xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Yellow Dog Linux v5.0.1 with WiFi Support  (Read 197 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Yellow Dog Linux v5.0.1 with WiFi Support
« on: May 02, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 2-5-2007 14:06 EST

From terrasoftsolutions.com:

Yellow Dog Linux v5.0.1 for the Sony Computer Entertainment PLAYSTATION(R)3 adds greater than 500 package updates to v5.0 and now includes support for built-in wireless!

Yellow Dog Linux v5.0.1 offers:
* Support for the Sony PS3.
* More than 500 updated packages.
* Built-in Wi-Fi now supported.
* USB printers fixed.
* The bootloader is now included on the DVD.

Learn how to update your v5.0 installation to support PS3 Wi-Fi: here
Learn how to configure PS3 Wi-Fi: here

Official Website: www.terrasoftsolutions.com
Download: here

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »

Yay and I hope v5.0.2 has XDR support to make system ram as 512MB.

Then hopefully v5.0.3 will include RSX support.

This post has been edited by bucko: May 3 2007, 10:07 AM

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »

GOOD - one step closer to making it a legitimate linux machine.  But we still have the huge step of enabling RSX support.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »

I have yellowdog on my ps3 already, anyone know if i can just got to the update page on yellowdogs website and update from there or do i have to install this version of linux?

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ May 2 2007, 03:10 PM) *
I have yellowdog on my ps3 already, anyone know if i can just got to the update page on yellowdogs website and update from there or do i have to install this version of linux?

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/...i-install.shtml

Step-by-step instructions there.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »

Thanks man

I tried to update via the built in dud or dod or whatever the update thing is and it keeps saying it can't connect to the internet.

Also linux sees the other computers on my network so i can see movies and mp3's ect but there is nothing that will play mp3's already installed and i have to install real for linux. Is installing everything the same where you have to adjust the kernal or is this different.

Thanks in advance

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ May 2 2007, 06:39 PM) *
Thanks man

I tried to update via the built in dud or dod or whatever the update thing is and it keeps saying it can't connect to the internet.

Also linux sees the other computers on my network so i can see movies and mp3's ect but there is nothing that will play mp3's already installed and i have to install real for linux. Is installing everything the same where you have to adjust the kernal or is this different.

Thanks in advance

I don't know about YDL, but with fedora core, ubuntu, suse and all of the other distros I've used in my relatively short (2 months) time tinkering with linux, there is usually a large package repository (programs/libraries you can download) available through the update manager(s), yum, yast, or apt-get in each of the distros.  Does YDL have anything like this?

If you can't find anything like that (that is the easiest way to download/find programs/libraries for codec support), you may be able to download and build a program called MPlayer from source, and then download and install the PowerPC mplayer codecs.  (you may need to install a GUI for mplayer as well to make things easier)

The download page for mplayer can be found here.

It was really confusing for me to install at first on my x86_x64 machine, but if you search google for help and ask questions here it'll hopefully be easier.

This post has been edited by epsilon72: May 3 2007, 07:38 PM

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »

Yellowdog has an update service called PUP or soemthing like that but whenever I try to use it it loads a bar for a minute and then says i am not connected to the internet but I am.

I will try to google it. I also have a buddy who uses ubuntu so mabye he can help me out cause to me the shit is confusing and kind of not worth it. Besides folding it is the only excuse I have to use my PS3
though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks again for the help :-)

This post has been edited by mlmadmax: May 4 2007, 01:12 AM