xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PS3 a Hacker's Dream: Brute-Forcing Passwords 100x Faster  (Read 347 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
PS3 a Hacker's Dream: Brute-Forcing Passwords 100x Faster
« on: November 26, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 26-11-2007 23:55 EST

From smh.com.au:

New Zealand-based security researcher Nick Breese claims to have used the year-old gaming console to crack passwords at speeds 100 times greater than Intel hardware is capable of.

Breese, a security consultant with Security-Assessment.com, presented his findings to the Kiwicon hacker conference in Wellington, New Zealand.

"Suddenly we have a massive increase in terms of . . . cryptography cracking," he told Next. "Eight-character 'strong' passwords can be broken in a couple of days whereas before it would take weeks."

Full Story: smh.com.au

Retell

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »

Hehe Use PS3 to crack xbox live accounts biggrin.gif

ca102455

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »

Perhaps it can be used to unban all those 360's & generate some keys for the keyvault lol smile.gif

notcrack

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »

I am constantly impressed with what the ps3 seems to be able to do, but i'm bored waiting for some kind of chip that allows the ps3 to boot unsigned code

Please when god when, it annoys me to have a large domineering black box sat next to my home theater set up without it having any cool little features.

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(notcrack @ Nov 27 2007, 08:37 PM) View Post

I am constantly impressed with what the ps3 seems to be able to do, but i'm bored waiting for some kind of chip that allows the ps3 to boot unsigned code

Please when god when, it annoys me to have a large domineering black box sat next to my home theater set up without it having any cool little features.

You can already run unsigned code on a PS3, without a modchip, without voiding your warranty. Just not unsigned PS3 GameOS code. But you wouldn't be able to compile that yourself anyway without the SDK, which only runs on a devkit. With progress being made on RSX acceleration under linux the PS3 is much closer to becoming a real open-source media center solution than the xbox 360, if you ask me.

IId3fi13rII

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(d-range @ Nov 27 2007, 07:30 PM) View Post

You can already run unsigned code on a PS3, without a modchip, without voiding your warranty. Just not unsigned PS3 GameOS code. But you wouldn't be able to compile that yourself anyway without the SDK, which only runs on a devkit. With progress being made on RSX acceleration under linux the PS3 is much closer to becoming a real open-source media center solution than the xbox 360, if you ask me.

Exactly..
You can already run linux on it which means with vlc player, you could run virtually and meida file you wanted to which already beats the work of having to hack through the hypervisor on the 360 to boot into linux..

I dont see why you would need any more.

Plus XBMC is being ported to linux so if u did want more a media type system, there you go.!!

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »

yea xbmc is the only useful app left on my old xbox and with me being a latest is greatest kind of guy its starting to hurt how outdated that hardware is.  I think I'm going to install hardy heron on the ps3 and give the linux port of xbmc a try but I don't think that is near ready for use yet just general test.  So i'll install some other useful linux media center type apps just so I can play back divx movies and play my mp3s off my readynas.  
At that point I think my old xbox will be dead to me. sad.gif
Its been a long happy life and I'd have thought the 360 would replace it but ps3 is more open for that at this point.

Garvani

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(mrRobinson @ Mar 27 2008, 05:32 AM) *

yea xbmc is the only useful app left on my old xbox and with me being a latest is greatest kind of guy its starting to hurt how outdated that hardware is.  I think I'm going to install hardy heron on the ps3 and give the linux port of xbmc a try but I don't think that is near ready for use yet just general test.  So i'll install some other useful linux media center type apps just so I can play back divx movies and play my mp3s off my readynas.  
At that point I think my old xbox will be dead to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Its been a long happy life and I'd have thought the 360 would replace it but ps3 is more open for that at this point.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i beleive the linux version of xbmc isnt going to run on the ps3.. Ps3 has a powerpc cpu, linux xbmc is being built for x86 cpu's with no plans on a powerpc version.. i was gutted when i found this out!! but thought id let you know... of course unless you know something i dont??

This post has been edited by Garvani: Jun 1 2008, 02:06 PM

MiamiBiker305

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

Hey Hold Up, I just Got a Ps3, Do you mind me asking a Question here? hopefully not, The question is What Kind of mods can you do with the Ps3? I know You Can Make it play burnt games, But is there more? Like Can You add a Huge HDD to it lets say a 400Gb  And also LOAD Games onto the hDD like the old xbox can?
Let me know sounds very interesting. And yeah I'm a PS3 Noob sorry for the Noob Question.

DBG

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(MiamiBiker305 @ Jul 22 2008, 06:17 PM) View Post

Hey Hold Up, I just Got a Ps3, Do you mind me asking a Question here? hopefully not, The question is What Kind of mods can you do with the Ps3? I know You Can Make it play burnt games, But is there more? Like Can You add a Huge HDD to it lets say a 400Gb  And also LOAD Games onto the hDD like the old xbox can?
Let me know sounds very interesting. And yeah I'm a PS3 Noob sorry for the Noob Question.

Woah, you can play backed up games on the PS3?  I haven't heard this... and I have a blu-ray burner and would be glad to try this out but if this is true I dunno how this got past me.

Edit: Okay so you can't play burnt PS3 games, didn't think so.  But X-hacker, are you saying there is some way to naively play burnt PS1 or PS2 games?  I've never heard of the PS3 hypervisor being cracked in the least, just rumors that there are holes in early firmware.

wassco

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 03:56:00 AM »

Well, i for one would rather NOT piss around with my ps3 till its unsigned code thing is figured out, if i wanna play ps/ps2 games...ill use my pc...cuzz...it works flawlessly...and i dont have to break anything smile.gif

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:07:00 AM »

You already could use your ps3 to play ps2, ps1 games too.

edit: nvm....you meant play copied ps1 and ps2 games.