xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Access PS3 Nvidia RSX in Linux Video  (Read 401 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Access PS3 Nvidia RSX in Linux Video
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 5-12-2007 20:45 EST

From tehskeen.com:

Shown is 3 animated quads, drawn in immediate mode as well as a series of triangles in the background drawn using an index buffer. This demo is a modified version of IronPeter's libps3rsx running via patched 2.6.24 experimental, unofficial kernel on Gentoo Linux.

Full Story: tehskeen.com

notcrack

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »

I have no idea what pretty much most of that meant but i'm fairly excited by it

hohead

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

Great! I'm stoked to eventually see XBMC running on the PS3!
Full .mkv x264 support with 5.1 sound would be amazing!

Keep up the amazing work guys!

the_nerdy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »

Well, can XBMC be ran on the PS3 now since he has the graphics working?
It is through linux, so I really don't see why not.

Can someone test this and see how well it is working?

If the PS3 runs homebrew before the X360, Sony will end up taking the lead on this.

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »

and...

MartinC

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

Guys forget XBMC on 360/PS3 the dev's have said before there is insufficient RAM for Linux + XBMC.

If you love XBMC so much get a XBOX & upgrade the CPU + RAM while you can it's the best XBMC experience you will get.

kingpickle

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »

You know anyone upgrading the cpu/ram on xboxes? I've searched high and low. Can't find any sites that still do that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I need one of those boxes!!

imdbowlgod

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »

can this work with ydl or will i have to switch to gentoo.  can i have both installed on my ps3 and switch between them?

(sorry for being such a noob)

This post has been edited by imdbowlgod: Dec 7 2007, 06:11 PM

telo{+}

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

Its possible there may be insufficient ram for linux + XBMC as an app. But, if you take the base kernel and vertically integrate only the stuff you need (treat it as an embedded application, or rather LinuxXMBC as the OS) it should be possible. The linux kernel is very efficient. Thats a lot of work,

I would expect it to happen sooner or later.

This actually puts PS3 back into serious consideration (should they ever get some games going).

the_nerdy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »

Ummm....  Ok, the 360 is way more powerfull then the regular xbox.  It is more then just ram to run XBMC.  Plus, XBMC doesn't take that much processing power in the first place, nor ram for that matter.  I don't know where you got your info, but that is a bunch of crock,

The xbox360 has what? 512MB ram.   That Xbox only has 64MB of ram if I'm not mistaken?  Or was it 128MB?

I do know the 360 has at least double the ammount.

However the PS3 basicly has 512MB of ram, it is just used differently to program due to the cell technology.

Even though I think they should of went with 512MB so it acted like a gig of ram. (just my opionion)

However,  their is more ram then the xbox, more processing power then the xbox.  With more processing power, the less things you need to be stored in ram.

If someone could get XBMC on their PS3 and just see how it boots with these new 3D graphics that would be awesome.

However, for the meantime, it is way possible for this to be done.

If a program like XBMC couldn't be ran on the PS3 or X360, do you think we'd even really bother hack'n the systems?

I think if someone was really smart, they'd scrap the X360 and the PS3 and just build a media center box used for dashboards, OSX's and etc.

Could run emulators and all would be open source.

If I had enough people to work on a project like this, trust me, it would be happening and sold in retail.

Think about it, something that could emulate the xbox, gamecube, maybe even 360 and PS3 games.

Sorry, back on topic.

XBMC will be on the PS3 soon, and the further ahead the PS3 gets from the X360, the more PS3's that will be sold retail wide.  Esp for XBMC.

SBEEZY

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 04:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(the_nerdy @ Dec 8 2007, 09:34 PM) View Post

Ummm....  Ok, the 360 is way more powerfull then the regular xbox.  It is more then just ram to run XBMC.  Plus, XBMC doesn't take that much processing power in the first place, nor ram for that matter.  I don't know where you got your info, but that is a bunch of crock,

The xbox360 has what? 512MB ram.   That Xbox only has 64MB of ram if I'm not mistaken?  Or was it 128MB?

I do know the 360 has at least double the ammount.

However the PS3 basicly has 512MB of ram, it is just used differently to program due to the cell technology.

Even though I think they should of went with 512MB so it acted like a gig of ram. (just my opionion)

However,  their is more ram then the xbox, more processing power then the xbox.  With more processing power, the less things you need to be stored in ram.

If someone could get XBMC on their PS3 and just see how it boots with these new 3D graphics that would be awesome.
However, for the meantime, it is way possible for this to be done.

If a program like XBMC couldn't be ran on the PS3 or X360, do you think we'd even really bother hack'n the systems?
I think if someone was really smart, they'd scrap the X360 and the PS3 and just build a media center box used for dashboards, OSX's and etc.

Could run emulators and all would be open source.

If I had enough people to work on a project like this, trust me, it would be happening and sold in retail.

Think about it, something that could emulate the xbox, gamecube, maybe even 360 and PS3 games.

Sorry, back on topic.

XBMC will be on the PS3 soon, and the further ahead the PS3 gets from the X360, the more PS3's that will be sold retail wide.  Esp for XBMC.

do u know what the phantom is? thats basically the same thing they want but cant due to the fact that these systems differ greatly it wouldn't be worth the effort man.

just get your developers and make what would be called "the_nerdy_box_3" it would be a better move think about it lol

the_nerdy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »

I love the idea of the box lol.

It would be a lot of work, yes.  But, would it pay off? I bet you could retail something like that for $999.95 USD

Would have to be more powerful then the PS3 though, not by much, but a little bit. You'd also need a blueray/HD DVD Drive involve with that too, of course, picking a side would probably determine a winner for a media center like that.

Maybe I will start a website or something and see what everything comes down too.

Anyways, everyone have fun.