xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ubuntu On Ps3  (Read 237 times)

Elusid

• Archived User
Ubuntu On Ps3
« on: August 16, 2007, 02:21:00 AM »

Alright well if anyone is interested in installing Ubuntu on their PS3 I would use this guide

http://psubuntu.com/...n-instructions/

It helps a lot, one problem that you WILL come into is the 15% crash. You NEED to end all un necessary apps and processes to get past it.

One thing that the guide doesn't cover is the partitions. What you need to do is do manual partition and set your ext3 partition to 10240 (if you want 10GB on that) with a path of / (which is root) and then another partition with the space left over (should be around 450MB) and have that be your SWAP partition. Very helpful

The only thing that I have found that the PS3's version of Ubuntu doesn't have is WiFi support. Suposidly the new version of Fedora will work with the WiFi card in the PS3. I'm going to do some more looking around once Ubuntu finishes installing to see if I can get it working with that.

I've successfully run GAIM, Firefox, VLC media player and a few other things by the way. If you're going to put Ubuntu on your PS3 you're going to want to get some of these apps

GStreamer extra plugins
GStreamer ffmpeg video plugin
GStreamer plugins for mms, wavpack, quicktime, musepack
Sound Juicer CD Extractor
VLC Media player

That will cover all of your video/audio formats and give you the ability to rip CDs (can do that in the XMB but w/e). USE VLC ONLY! All the other media players that I have used on Ubuntu on my PS3 are SHIT. VLC is just filled with over all goodness. I'm sure there are other apps that are good for the PS3 but I haven't had time to go through the whole list of them, there are TONS. Everything else that you really need that I've found is already installed.