xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Linux + Xbox360 Hddvd Drive  (Read 261 times)

darkshadow

• Archived User
Ps3 Linux + Xbox360 Hddvd Drive
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »

I don't care about games much but would like some hd-media player and it seems like Bluray is going to win the war there are still some stuff hddvd exclusive that I really want so I would like both.

I have heard that ps3 Linux is crippled in the graphics area so would that be a problem.

I planned on this method https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restricte.../BluRayAndHDDVD to play the hddvd's Well I understand it is not perfect I believe it will get better over time.

Also for after the disks are ripped if I store them on my desktop (bigger hard drive) will my 54g network be fast enough at streaming to watch them or will I have to use cat5 cables to get it faster.

More general what all is crippled in the PS3 when running Linux other then the graphics driver.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »

I don't think this will be possible on the PS3 running linux, playing a hd-dvd would need acces to the rsx and at the moment it is disabled.

If you can get it to work though that would be pretty cool.

Good luck

darkshadow

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »

Thanks for the info, I hope Sony will give us full access to the rsx it would be a easy sale of a PS3 to me. But for now I will give up on getting some hd-media in my house until I can do it for a price I like. Maybe the format war will be over by then and I will only need one type.