he was interested in running some emulators (and thats about it) from the PS3. After hunting around and hearing that linux was supported on the PS3, I figured that it would be easiest to put Linux on his PS3, and then hunt down some Linux compatible Emulators.

I've looked over the installation tuts for Yellow Dog Linux (the one that is supposedly for PS3?), and I understand how to install it. Here are the problems.

My first stumbling block is that he's using composite cables to hook up to his projector (old projector, go figure with his nice new surround sound system :-P), and while its possible to install using SD, it seems more complicated and I've heard it looks like crap. Is that true? Would it matter on a projector?

Are there other versions of Linux that are (right now) easier to use / install / look better? I'm not really familiar with Linux so I'd rather not get too heavy into modifications, but I will if I have to.

Is Linux just a waiting game 'til the graphics drivers come out and it's optimized?