xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: HELIOS harnesses PLAYSTATION 3 power  (Read 233 times)

epsilon72

• Archived User
HELIOS harnesses PLAYSTATION 3 power
« on: June 01, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »

"The games console is powered by the incredibly powerful Cell processor, which is needed to run games in high definition and amazing detail."

Uh, I thought that was the RSX's job?

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »

Well the cell can be used in conjunction with the RSX to create some powerfull hardware, or so I have read. The problem is i have yet to play a game that impresses me nor do i see one anywhere in the near future.

When that day comes it will be SWEET.

I am also sick of all these so called cool things with linux and home and crap that is not a game I can pop in and play. That is all i want a great game that is must have exclusively for the PS3 NOW not next year.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »

So is this just server software, or a programming language? *confused*

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

I think it is a version of linux that can use the RSX or software for yellowdog that opens the RSX up. But I am not sure. My point is everyone knows about hoe powerful the PS3 can be in theory I just want to see it on the real world, and not folding I want gameplay.

Nytemunkey

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »

"The games console is powered by the incredibly powerful Cell processor, which is needed to run games in high definition and amazing detail."

I stopped reading right about when I read this... what a joke.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(openxdkman @ Jun 2 2007, 02:07 AM) View Post

That's an incredible 'paradox' (no fun word intented).
(Proof that the razor blade model chosen by MS & Sony is happy suicide.
 Low-tech profitable stuff is the right way, as shown by Nintendo)

I wouldn't consider MS's approach for the 360 happy suicide. Neither would I for the PS3 if it had any decent games that justified its price.

Lets add the Helio to the list of unneccessary accessories Sony says you should have along with the PS3. tongue.gif
PS3: $600 + PSP: $180 and Helio: $415 = $1195
Not including other things of course

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »

I admit MS may no longer be using a razor model (their crappy design seems to cost less than resale price now), but Sony is still doing it at the moment and that new non gaming business is chilling :

If companies purchase 100.000 Helios server software packages and 100.000 PS3's to put in their servers dedicated cooled buildings around the planet that will make :
+100.000 x profit margin in the pocket of Helios software owner (not related to Sony I think)
-100.000 x per console loss from the pocket of Sony
0 x per game profit margin in the pocket of sony (servers administrators won't play on the machines...)

Imagine Microsoft putting PS3's in their data centers... Just to make easier worldwide competition against Sony... from a financial point of view...